General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That post was a lot more concise than your previous reply, thanks for taking the time to clarify.

I do want to add that you list card that are (arguably) bad topdecks on an empty board. I wouldn't call anthem effects a bad topdeck if I have creatures on the battlefield. I'm assuming Hardened Scales will be a bad topdeck more often, though that depends on the onboard counter tricks I admit. If you run a lot of persist, outlast, Curse of Predation effects, etc, it will be a better topdeck.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Haven't we learned that all forum arguments need to be about hyperbole, over-the-top scenarios, magical christmasland, and sweet corner cases that almost never come up but need a judge ruling when they do?!

All I can do is keep piling on theory craft which is pretty useless. So I'm going to refrain.

FWIW, I'm trying Hardened Scales and if it's too narrow I will happily report back in case anyone is on the fence about trying it. I feel like it's a card that has to be tested honestly. I see both sides of the argument here where you draw this and wish it was any other card or times where this is just the most righteous card in your deck. How often will it be good versus lame? Don't know.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It does depend highly on the number of creatures you have with incidental counters, so if it is under preforming, maybe swap a few jungle lions to experiment ones, firedrinker satyrs to Strom kirk nobles, etc

A lot of the cards like this that I run are custom fwiw, so it might be better to look at FDR's list

My latest build has a ton of +1/+1 support and it will be drafted in a way that is hyper focused. So I can't see it not working or picking it early and being like "WTF, where is the +1/+1 counter cards to make this thing useful??"

We'll see. A lot of this stuff is riding a fine line between cool accessible synergy and overly esoteric (where no one in my group is going to see or care about it enough to draft it). I have no idea where this is going to fall. Sometimes my group surprises me and does really deep stuff and other times I see great cards passed and ask why no one drafted it and the response is "too much to read on that card, so I just didn't even bother". LOL

Myles said I've gotten a lot better at Magic since I stopped playing lol
I really hope I'm remembering all this correctly.

Mission Accomplished!

Drafting My rounds were usually done like 15 minutes before anyone else's and usually like 30 min before the last person's match, but that was partly because there was always a control mirror in the first two rounds. This draft was another result of my taking lands and trying to stay open fairly early, and I just kept receiving red cards pretty late to flesh out my deck. I believe my first pick was a boros reckoner in a pack devoid of lands. I was shy in my 2nd pick taking a arc trail over a thornwood falls I think, but I got back on that horse pick 3 with the mystic monastery. Before long I had Augur of bolas, wind-scarred crag and seeker of the way so I started prioritizing token spells over other 2 and 3 drops. Maybe I shoulda taken that trumpet blast lol!

The most fun I had in-game all night was probably playing with all the peripherals. I made a new friend lend me a huge stack of tokens that really tickled me to drop in heaps onto my play area when someone hadn't tried hard enough to kill me while I had assemble the legion running. I also had made free with the bar's copy of Jenga, which I used as counters on my suspend spells, calciderm and assemble the legion. Of course this would get pretty ridiculous.

Round 1 was against a new friend named Cassius, incidentally the name of one of my old favourite house producers. Game one was mana screw vs colour screw. Cassius was playing rakdos with a bunch of grixis cards in his hand and I just couldn't draw a 3rd land. I think I resolved 5 spells that game anyway and I owed like six damage to each a dragon fodder and a soldier of the pantheon. I'm just glad he didn't draw his fire // ice. Game two was very much in his hands he took a great draw apart with despise into mind maggot (he despised turn 1 in like 80% of his games lol) and got a couple two-for-ones against me, but the combination of his Herald of Torment and giving me a couple free attacks made the game pretty close. A topdeck'd calciderm and burn spell finally put the game back into my hands.

Round 2, I'd never met Josh before, but he was a pretty funny guy. He makes arcade cabinets and has a Power Stone rig! I think he was in RWB but what you saw most of were white and black cards. I liked to call him the vampires deck. Early Windborn Muses would initially stump me as I bounced them desperately searching for an answer and taking what free attacks I could, I eventually realized it wasn't a 2/4 and that I just needed to hit one of my many 3 point removal spells. Josh's problem was he was very 3-5cc centric and so stumbled trying to keep up with all my attackers. especially withman-o'-war and kor hookmaster taking turns away from him. These games felt very midrangey to me, his removal was really efficient so I would usually be forced to go over his head with blink synergy, hypnotic siren or assemble the legion. I won in 2-0 but we finished so early we played like 3 more games.

Round 3 was coming up and I eagerly awaited seeing if I'd be playing Myles or his girlfriend Katherine at the top spot for the sweet GP Toronto side event playmat (I've never owned a playmat lol). I was pretty stoked to 2-0 at my second noob cube, especially having played people I would generally consider better players than me the first two rounds. I watched Myles take 3 damage from a 3/2 warrior who was buffed with Blood-Chin Rager, and then a bolt finished off his last 3 points. I was in for the mirror!

Me and Katherine traded a lot of creatures. I was understandably afraid of her rakdos aggro deck because I had proven my deck could stumble on draws and her creatures were in the main a little bigger than mine. I was gonna trade as much as possible to try to play the bigger midranged deck and let my tricks win it for me. I didn't count on Grenzo, Dungeon Warden lol. Blood-Chin Rager was a total MVP in these games, all around the table there was talk about how many things were incidental warriors in the noob cube. I stared at my useless untapped Minotaur Wizard, boros reckoner with a heavy heart, but then my old pal incinerate came along and the plan was on schedule again. I won game one after re using several comes into play abilities and pointing 2 burn spells at her head. Game two was a triumph of assemble the legion. I was surprised people always seemed to give me two turns off on 5 before that card actually did anything (if you consider 3 tokens for 5 mana to be something lol). I think I won both of those games at six life. I now owned a playmat and we had to rush the interview portion because the mobile camera was running low on batteries.

I stuck around with Myles and Katherine for a bit to clean up and finish some drinks where we talked about magic, youtube, aquateen hunger force, podcasts and the date with a cam girl I had the night before at the same bar lol. After spending so much time online in the last couple months it was pretty nice to have all these fun people IRL come out of the woodwork.

This is the playmat I won, on top of one of my ice and fire maps. I understand it was selling for 50 smackers at some point lol. Myles is definitely getting a sweet foil utopia tree for the noob cube on his birthday this weekend.
playmat win.jpg

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
this just in: Assemble the Legion is bonkers bananas in low-power cubes! news at eleven.

congrats on your second win in a row - let us know when the videos go up! i really enjoy Myles' videos, as well as his enthusiastic commentary.

Boros Tokens 3-1

This deck was a blast to play, even though the curve is ugly as hell. I closed out more than one game by dealing like 10 damage with Secure the Wastes + Purphoros alone.

Your weekly ramble!

Sick of UW Decks Yet?

Guys I have the same shameful, speculative and excited feeling you get after having unexpected group sex. Only this time it's public and people want soundbites!

I'm gonna give this win to my friend's Sunblast Angel, Aetherspouts and Epochrasite. My two new pals Sunblast and Spouts really showed me whats up and Epochrasite is a card I can't say enough about. I almost always want an Epochrasite in my deck and it is almost always better than you think it's gonna be. Also shout out to sideboard copy of syndic of tithes. So glad I got to play with extort a little, what a great mechanic.

Drafting was interesting, I snapped up an early control magic and compulsive research but led right into a mystic monastery, the first land I saw of any relevance. I thought I was doing it again, red seemed plentiful and enough good blue was coming my way pack 1. Pack two sort of messed me up because I noticed white was wide open but it was mainly aggressive (while I already had one hoof in control) while splashable red cards had almost dried up, thankfully I got a tonne of lands in that pack and just played it loose by trying to take cards that could go control or pressure into pack 3. A like 11th pick lingering souls had me seriously questioning my commitment to red. Pack 3 solidified me in control with an early wrath of god and sunblast angel, I knew then no one was gonna have any fun : )

Round 1 was probably the most difficult, Myles was putting us on a time limit to keep the tournament rolling (he was just playing videographer today) and our match actually came down to turns! I was so worried I'd lose my streak to a first round draw. Rob is a new friend I might end up working with actually, he was playing a deck similar to my last draft's where red and white early pressure leads into strong midrangey plays like Assemble the Legion and recurring Phoenixes. I was really proud of myself for holding my removal in our games because I saw a lot of moments where if I had been trigger happy I would have lost to a trickier threat later. I felt sorta bad for the guy because his deck got flooded twice, but I think that's the way these things go when you aren't playing draw fixing and you invest a lot of slots to creature augmentation and not threats. Tight games still. bouncing my own lifelands and playing cards off curve to extort with syndic of tithes are probably what kept me going in games 2&3.

Round 2 was my buddy Peter! He said in his interview he learned to properly play magic through cubing with me and #EricChan 2 years ago and he's never gotten any better. I'd probably call him a liar, but Peter is a headstrong guy with a penchant for idiosyncrasy. He wants to make his own mistakes and draft a deck that tickles him. Peter was on a grixis value deck with a lot of reanimation and mimic vat. Peter actually had got Skirsdag High Priest going against me in a really zany turn, but sadly, in the perfect alignment of interactions I calmly Valorous Stance'd his token and untapped to sunblast his remaining team. Glorious! I think my other favourite play was when I had a dead oblivion ring on the table that had fizzled, I got to blink it with flickerwispto take out his Hythonia the Cruel before he could wipe me with it, while also protecting me from the reanimation in his hand omg. Hythonia is a really cool card and I'm glad I get to see it in action a little!

Now I was getting pumped. I think it was the din of all the dungeons and dragons players around us, or maybe it was the fact that Myles had prewarned everyone about me and I had become sort of a running joke. I started to polish off my victory apple and asked Myles if he knew who my next round was gonna be. Of course it was the D man, Denix himself.

Conclusions? Myles had been creating some drama in the interview segment, apparently Denix was out to make a name for himself as the Lucas killer. A story as old as The Old Republic and World of Warcraft. Me and Denix had been clashing in cube for a couple years now, often only really buckling down and getting serious when we played each other. Our matches are usually grueling and full of small interactions we obsess over in conversations on the way home. Denix loves value decks and I play a lot of control so we often leave with a headache. I didn't want this to be one of those nights. I marched up to denix and took a big honkin bite of my victory apple, got on my knees beside the table and started to pray like some sort of deluded quarter back. I think that was when Myles started filming again. I was gonna have fun losing or winning.

Round 3 was not pretty, but we managed to have fun either way. I think me and Denix both sang through the majority of the round and made faces at each other regarding our hands. I had heard denix had made himself a combo deck but i couldnt see it. I think by turn 4 he had a fully leveled Joraga Treespeaker and llanowar elf in play and he seemed content to beat me down with those until I did something. I played and bounced lifelands to set back his 10 turn clock and eventually started the game in earnest with a sunblast angel, I noticed he had temur sabretooth but I had the Aetherspouts and by then was too far ahead for that card to be the engine he needed. Game two was a landslide. You need some fast interaction and pretty decent pressure to beat a draw as assertive as mine was. Seeker of the Way into two turns of Lingering Souls followed up by a Control Magic on his Temur Sabertooth. Prowess and flashback are too cute and I really want to see more of that action in white decks. Denix tires to get tricky with bone shredder but it's too late. I take another bite of my victory apple and try to find my way to Myles and his camera assistant to give another lightheaded interview and open my modern masters pack. Me, Peter and Denix sauntered off to get some cheap chinese food and get to an open mic night.

So yeah now I have some of Toronto's cubing old guard after me and I think my sun may have set, but hell I had a good run. Control Magic totally underperformed in this draft and as did Valorous Stance. Both of those cards are really awkward with the number of small bodies and tokens littering the draft. Except during the last game Lingering Souls essentially just bought me turns by discouraging attacks. Honestly the day was won by Epochrasite, Aetherspouts and bouncing lifelands, I love it!

I'm seriously considering rebuilding my cube with bouncelands and refugees. Seems so much more fun and earnest than proxied fetches and shocks. Cool to see you having such a nice streak!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I love that Lucas is the fun police of cube design. Whenever a cube is getting a little too out there with its themes and shenanigans, Lucas will set you straight by drafting a pure UW or UWR control deck that will wipe the floor with everyone. It's honestly very refreshing, and I was happy when Lucas did that a few drafts in a row with my cube, using his weapons of choice, Bonfire of the Damned and Ajani Vengeant.

Also, you might have seen this already, but Myles took a pic of your victory apple, pre-biting!

CHqLMMfWEAEXRKD.jpg:large

Hahaha where did you find that? Notice I brought my own bag of freaking popcorn. I'm really going for weird here.

@Eric remember that I played a complete go-under deck in the second draft! Actually I played a RB aggro deck in the Un-Cube draft yesterday as well! I'll get the list up for that when I'm done BBQing. We gotta get another Shepherd Draft going sometime Eric my man! I think Byran is back from the mysterious orient!

R/B/w Snackrifice

Had some really fun interactions and decisions with this deck. I could usually get in 6-10 points of damage early and then hang on to combo out late. Blood Artist and Confidant were pretty amazing here (as expected).

Unfortunately, I really screwed up the manabase. Early in drafting I was more in the white humans deck with some R/B sacrifice synergy, and never really modified my manabase to reflect the lack of white spells. I had a few times where I could've comboed off with Gravecralwer and Blasting Station or Carrion Feeder but didn't have the black mana to re-cast it enough. I also started off playing 15 lands in this deck and quickly moved to 16, but it should've absolutely been 17. Between Gravecrawler shenanigans, Tymaret, Confidant, and the Dash creatures, I was usually more crimped on mana than I expected I would be.

Still, really fun, I've been trying to build my cube to make this a viable deck for a long time, and it really came together. It was especially gratifying that someone else built a U/B deck with a sacrifice sub-theme that went bigger than what I did, including Reef Wurm, Ghoulcaller Gisa, Xathrid Necromancer, and a couple other nice pieces, so there are enough quality cards in the sacrifice theme to make two viable decks.