General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think Conrol Magic is fine in standard, depending on the available answers. Something like Flickerwisp and good etb creatures would go a long way towards making it just good value. Mind Control (i.e. the card that shows that this effect should cost five mana nowadays) is an uncommon that is completely unplayable in constructed. I don't believe for a minute that shaving off one mana off Mind Control creates a card that is broken in Standard.

I would be thrilled Anotak, I just hate this "gone are the days of" mentality. It was -so- exciting to me to see those sweet ass delve spells and stuff like seeker and ascendancy omg.

I've been wondering when we'd see miscalculation or rune snag or repluse again. Baby Impluse, the new suligmar counterspell, ultimate price, scorch, commands and murderous cut are giving me hope.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I would be thrilled Anotak, I just hate this "gone are the days of" mentality. It was -so- exciting to me to see those sweet ass delve spells and stuff like seeker and ascendancy omg.

I've been wondering when we'd see miscalculation or rune snag or repluse again. Baby Impluse, the new suligmar counterspell, ultimate price, scorch, commands and murderous cut are giving me hope.

Honestly I don't think mana leak and co are too strong for standard the way counterspell is. They garnered a lot of attention when they brought back lightning bolt in M10, and mana leak is waaaaay less format warping than that. Not something that never rotates out of standard, but something that could back from time to time.

and hey, when they decide to, miscalc is my favorite :D Oh to have that in modern frame foil

Yeah repulse is only half as good as it used to be now with all the enters the battlefield creatures and damage not stacking.

Chris you want everything to be modern faceplate and all I want is whiteboarded old face.

CML

Contributor
I figured out why they printed Delve. Wizards has been gradually lowering the power level of Standard since the days of Worldwake or arguably Lorwyn. They still have to print some cards that are powerful without disrupting the balance of Standard, and if they scale well to older formats, then so much the better. Treasure Cruise seems like a great way to do this until you, uh, actually test it.

Delve may be breakable but I don't think it's inherently problematic w/r/t Constructed. Dig will be great fun in Legacy for years to come. You just have to not be a dolt and print Ancestral Recall. Though again without testing a 5/5 for B and maybe a 4/4 for G seem better than draw 3 for U.

I really love that it's all common too. Like what were they thinking omg. How much of this shit is banned in pauper lol

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
None of it is. lol...

I'm actually hoping that both cruise and cloud of faeries gets banned. The format has become so condensed that 3cc spells lean towards the unplayable now.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah repulse is only half as good as it used to be now with all the enters the battlefield creatures and damage not stacking.

Chris you want everything to be modern faceplate and all I want is whiteboarded old face.

*Vomiting Noises*

Also come on. How can you not like the art being foil on a card?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ugh, foils. They're only useful for ca$h and peeling of the top layer. The new printing technique made the last option impossible (at least my attempts so far failed), leaving me with a bunch of worthless, useless, new-bordered foils. Blegh.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't even know how to respond to that. It looks bad and it makes it harder to appreciate the art. How can you like foil art?

Huh, I think it looks amazing and accentuates the art

Ugh, foils. They're only useful for ca$h and peeling of the top layer. The new printing technique made the last option impossible (at least my attempts so far failed), leaving me with a bunch of worthless, useless, new-bordered foils. Blegh.

Acetone

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I tried that on the old foils, but prefer using a safety pin and just carefully peeling off the foil layer. Less fuss and less damage to the card. Maybe it works better on the new foils though.

It does. My wife kindly does this for me, but I don't think she's used old cards to date.
Plus hey, Old foils are a finite resource :p

I like promos and alt-arts a lot so I end up with a miscellaneous bunch of foils. I'm not interested in foiling out my cube but I enjoy being able to play with the card arts I like the most. I think the aesthetic of a promo Mulldrifter is way sweeter than the Modern Masters uncommon i might otherwise be using and I genuinely enjoy that foil watermarked cards have really visible symbols. My lands all match though, that was important. Some foils (vault process especially) are matte and kinda ugly but imo ever since ~Innistrad the foil game has been really on point. Theros had sweet foils, too.

Acetone works pretty well on the new foils, but I've never tried the safety pin trick for comparison. Mostly I just fuss over the aesthetic of my cube enough that certain alt-arts and promos came naturally.

(promo evolving wilds, acidic slime, and farseek are my faves atm)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Guay's Path to Exile was the only foil in my cube for a while, but I cut it a while ago and really can't think of any alternate arts I'd want to run.

I have a ton of foils in my Cube, look to pick them up whenever I can as long as its reasonable. It's pretty fun going through random binders and freaking out over dumb foils that no one else cares about. I love my foil Syncopate.

My first 8-man tonight. One player dropped, so the store owner took his seat. He even sanctioned it as casual play FNM! A riptide cube as a sanctioned event with foil promos and all!

Esper AetherTusk Control

Aether Searcher was a hit! The player who drafted it said he really liked it as a big control-dude because of the inherent card value. Of course, Thragtusk is a very very good card to fetch when you have a control deck. Dragonlord Simulgar was really good as well, anchors you to a UB control deck in a very real way. Let's see when it gets turned online as a picture on the cubedeck thing.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
But is the end product a blank white card or a shiny silver one? I want blank white cards :)

That actually might be a bit of a problem actually :p
I'm wondering what I'll end up doing. I'm getting a bit weird about the foils in my cube, since it's the most sysaphean (Sp?) task ever, and sometimes the cards are hard to pick out.
Also, it might be an interesting thematic design if all the custom cards were noticeably different in my cube (Like say they were all futureshifted frame, or the only foil ones, or something like that)
I kinda hate the futureshifted frame, but customs being the only foil cards could work

bolas control

Another one from the same guy that drafted the Esper deck, from this thursday-draft. Super neat to see Bolas in a 3-0, together with some devotion. The pilot is our grinder guy, who has played a ton of MODO cube.