Sets (WOE) Wilds of Eldraine Spoilers

Makes me think about how Unhinged was supposed to have an entire "vegetable" subtheme that got pared down to like, two jokes in art.

1: Snowiness is apparently the only weather condition that affects the very nature of mana itself.
2: It's treated differently from other descriptive mechanics like the Legendary type, and only shows up in some snowy places.
3: Complaining about Snow makes me feel like a grumpy spoilsport because obviously a lot of people like it.
4: Almost as parasitic as Energy but somehow more annoying to me.
5: You're telling me Thing in the Ice isn't a Snow permanent?
6: I absolutely hate looking at decklists with 20 Snow-Covered Mountains because there's one copy of that one burn spell.

To be honest, it's almost exclusively flavor problems. I just don't understand why we have "Snow" cards but not like... "Wet" cards. But at the same time, I don't want them to explore this space any further. I don't think it's good space.

In terms of mechanical texture, Snow is kind of the opposite of Batch words, which I absolutely love.

1: Snowiness is apparently the only weather condition that affects the very nature of mana itself.
2: It's treated differently from other descriptive mechanics like the Legendary type, and only shows up in some snowy places.
3: Complaining about Snow makes me feel like a grumpy spoilsport because obviously a lot of people like it.
4: Almost as parasitic as Energy but somehow more annoying to me.
5: You're telling me Thing in the Ice isn't a Snow permanent?
6: I absolutely hate looking at decklists with 20 Snow-Covered Mountains because there's one copy of that one burn spell.

To be honest, it's almost exclusively flavor problems. I just don't understand why we have "Snow" cards but not like... "Wet" cards. But at the same time, I don't want them to explore this space any further. I don't think it's good space.

In terms of mechanical texture, Snow is kind of the opposite of Batch words, which I absolutely love.
We have Desert lands as if some large percentage of red sources aren't deserts and we have the Snow supertype as if some decent percentage of blue cards aren't ice and as if a ton of WU lands aren't icy. It really doesn't make sense and I might join team "ignore that nonsense" rather than team "Eldrazi Winter is a fun cube title."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
We have Desert lands as if some large percentage of red sources aren't deserts and we have the Snow supertype as if some decent percentage of blue cards aren't ice and as if a ton of WU lands aren't icy. It really doesn't make sense and I might join team "ignore that nonsense" rather than team "Eldrazi Winter is a fun cube title."
So who is going to make the Antarctic Cube, featuring either a bunch of snow and desert cards that haven’t been branded as such, or a bunch of custom alters that add the snow and/or desert super/sup-types to cards that should, by all means, have them?

So who is going to make the Antarctic Cube, featuring either a bunch of snow and desert cards that haven’t been branded as such, or a bunch of custom alters that add the snow and/or desert super/sup-types to cards that should, by all means, have them?

I have long been trying to figure out a good semi-custom snow cube, but I probably want another set or to go into the realm of full customs before I try.

6.5: Snow Basics at all. Counting "snow permanents" or doing things to "snow permanents" or caring about "snow mana" is so much less interesting because of Snow Basics. Have like, a Wastes but Snow as a basic land maybe, so producing Snow mana from the land you can run more than 4 copies of comes at a cost, but Snow Plains/Island/Swamp/Mountain/Forest are boring.
Fine with snow non-basics tho.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In german we say: „Immer der, der fragt.“ ;)
I did two quick Scryfall searches on "atag:snow -t:snow" and "atag:ice -t:snow", and wasn't too inspired to do it myself :p I'm guessing you're going to have to go all in on customs to get something going, tbh.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well if you do, make/use some snow nonbasics.
Loooooooove a mechanic that gets worse as your deck gets better :rolleyes:

(For a game designed by mathematicians, it took MANY years for the designers to acknowledge that 17 basics limited decks were unacceptable)

On an unrelated note, I really like

It doesn't quite get there at my higher power level, but I think it would be very sweet for a lot of mid-powered lists on the forums. Outside of Painful Truth, I think it might be one of the best versions of this effect.
Being an instant, I think the floor is quite high. Draw 2, lose 2 isn't exciting, but when you can squeeze it in while holding a counterspell or removal spell, it's really good. Then if you support a GY theme, this can be bonkers. You can mill all 4 cards or do a weird surveil 2.
It also helps Black care about artifacts and can tie into sacrifice decks.

I really believe this is an amazing glue card, if your format isn't too fast.

I did two quick Scryfall searches on "atag:snow -t:snow" and "atag:ice -t:snow", and wasn't too inspired to do it myself :p I'm guessing you're going to have to go all in on customs to get something going, tbh.
I already did the same thing before my last comment lol.

Of all the things to go full custom on, snow simply isn't that deep. I do suggest anyone running snow themes proxies their snow cards to update the frames to the KLD ones that are a bit frosty.