General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The token is legendary as well, isn't it?

They are, but the single 5/5 does good work

My deck from the aformentioned draft:

As well as these:
nGAoYYq.png
HRj9soc.png
uFRDTCZ.png

Sweet Stuff:
  • T1 Birds, T2 Bestial Mask Equip is a tapped 4/4 flying on turn 2
  • Bestial Mask on unleash guys makes a 5/5 because of counters
  • 12th pick Plateau to go with the wild nacatl
  • Reckless Charge scares the bajesus out of people when it's sitting in your yard
  • Peter playing 44 cards, 0 basics, and not noticing cultivate was a dead card during deckbuilding
Not so sweet stuff:
  • 5.5/7 people at the table drafting red (Peter was in 5 color), so I got a single burn spell and lost a few games by being off by 2-3 damage
  • Getting Hymn'd for 2 mountains, stomping ground wastelanded and noble hierarch getting killed against Lucas G2 (The salt is real)
  • I do not remember my curve being that atrocious. God I coulda played 13 lands or some shit
Notes for the future:
  • Nat suggusted Gelectrode for my list based on the player love for prowess and the success of goblin sharpshooter, I think he might be on to something
  • Nightly Hunt might be too good, Giant Strength for G + prowess interactions is real strong. Might need to target creatures without counters on them already, might not.
  • I like what hymn does, but I kinda don't like the random aspect. Not enough to cut it, but I think Wrench Mind might be worth adding. I'm always down for more black cards that aren't killspells.
I should really put this version of stronghold assassin back in: (Currently 7th foil. Damn guy looks so goofy though! Maybe write zombie on a double sleeve...)
93.jpg

Showing that it's a 2 card combo with gravecrawler, not a 3 card combo would probably go a long way during drafting.
Dat face though. I can just hear him going "Gwarsh, I sure am killing this guy! Gee-huck!"

Like, how did I fucking beat your deck? Your deck is all creatures and they are all bigger than mine! So glad you never landed an ooze.
I guess it's a testament to how relevant being up on cards is. But none of my extra cards can block sooooooooo?

I seriously usually hate pants decks but that one seemed way too much fun.
Rampager + Slaughtermaster seems like the sort of thing that makes magic unfun though lol. I really wana do that to someone.

Omg I had no idea the assassin was so goofy. I guess I just love 2/1s for 3....

Pretty darn well!
I think I played a deck once in eric's cube where my only zombies were the skinrender and 3 crawlers and it ran like a charm. I definitely had mutavault too though. I think the value of a 2/1 for 1 is higher in eric's format though, and mutavault is just awesome with zombie synergy.

I might have had trouble if it weren't for my other forms of recursion from the scythe, lost shepherd and profane command that would act as virtual zombie horses 90 percent of the time. Poor thing never got scavenged. I would never have taken a game if chris was able to stick an ooze for any amount of the time.

Fun Fact: You can extend the life of a tanglewire by proliferating.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I drew Ooze and Goyph the one game, and you hit them both with Hymn :p
I think we know what the real MVP of that match was...

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Of course after adding the goblins to my cube some one was going to draft it. I didn't know they would steamroll everyone.

It was decided by the end of the first round that giving all the goblin cards "tribal-goblin" was completely unnecessary: Goblin Matron was already the (second) best card in the deck without being able to search for goblin grenade. It was also decided that wasteland isn't really desirable in this cube anymore as high cost cards are already hard and the deck won through a resolved hornet queen multiple times anyway. Cards like Shrine of burning rage, outpost siege, and barbarian ring just helped to accumulate so much inevitability that the deck didn't care it only had 3 1 drops, it just didn't matter.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
One of the worst cards in the deck, but good enough. The deck had three ways to leverage it (warren instigator, spikeshot elder, goblin sharpshooter) and four damage for three mana is still on par for indirect damage (Vines, Rampager, etc.)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

Decks similar to this have been played in my cube a few times and usually get kicked around because they can't interact well with their opponents and get the key pieces disrupted. For whatever reason, this one worked. The lack of interaction almost was lethal when it looked like it would deck itself when faced with a recurring Spike Weaver, but that card with 5 completely incoherent abilities came through once again and saved the day!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Not by putting cards from an enemy's graveyard on the bottom of their library I hope? Because it can only target cards in your graveyard, for whatever reason...
By putting cards back on the bottom of its library, it decked the other player. In another game it used to bow to put Tuskguard Captain back in the deck to search for with fauna shaman after it had discarded it earlier finding pridemage to kill some important artifact. In yet another game it owned hornet queen. In another game it comboed with hardened scales, mikeaus and gavony to provide infinite turns with sage of hours. That card is so fucking weird, its completely different each game you play.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
In an unrelated note, someone drafted cloudpost/glimmerpost for the first time since I threw it in the binder and it was pretty cool. Using manabreach and meloku to bounce glimmers for tons of life really fucked some decks.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
By putting cards back on the bottom of its library, it decked the other player. In another game it used to bow to put Tuskguard Captain back in the deck to search for with fauna shaman after it had discarded it earlier finding pridemage to kill some important artifact. In yet another game it owned hornet queen. In another game it comboed with hardened scales, mikeaus and gavony to provide infinite turns with sage of hours. That card is so fucking weird, its completely different each game you play.

That sounds fricking awesome :)

I love Bow of Nylea, what a versatile card. It's kinda funny how the rest of the god weapons are straightforward, usually do one or two things, then you have the bow that does just about everything. I used it in a Tiny Leaders FNM last Friday (got 4th with Glissa!) and it was amazing. Like, I kept a dude from being able to equip Sword of Feast and Famine to his spirit tokens created by Moorland Haunt by just shooting them down one by one. When he didn't have tokens? I just gained 3 life. I forgot that it granted attacking creatures deathtouch most of the time. It's just so weird but so cool.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The only thing I regret about putting Bow of Nylea into my cube is needing to pick it up off the table every other turn from my opponent's side, because I can't remember what any of its five abilities are. Seems like it hits the mark for power, at least.

I kinda find bow games pretty stagnant. I mean it's super slow and the advantage it generates is perceptible but it sorta reminds me of trying to win the game with skeletal vampire activations except bow isn't an evasive attacker. Bow is a great way to draw out a game and maybe win it, but by no means decisively or painlessly. Sure buys time well though!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I also kinda like that deathtouch makes games super squirmy and akward for your opponent, but in a way they can totally deal with