Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

CML

Contributor
OO5np.jpg

I go deep. So far these have been surprisingly good. Results may vary.

They probably won't all survive the next culling, but at least some will as long as the enchantment-matters theme is in green.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Huh. I run an enchantment subtheme in {B}{G}{W} and I totally forgot about these (and the Opal and Lurking variants). Which ones do you like best so far?

Huh. I run an enchantment subtheme in {B}{G}{W} and I totally forgot about these (and the Opal and Lurking variants). Which ones do you like best so far?

Stag is easily the worst. A 3/2 for 1{G} is good but not spectacular, and it can turn back into an enchantment?! I think I might not even have this one in my cube, but I posted this without looking to be sure (am at work).

I think the rest depend on what else is in your cube. If the meta revolves around just turning dudes sideways, Gibbons is probably mediocre. Guerrillas is best in a cube that loves mana rocks but isn't powered, etc.

I think my single favorite is probably Herd. It's "just" a 3/3, but it triggers on something virtually every deck in virtually cube is going to trigger and it's still quite efficient!

I don't like that they only work when the opponent does something. They could easily wind up being "do nothing" cards & very dead draws when you're behind way too easily.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't like that they only work when the opponent does something. They could easily wind up being "do nothing" cards & very dead draws when you're behind way too easily.

Well, obviously they aren't great topdecks. They are however cheap rattlesnake cards that reward you generously when your opponent does something he is bound to do anyway. I mean, take Hidden Herd. Of course your opponent could open with two basics, but is he really holding that third land so you won't get a 3/3? Probably not. If your opponent refuses to play a card that satisfies the trigger (which is more likely with narrow cards like Hidden Spider or Hidden Gibbons), you have spent one or two mana to strand a card in your opponent's hand that might have otherwise put considerable pressure on you. And you get all that in addition to providing extra fuel for your enchantment theme. Classic win-win! :)

Well, obviously they aren't great topdecks.

One of the reasons I like them is because they can be "fine" top decks in the right deck (Constellation or the older constellation-like things such as Enchantress). I like having some cards that only go into a single deck. I think this is too many of them, and I'll be cutting back, but they seem to be serving that role nicely. It's a card that will wheel if you're the only one in the deck and it doesn't actually seem to be embarrassing to run it in that deck.