Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Red just has all the best strive cards, huh?

635332020543842795.jpeg

I like the upside on this, compared to something like Mark of Mutiny, which I'm already running. If the game's gone long and I can steal their two best guys, that feels it'd be a massive tempo swing.

I thought strive was dumb and unoriginal when it was first spoiled last week. "It's just multikicker!" But seeing that most of us here like having more options and modal cards in our cubes, strive might now be my favourite mechanic of this set.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
As a fan of all things green ramp, I'm even happier that they returned to monstrosity. And that there's at least one X-cost activation, and it's in green, to boot. Hallelujah! ...wait, wrong Gods.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
To be fair, they're both kinda balls, no? Is there a single playable card from either camp?

Man, now that I put it that way.. no wonder the last set sucked.

There may not be enough incentive to untap things, but tapping has synergy with exalted. Tradewind Rider is cubable, to start with.
i am however excited that a UB card does something other than mill but disappointed that it still does something else from ravnica

Did anyone give Shipwreck Singer a hard look? She seems to win almost every Theros draft game she appears in. She's probably too slow for a few of the cubes here, but she's great when you have decent creatures you can afford to leave back, like Vampire Nighthawk. Her abilities win board stalls, but I can't tell if that translates well to cube drafting.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hmmm.. it's a 6/6 for six on an empty board, or a 12/12 for six on a crowded board. I think the second scenario is alright, but the first scenario would make me sad. So I suppose it depends on how often your cube has gummed up board stalls, versus empty board topdeck wars.

I quite like some of the tribute creatures with the +1/+1 theme cards like ion storm and root kin cytoplast, as it adds an extra dimension to them. I don't think they're for every cube but I quite like the decision aspect of them.

Re the wilds ravager, sure if they have no creatures it's 'just' a 6/6, but if they have just one monster that is less than 6 power and toughness then it's potentially quite good. We'll see, there's no harm in giving it a try. I'm trying to tweak the focus of green and including more fight cards.

Inspired just turns me off completely. I find it hugely irritating that they would put in inspired but leave out (non-god) devotion. Glad that monsterous is back though.

discipleofdeceit.jpg

its the blue fauna shaman

this is very interesting. i haven't decided yet if its good or bad. i am however excited that a UB card does something other than mill but disappointed that it still does something else from ravnica

I can't figure out this card either. The tutor ability could be amazing, especially in a tempo type deck I'm thinking (something with lots of the same CMC cards and running silver bullet/toolbox type cards). But that body wants to be in some kind of control deck, and there the tutor is going to be less consistent and might just be useless. And then on top of that it's multi-color and what the hell would you cut for it?

wowee we can finally run CUBE STAPLER oblivion ring #2

nyx weaver is cool but probably not good

cool they reprinted mesmeric friend

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Renowned Weaver is awesome, but the powerlevel is too low. Seems fixable.

I hope tonight's preview a bunch of constellation cards. We've only seen, what, 4?