General CBS

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I just played against a combo deck using untap effects with familiars to generate obsence amounts of mana off of bouncelands, generating a huge storm count, and casting a giant sprouting vines. It than casts either tolarian winds or flux to shift through the deck, looking for either a blighted agent or muddle the mixture (to transmute for blighted agent), before flashing back enough reckless charge's to kill me.

I am in awe at this man's genius.
Hahaha, if a card has storm, it will be broken :p

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
give people more reasons to run cards like looting or they never will.

One of the decks at the scg open was a pyromancer's goggles based control deck. Looked really cool. Because it was a control deck, he was running a higher land count, which meant he had the excess lands to power tormenting voice and magmatic insight. If you use pyromancer's goggles with those cards, you don't have to pay the additonal costs on the copies. So magmatic insight becomes pay 1 mana, discard 1 land, draw 4 cards.

In addition, it ran 4 dig through time, and the discard from those red draw spells powers dig.

Delve is just such a huge mechanic, and with these recent printings it might be time to really overhaul some of our control archetypes. Between delver of secrets and the black delve creatures, control decks now have access to a number of severely undercosted finishers, which works well with the plan of holding up mana for counterspells in a draw-go strategy.

Wait dig and faithless in an scg deck? Was this legacy?

I've been dwelling a little on this lame idea of late

Ruin Nomads 2(r/w)
Creature - human Nomad etc
Enters the battlefield you may return a land from your graveyard to your hand.
3/3

I'm pretty sure this has a lot of play regarding stats and application.

Let's teach red to remember the things it lost in it's passion and white to look to more than what is topical when it's planning is legacy.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
No, it was a standard deck running magmatic insight and tormenting voice. When I saw it though it made me think of your post and red graveyard interactions.

I feel like it's too narrow until we see a new odessey or more land / graveyard themes. I'm actually pretty cool on magnetic despite my branding, it feels like a deliberate insult on wizards part.

Now guys I'm gonna continue to subvert the purpose of this thread

4R
Dragon
Flying, haste
ETB you may discard a land card and draw a card
4/4

1W
Creature knight
ETB choose one -
Search your library for a plains and put it in your hand.
Search your library for a equipment with CMC 1 or less and put it in hand
2/1

I guess in some cases with cube cards I am too conservative and others I am not.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
What kind of red decks do you ultimately have in mind?

I agree its a bit narrow, but I like the direction. All of the red spell mastery card I think are cubeable, we have a number of red draw spells that fuel the graveyard, and we've had a sudden infusion of reasonable power artifact producers that help enable red's graveyard artifact theme. It all gets glued together by blue's delve spells, and the goggles actually look really nice as a tinker or reshape target, as they turn red's pyroclasm effects into legit sweepers, and its burn into efficent unconditional removal. Its expensive and powerful enough to be worth tinkering for. Its just a question of if copying all of your burn is too much of a feel bad, but it might be the build around that the U/R tinker deck has been looking for.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Also, another sweet deck from the open that reminded me of some of the aggro-combo decks we see sometimes in the penny cube.

The deck self-mills to stock the graveyard, than casts a giant rally the ancestors, getting back a vertical pump sacrifice creature (nantuko husk), enough creatures to grow it to 20 (or just make a horizontal aggro rush), and a mogis marauder to come over for leathal.

I like our versions a bit better, since we just use actual army in a can guys and temporary protection effects to threaten lethal, but a cool deck still, and neat way to achieve the same outcome. Also great synergy with the new flip walkers, since you can use them, fog with them, and then get them back.

Also, almost forgot, the sac. outlets get around the exile clause on rally, so you can get multiple hits with it in conjunction with flip jace or something like snapcaster, yawgmoths will, archaeomancer etc.

I like our versions a bit better, since we just use actual army in a can guys and temporary protection effects to threaten lethal, but a cool deck still, and neat way to achieve the same outcome. Also great synergy with the new flip walkers, since you can use them, fog with them, and then get them back.

Also, almost forgot, the sac. outlets get around the exile clause on rally, so you can get multiple hits with it in conjunction with flip jace or something like snapcaster, yawgmoths will, archaeomancer etc.

I'm very curious about what you mean regarding "our versions" I feel like whenever I read that I image my position but I'm only right about 1/3 of the time.

I feel a little embarrassed about the cards I've been putting forward lately that have been more cube in mind than regular magic but maybe this has been a breaking point. Recurring a land is the sort of thing I imagine will be an offhand ability on the right card withing 3 blocks. If it isn't it really should be given their conservatism isn't it? We play cube to love what theyve made without having to live with the business and the metagame and honestly I think those of us who have lived through enough of it should have enough credit to explore a little. Though, the last time trying to include randoms in chris' cube was riddled with the sort of remarks that remind me I'm glad I don't spend all my fridays with these darlings anymore.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I just mean the style of deck that the players in my group tend to draft in that particular environment. Basically, sacrifice a bunch of dudes, give a guy evasion, and come over for lethal. I'm being a bit spiky with that judgment: the star city games open version looks like a really well designed deck. Temp protection effects are just really flexible in those sorts of strategies, more so than something like mogis' maurader.

I know what you mean by the lands, it feels like a really underdeveloped part of the game. Cycling lands in particular have so many interesting interactions but just never seem quite good enough to make the main part of a cube to design around. Hopefully we get something better than landfall the next time they revisit those interactions, and some more land recursive lands and spells. I would like a higher power version of tilling treefolk for one, and see some of those interactions expanded out more into black and red.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
you guys are welcome

I lol'ed. I started peeing sitting down ever since a female roommate made me clean the toilet a few weeks in a row so I could witness firsthand the piss stains my splattering pee so artfully created every day. Ever since I pee sitting down, cleaning the bathroom got a whole lot less disgusting. Nowadays it's just dust and the occasional fallout of visiting males. I support you man :)

Laz

Developer
you guys are welcome

I now know you a little too well I think. I am not sure why I stopped listening to the radio, maybe it was services like Pandora or Spotify, but I suddenly feel I am missing a little something in my life if this is a perfectly normal talk back radio segment. It really evolved in parallel with the internet.

That was a fun read. I honestly don't think M10 ushered in or classifies as "conservatism" though. Planeswalkers changed the way the game played and I see M10 as a period where Wizard's really pushed creature power to adjust to having walkers as a permanent type. I view it as the most radical change to the game in it's 25 years. Which is a far cry from anything I would categorize as conservative.