Card/Deck Three Colour Cards in Cube

Zur is kinda slow. If it fetched an enchantment when he came into play and when he attacked, we'd be in business. As is though, it's just a good card not amazing. IMO not worth the three color restriction. I've played Zur before in a casual deck. It's a fun card and if your opponent can't remove him, they will invariably lose the game. It's an absurd CA/quality engine once it's in motion.

I like the idea of tricolor cards (sort of like I like the idea of combo), but every time I sit down and think about how to incorporate them, I come to the same conclusion. They each generally only go in one deck and do I really want people drafting "the cruel ultimatum deck", etc? At least with other lynchpin type cards like Pod, you can go a bunch of colors and different ways with it. But how many ways can I really build a cruel ultimatum deck?

I don't know. I've never actually run a tricolor suite, so I could just be way off about how much it would limit deck building. I just see those cards going last pick a lot and when they do get put into a deck, it's going to be boilerplate stuff. Not really what I'm trying to encourage.

The only tricolor cards that have slipped into my cube are a couple fatties (of the Jund variety since they go in reanimator, natural order, et all), and the new tribrids because they aren't really three colors and some of them are super sweet.

Yeah, that's generally been my problem with tri-color cards as well. Too often they end up being shoe-horned into a certain kind of deck due to the color restrictions. There's not much wiggle room there. I've only made concessions for Ascendancy and Sidisi because they're just so sweet.

I really wish they'd come out with hybrid activated abilities like they did in FRF more often. They could even flip it (hybrid cast, single color activation) and it would still be fine. Those cards are just so much more flexible. If you ever do create the tri-color decks, they definitely shine. I like that Alesha is equally great in Mardu, RW and BR aggro decks. If she were Mardu colored, I would probably never slot her into my cube.

CML

Contributor
Yeah, that's generally been my problem with tri-color cards as well. Too often they end up being shoe-horned into a certain kind of deck due to the color restrictions. There's not much wiggle room there. I've only made concessions for Ascendancy and Sidisi because they're just so sweet.

I really wish they'd come out with hybrid activated abilities like they did in FRF more often. They could even flip it (hybrid cast, single color activation) and it would still be fine. Those cards are just so much more flexible. If you ever do create the tri-color decks, they definitely shine. I like that Alesha is equally great in Mardu, RW and BR aggro decks. If she were Mardu colored, I would probably never slot her into my cube.

yeah, this is about right. obviously i am a sidisi fan but i don't think its quite worth it. ascendancy may not be either but it's still in

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have certain players in my playgroup that will snap up any and all Cruel Ultimatums and Nicol Bolas, Planeswalkers that come their way. People like their powerful, splashy three-color cards over here. I do think you need to be very careful with your environment, so that they are well supported. Nothing sucks more than not being able to cast your goodies.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I don't have a problem with 3-colour cards only going in one deck. It doesn't mean they're just gunna autodraft after taking it. If there's a three colour card that people love (cruel ultimatum for example - I love that card), why not let people draft with it?

Nicol Bolas in particular is pretty easy to cast. It isn't too difficult to get your color requirements in order by the time you have eight mana. I think of it more as a {B}{U/R} card than a true 3-color card.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I guess it depends on your power level - Jason gets excited about bomby 6 and 7 drops that I wouldn't touch, but that's cuz the decks in his cube can deal with them.

Karn's pretty bad when you're a fair way behind, whereas Wurmcoil is still great even in that case. I play both and whilst they are high picks, I haven't noticed games warping around them too much.

Aoret

Developer
I find the difference between karn and wurmcoil is I've lost with karn in play
qft

But yeah, I think this is a power level thing. Also, WRT Zur being good enough if it was ETB and attacked.... I'm kinda surprised more of you guys haven't made the jump to just making tweaks like this. When I decided I liked magic again ( and first stop was to rip off the latest version of Jason's cube), I didn't want to run SoWaP because protection effects suck, but I needed a good equipment that also supported lifegain strictly in aggressive decks... so I sharpied out the protection, replaced the 'rd' on the cardname with a 't', and kept it moving. None of my drafters have so much as batted an eye at my sharpie errata.

qft

But yeah, I think this is a power level thing. Also, WRT Zur being good enough if it was ETB and attacked.... I'm kinda surprised more of you guys haven't made the jump to just making tweaks like this. When I decided I liked magic again ( and first stop was to rip off the latest version of Jason's cube), I didn't want to run SoWaP because protection effects suck, but I needed a good equipment that also supported lifegain strictly in aggressive decks... so I sharpied out the protection, replaced the 'rd' on the cardname with a 't', and kept it moving. None of my drafters have so much as batted an eye at my sharpie errata.

I think I'm going to try this for my swords, since they're very popular cards but the protection makes them super swingy. Have you noticed if it makes a big difference in play?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
qft

Swot of War and Peace? o_O
FSR does something similar (I just make new cards, but I have new cards in already) and he doesn't even bother changing the card name, so I doubt you'd need to.

Also, concerning sharpie erratta on expensive cards: Please sharpie a perfect fit and not the card itself! You never know what you'll end up taking out of your cube, and given how popular swords are might as well conserve the value

Aoret

Developer
Swot of War and Peace? o_O
FSR does something similar (I just make new cards, but I have new cards in already) and he doesn't even bother changing the card name, so I doubt you'd need to.

Also, concerning sharpie erratta on expensive cards: Please sharpie a perfect fit and not the card itself! You never know what you'll end up taking out of your cube, and given how popular swords are might as well conserve the value
Oooops... that'll teach me to post in the morning. I meant the 'w' was taken out and the 'd' became a 't'. "Sort of War and Peace". And all my shit is proxied, even when I have real versions of the cards, so no fear of devaluing anything :)

@Aston I haven't seen the fixed SoWaP in enough games to give you a conclusive answer. I can tell you that I was on the receiving end of it last Friday and it still felt absolutely good enough in both games where my opponent drew it.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I just find Karn to be a slow and tedious way to win a game. God forbid that you use his ultimate.

One of my favourite ever wins was by my Battle of Wits deck against some poor opponent playing mill (yay, auto win?) although I was struggling at one point when Consuming Aberration came down. I managed to remove it and resolve a Karn. At that point I was exiling cards from his hand as there was not enough pressure to knock Karn down. I decide to be hilarious and exile a card in my own hand to make him question what is going on. I then ultimate next turn, and drop the card I exiled... Battle of Wits. We shuffle up and I win the game before I even draw.

That was how I managed to win on turn 1 in standard.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Worth it, imho, because they are cool and powerful enough:

Sphinx of the Steel Wind is stupid, don't bother with that. It's certainly powerful enough, but who exactly is feeling good when they win a game on the back of that keyword mashup? Also, it has double protection, which immediately should disqualify it from any cube that aims for fun gameplay rather than fun derived from doing broken shit.

Warden of the First Tree is super cool, but really not a three-color card. It's a flexible green-based two-color card.

I'm running Sidisi, Maelstrom Wanderer, Jeskai Ascendancy and I moved Wild Nacatl to the gold section as well.