General CBS

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Randomly generated /r/magicTCG comments

https://www.reddit.com/user/magicTCG_SS

What the fuck kind of shitpost do you think us more powerful there? Hi all, I need suggestions to make this worthwhile in Modern? that art is worthless.

Seems like a pretty standard post.

My favourite has to be:
Since it was reprinted in Conspiracy, she thought it was funny to dismiss a card before reading the text box.
Surely the bot is referencing this card.

this might be the least-balanced custom card idea i've had yet but would any of you be interested in a Distress that cost one black mana and one phyrexian black mana? i recognize i've basically suggested 'Thoughtseize, but slightly better".

Which of these is most interesting to you guys?
{B/P}{B} Distress
{B/P}{B/P} Distress
{B}{B} Distress but with 'you may reveal your hand' as an alternate cost (i am v. cautious about this but the brief period of time i ran Land Grant still left room for ways to play around known info^1)

1: at one point in a UWr control deck i used Grant to make sure my opponent didn't overextend into my threatened wrath, which let me slow-roll (ilu feeling of dread) and then win the game. unfortunately it was kinda low on ways to win and so like its presidential predecessor it also died quietly in the early hours of the morning

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
yeah, when i was getting back into magic in 2008, i always wondered why people were forking out $20 for Thoughtseizes when Distress was still legal in the format. turns out that extra black mana is killer, much moreso than two life. it'd be great to have the option, though, so a {B/P}{B} Distress would be a smash hit, though i wonder if strictly better Thoughtseize isn't something that might be annoying

(psst, phrexian mana is the other way! {b/p} rather than {p/b})

I'll test all three and see how they play, I guess! I was thinking about how many good black cards cost life, and the difference between Thoughtseize and basically all other discard spells. I like that sometimes the non-thoughtseize discard makes you take unplanned lines (oh shit i should really duress that show and tell instead of removal) but like the duress/despise tension. concerningly in Cube we have enough creatures that are essentially spells to begin with, so duress isn't always duress, and despise is straightforwardly fine but again doesn't protect threats as effectively. Unmask's card-disadvantage-for-tempo deal inspired the Land Grant idea which tbh i'm coming more around on but I don't really want zero-mana discard in my format, you know? I just find it too obvious when to use (before your opponent has mana either).

The other idea I had was a two-mana instant to distinguish the card from Thoughtseize a little further but since the precedent there is basically Mardu Charm and then Tsabo's Decree i thought i'd try costing the more familiar versions first.

i'm leaning {B/P}{B}, land grant restriction, {B}{B} instant, {B/P}{B/P} but will probably test them tonight or tomorrow and see what's what.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's done! I've uploaded the scans of my cards to cube tutor

Check it out here, or there's always a link in my sig. I've tagged all the custom cards, so you can filter by those if you specifically want to see the scans.

Drafting should make a lot more sense now :p
I've finally uploaded my cube as well, and everyone is happily invited to come draft it at this fancy custom URL: www.cubetutor.com/khansofalara/draft

Seriously though, this is an as of yet untested cube, so feedback is welcome! I intend to take this for a spin after my Origins preorder arrives!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
CJQJ8oMWsAAbLJC.jpg

I love the sideboard feature on Cubetutor. Mostly using it to keep track of my ULD, but it's also a good place to jot down cards that pique my interest or that we get into a discussion about here on the forums.

Is this from that awkz social experiment or are we doing some kinda weird performance art and I should put these in my art group?

In other news I'm totes pumped I don't have to cross reference the custom stuff on the dandy cube tutor anymore and am really stoked to play it on wed.

Just put all these half-formed ideas into mse before you subject a cubetutor account to the sort of meaningless associated ideas I've been trying to set aside since I was told I have close to half the working memory of a normal person

Aoret

Developer
A buddy of mine did make a program to scrap artwork off deviantart and display it in sequence, you could probably modify it to give you one at random
Ummmm I don't suppose I could get my hands on that program (or source!!)? Would be veeeeery useful in sourcing art for the card alter photoshopping I've been doing lately.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Now that I have Whirler Rogue and Thassa I want a heavy-hitter in blue to sneak through. What is there besides Wake Thrasher?

Aoret

Developer
No worries Chris, thanks for inquiring about it for me! I'll keep that lib in mind if I get frustrated enough with the search capabilities on DA. For now I'm slow/perfectionist enough at putting together renders that I'm not running too short on art (and just keeping enough good artists on my watch list seems to keep it flowing in). When I need to source it in bulk though it's probably worth throwing something together to make searching easier.

Back OT, I'll broken-record myself and say about Ninja of the Deep Hours "probably good if your power level is low enough" u_u;;;