Card/Deck Why Are All Six Drops In Magic Terrible

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yes, yes, we know the Titans are all amazing and game dominating. After that, though, it seems that the power level of sixes across Magic drops off a cliff. I noticed a huge hole at six cmc in my own cube, and I could use some ideas. What are some unconventional but effective six drops that you guys run? I'm open to pretty much anything at this point - creatures, spells, planeswalkers; finishers, value cards, do nothings. Wait, maybe not the last one.

some random 6 drops from my cube: mikaeus, the unhallowed, charmbreaker devils, soul of the harvest, broodmate dragon, sire of insanity, steel hellkite, duplicant
im not sure if these are useful in a typical cube. well charmbreaker probably definitely isnt. broodmate dragon needs to be in a format where 3 color cards arent just inherently awful. sire of insanity is pretty blegh against an aggro-heavy format. steel hellkite and duplicant are good imo. they give colorless answers to certain color's problems at a high mana cost

CML

Contributor
AEtherling -- less powerful but more than that, a different kind of card
Aurelia -- nuff said
Rampy Baloths -- hooray for fatties
Massacre Wurm -- just fucking hilarious

i have tried sire, duplicant, hellkite and been "meh." mikaeus is definitely worth a try. charmbreaker has been floated before and is a very sweet card but not very powerful (flayer of the hatebound too for the "5R devils" subcategory). soul of the harvest is not great and broodmate doesn't justify its 3c cost but it does remind me that Dragon Broodmother is super-fun.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
oh man i would love to try out deadeye nav but some of the locals have some serious fatigue/hatred regarding the card due to edh

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I had Sovereigns come with Eldrazi Conscription for a while.

Also: Consecrated Sphinx, Yosei, Pristine Angel, Elspeth Sun's Champion, Admonition Angel, Crovax Ascendant Hero, Carnifex Demon, Exalted Angel, Oona, Predator Dragon (a personal fave), Geth

Reactions: CML
Ruric thar is great. Changes game plans, slaps control's face off, etc. I love playing that guy in standard, too. Sovereigns is a little wonky but I've peppered auras from boar umbra to griffin guide throughout my list and they've been well-received.

I actually cut progenitor mimic because it is simply too powerful and some games feel bad: you just copy your opponent's threat and let them figure out how to beat themselves in a turn or lose.

In my expereience admonition angel is too slow and too vulnerable; it doesn't actually do anything without a seventh land so it might as well be angel of serenity which is just fine, and no longer 30 USD because it has fallen far out of favor in standard.
Consecrated Sphinx, Pristine Angel, Crovax Ascendant Hero, Geth
I have either played with or watched another cube with these cards and don't like them. Mostly because they are too non-interactive.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I can attest that Necropolis Regent is legit.

I also still think Sphinx of Jwar Isle is a perfect card.

I am consistently befuddled that after Rampaging Baloths, the best 6 mana green card is that durdley enchantment that just came out a couple months ago.

The Black and White Kamigawa dragons are pretty good and the Blue one is also ok.

Maybe I should run Sovereigns of Lost Alara in my new list, but then again I don't think the decks that want angelic destiny and unstable mutation want a six mana dude.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I actually cut progenitor mimic because it is simply too powerful and some games feel bad: you just copy your opponent's threat and let them figure out how to beat themselves in a turn or lose.

Yep, I'm on the verge of banning Mimic, too. In a low power cube like mine, he's essentially a must-answer threat that takes over the game in 1-2 turns if he's not dealt with. Kind of like a whole bunch of other Titans that I recently cut for the same reason.

Speaking of durdly enchantments, anyone here try Deadbridge Chant?

CML

Contributor
Dom is on top of this thread.

Spitting Image if you're looking for Progenitor Mimic a little nerfed and a lot more fun.
Deadbridge nah
Obelisk god yes
KAM dragons with a sac theme is a great idea
Ad Angel is actually fun
Ruric Thar was unplayable in my Cube (Dragon Broodmother for a Gruul 6 my crackas)

CML

Contributor
i just threw this in the cube and it may not be playable but i dont give a "flying" fuck because its just so cool

202.jpg

Two great six drops that I don't see in many cubes lists are Draining Whelk and Primeval Bounty. They are both pretty fun and powerful without being Titan-levels of ridiculousness. The last spell that I Draining Whelked in a cube match was Craterhoof Behemoth ^_^. And the last time I had Primeval Bounty I played Elvish Visionary into Staggershock.

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa and Cloudthresher are 'the sheriff and the deputy' of my cube. I'm not sure who first labeled them as such or why but from then on whenever someone flashed in the thresher and decimated their opponent's board of fliers they always make firing-revolvers-into-the-air motions, usually accompanied by some kind of western cliche.

Obelisk of alara pulls games out of reach so fast and durdles so hard that I cut it for something simpler but still powerful: staff of nin. Gets played on the regular and the ping is completely relevant in my cube (cunning sparkmage is drafted and hated highly)