Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

Inspired reminds me of the "damage to player" mechanic that seems like a trap most of the time, except that it is usually worse and has slightly more potential for tricks.

It's not like I don't like it, it just requires thorough support or to be extremely efficiently costed. All in all, I like the mechanic, because it puts more focus on other ways to use your creatures than simply having an attacking machine in play, but for the most part it feels floppy.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
battlefieldthaumaturge.jpg

tethmoshighpriest.jpg

Strong heroic trigger.

I like the spider a lot. I prefer the new-wording on o-ring (and friends) because it makes playing instant-speed removal actually matter. Lets you keep auras, +1/+1 counters, and loyalty counters.

Thaumaturge has a few cards that are cute with it:

And the white strive rare that makes everything mini hero of bladehold.

If I'm reading cards correctly something like Rolling thunder can fireball their face and also target every creature on the field for extra damage?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Sort of. You need to assign at least 1 damage to each target. So you can plink as many creatures on the board as you want for free while burning face. If you switch to Comet Storm, you can burn there face while also nuking anything else you want for the same amount for no additional cost.

Not sure what to think of the new heroic dude. Very cool trigger. Very crappy body.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Check your rulebook bro. In order for a damage effect to target something, at least 1 damage must be assigned. Otherwise you could spend {R}{R} and kill 231874897348467 tarpit warriors at once.

Laz

Developer
ooh here's one I like!
Nyx-Weaver-Journey-into-Nyx-Spoiler-216x302.jpg

I've been thinking about getting self-mill going for ages.

I like that one too!

discipleofdeceit.jpg

Do you think this could work as as ETB? Would it be any good? The effect is cool, but Inspired is a bit of a joke in Cube.
Maybe the reverse effect would be cool? ETB, Reveal a card from your hand: search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost and put it into your graveyard.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Well, the constellation cards are somewhat lackluster, so I'm guessing if they were more pushed they would have ruined limited or something. The fact that if you have a bunch of them you could get lots of triggers at once could be an issue in constructed, but there are a lot of sweepers around right now, so I'm not sure. A couple of them might still be useful, perhaps with a little custom text help.

On the other hand this was a nice surprise for me!

40ByH6pbCC_EN.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Iroas actually looks super amazing. Combat just becomes miserable for your opponent and Dat Body is not to be trifled with.
Keranos looks good. Honestly UR seems so quirky he probably deserves a spot.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Mogis has the same body and has been kind of weak, but his ability doesn't actually help trigger devotion. Iroas keeps dude on the table AND white removal actually adds to devotion. I think we're on to something here. . .