General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i hate to be a negative nancy but we tried it over here and it was... bad. it only hit level 2 once ever, but despite that i don't think it killed any creatures. needing {B} to activate after spending all that mana leveling it is the deal breaker

I'm starting to get spoiled. Cube drafts are firing pretty much weekly or even twice a week now. This time the undisputed victor was a sweet UB control deck:

MVPs were Misdirection and Temporal Trespass (though I'm not sure it wouldn't be better as straight up Time Warp). We were super midrangey today with only one real aggro deck, which this one dodged. I'm not sure how it'd ever beat a Goblin Guide.

My friend and I quilt drafted one-on-one, came up with some really really sweet decks:

Junk Value

UB Control

Since it was a quilt draft, we just made the best decks we could without really try to screw eachother much (I did block a Doomwake Giant). Both decks were fantastic, good fixing and executed each of their gameplans effectively.

G1 went to Junk with Tasigur shining as an amazing 2-drop and card advantage engine. UB would have been overwhelmed early, but a T3 Lily and T4 Jace helped keep the board under control for a bit before they both ended up using all their loyalty and dying. I think I bounced/killed Tasigur like twice before he eventually stuck on the board. Interesting sequences included thinking whether it was better to delve into Tasigur or leaving certain creatures there to bring back to hand. Too much off the Phyrexian Reclamation. UB managed to bring down Junk to -5 life off of Persecutor, but I drew dead into land late in the game with like 2 straight turns drawing lands and I ended up one turn away from being able to Snapcaster back Innocent Blood for the win. Instead, a Boon Satyr bestowed Tasigur is too much to handle coming in with Mom protection.

G2 was a lot of jostling in the early game for position, Junk had a nut start with T1 Swamp, Reclamation into T2 Forest, Exploration, Plains, Wall of Omens but then went dry on lands. Perilous Myr eventually came in which led to a sequence with Pridemate + Ooze on one side, Myr and Blood Artist on the other. Junk didn't think it was worth it to trade the Ooze or Pridemate with the Myr, passed, then got wrecked by a Toxic Deluge. I finished him off with a Tezz coming in, animating Coldsteel Heart and then following that up with draws of Baleful Strix into Serendib Efreet and then Prophetic Prism. Wrecked his board after he was forced to chump two 5/5s to stay alive with Far // Away to clear his board. I love that card so much.

G3 he had gone T1 Warden of the First Tree, T2 level it and swing, but then I drew into Devour Flesh the next turn. Then it was another grind with Spear of Heliod having it's second ability be surprisingly relevant as Junk drew dead into lands while facing down a board of Lily, Efreet and Blood Artist with a single Deathrite Shaman. Spear forced me to ping myself with Efreet like two turns because it wasn't worth losing it to a random spear. Drawing into Jace and filtering away chaff with Brainstorms every turn made it pretty easy from that point onwards. Just dumb beats and Lily saccing any creature with Blood Artist on the field let me drain him down and then punch him with the Persecutor. I then Lily'd myself to kill Percy and win. Still, there was a turn where he had a nutty Eidolon into Eidolon play but he drew dorks. If I didn't have Lily or draw my key spells when I did, he might have been able to overrun me.

Double Eidolon is sweet, I really want to see Constellation come together in an actual 8 man draft. Tasigur is great if you can get him in for 3 or less. I only recurred one thing, but it was still good as just a 4/5 big butt beater. I like Warden quite a bit, applies a decent amount of pressure early on and is a 1-drop that's actually relevant late. Sure, it's a crappier impression of Figure of Destiny most of the time, but it also has the ability to close out a game on its own in the late game by becoming stupid huge and lifeswingy. UB Tezz was something that I just recently added and thought it was pretty sweet, and I love Perilous Myr more and more every time I play it. It's just good everywhere. Run two guys, it's awesome!

CML

Contributor
in honor of wadds i present you guys with the greatest gift of all, the gift of GW little kid, the undisputed champion of sophistication and ripping dudes off the top

10966629_10203362084604492_1131344721_n.jpg

notes:
curse of predation was great, everyone who says otherwise is high
dictate of heliod was surprisingly fun
drafting enough 2's is hard
never once did i get to pod rector, which was terrible but like OK whatever

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
wow that deck is just about the midrangiest thing in the world, can't take a step without being midranged on the side of the head

yeah Curse of Predation has quietly become most impactful cube card out of the whole C13 set

fuck I love decks with spirit keeper and finks.
You must have made people cry curving thalia into one of those two!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I hadn't actually found spirit keeper to be that good, and was contemplating going back to double blade splicer (the boring, if powerful choice)

How has your experience been lucas?

I only drafted it once, but I'll give ya my experience.

It's less base line powerful than splicer, but it has a more zany top end.
It plays much better against and with wraths.
It's a white creature you can feel more comfortable tabling if you are heavily in white.
In attrition battles it often felt like having a mono white lingering souls for it's ability to attack and block at the same time and it's 2nd life of continued pressure.

Certainly a card to think about. You know I love playing Wrath-Advantage decks. I feel like wraths are one of whites biggest synergy enablers to play well with other colours and its nice when they have access to their own recursive guys.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Huh, interesting.
I never really thought of playing it with wraths because you wouldn't have many creatures alongside him, maybe wall of omens? I'd feel weird just jamming wrath in some GW rampy deck, and worse in the typical little kid variant. Accurate or not, the sentance "Mono White Lingering Souls" gives me pause in a good way :D

I find it's really hard to play wrath decks that play minimal creatures these days. Cubes abound with creatures that are essentially the spells you need as a control deck, and cards like blade splicer are often better than a lot of comparable removal spells, except, like red's removal, they can attack for Christ sakes.

The Wrath synergy decks I like most are usually GW or BW base. I find most white mid-ranged or value creature decks don't mind a single wrath either though.

Decks that try to play thragtusk and kitchen finks and epochrasite and wraths are some of my most favouritest because they are kinda outta the box and a great way to make two really flat colours work together to do something flashy and vaguely fun. Build your own cataclysm decks kinda. But yeah most of my control decks these days play like 10-12 planeswalkers/creatures anyway so it's not that big of a deal. Clique, venser, snapcaster and mulldrifter are all spells I want in my deck that just happen to attack, block and die. I also find more cubes move toward a graveyard centric model for card advantage in control and grindy decks so spirit keeper vaguely gets along with my compulsive researches and satyr wayfinders.

Held an 8-man tonight, really sweet Gravecrawler deck won it all. I bumped up the Cube to 405 tonight, but somehow all three Gravecrawlers ended up in here. I can't believe the dude snagged all three. I remember passing one right to him early. It was gross. Mardu Strike Leader is sweet, Dash is great, and Brutal Hordechief did a pretty decent Hellrider imitation.

BW Aggro

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Held an 8-man tonight, really sweet Gravecrawler deck won it all. I bumped up the Cube to 405 tonight, but somehow all three Gravecrawlers ended up in here. I can't believe the dude snagged all three. I remember passing one right to him early. It was gross. Mardu Strike Leader is sweet, Dash is great, and Brutal Hordechief did a pretty decent Hellrider imitation.

BW Aggro

Why Soul Warden?

BR Combo Aggro

Custom cards I played:

magic2.pngmagic1.png magic 3.png

I had a great time drunkenly bumbling through this deck's mess of interactions. A true testament to the adage "you can get there by attacking for two". Playing this deck was exhilarating and borderline terrifying. Among the aggressive and midranged decks you definitely had the worst creatures and your only real upside was pretty gradual card advantage and always being able to take advantage of a lack of blockers. What was really rewarding was if you did make it to turn 6-7 you usually realized you had some sort of funny combo that you could start nickle and diming your opponent with. The best among these was stronghold assassin and either of 3 recursive 1 drops.

Highlights:
  • I think my play of the night was assembling the combo of stronghold assassin, Tuktuk the Explorer and the Reaping Scythe pictured above. That's a lot of 5/5s. I think I got to do that twice lol.
  • Watching Chris's aggro combo deck work. Seriously he should post it because it was hilarious. He did like a million damage consistently and seemingly out of nowhere. RG Pumps spells and man lands. I saw peter lose on board to a single tricked out mutavault lol. Every game I played against him I felt behind until I had like 4-5 cards on him.
  • In one game Chris had a 4/4 bird of paradise on turn 2!
  • Peter literally had no basic lands in his deck. We had to convince him not to play all 45 cards for novelty lol.
  • Getting to play with kustom kards was super sweet.
MVPs:
  • Bonesplitter was probably secretly one of the best cards in my deck. Sometimes 2/1s just aren't good enough when your arena is beating you down and your opponent has a flyer or something. Splitter > 2drop > wasteland is crazy unfair.
  • The wastelands were good but my fixing was really not. My draft was sorta a story of a couple aborted plans. I don't think this deck wanted 17 lands but I knew I needed both wastelands if I wanted to steal games from better decks.
  • Stronghold Assassin is a card I'm gonna watch out for from now on.