Sets [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir Spoilers Thread

Drafted DTK/DTK/FRF tonight at LGS, went 2-0-1 splitting with my friend, and I have to say that the format is pretty cool so far. I still hate how opening an on color rare in FRF basically gives you an almost unstoppable bomb (I opened a Hordechief, was passed a Silumgar). I think the sweetest thing I did all night was rebuying and using a Douse In Gloom 3 times off of Monastery Loremaster and Sibsig Muckdraggers. It was pretty brutal.
That was an impressive string of acronyms/abbreviations. It's almost as good as reading identity obsessed people talk about themselves on tumblr.

Oh also whenever I read DTK and FRF in quick succession I always see DTF.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That was an impressive string of acronyms/abbreviations. It's almost as good as reading identity obsessed people talk about themselves on tumblr.

Oh also whenever I read DTK and FRF in quick succession I always see DTF.

DTF Draft is my favorite limited format

Dom Harvey

Contributor
So I've tried or want to try these:

Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
Secure the Wastes
Profaner of the Dead
Shorecrasher Elemental
Sidisi's Faithful
Stratus Dancer
Sidisi, Undead Vizier
Zurgo Bellstriker
Deathmist Raptor
Den Protector
Surrak, the Hunt Caller
Dragonlord Atarka
Dragonlord Dromoka
Dragonlord Ojutai
Dragonlord Silumgar
Dromoka's Command

and possibly:

Haven of the Spirit Dragon
Ojutai's Command
Atarka's Command
Kolaghan's Command

Any good ones I'm missing?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I've tried or want to try these:

Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit Solid card, probably my favorite WW
Secure the Wastes not yet
Profaner of the Dead
Shorecrasher Elemental Ugh
Sidisi's Faithful Unsummon and Kraken Hatchling are both super niche, so maybe?
Stratus Dancer Love it so much
Sidisi, Undead Vizier I can't think of a good black 5 except for puppeteer clique. Run this: It's not poopy
Zurgo Bellstriker Yeah hes good. Nobody needed to tell you that! We shit our pants when cackler got spoiled, and he's miles better!
Avatar of the Resolute I run counters, and this isn't the incentive card I want. They naturally have lots of creatures, one more bigger one isn't going to help the deck. If you want a counter incentive card, try another angle. Inspiring Call maybe
Deathmist Raptor I want it to be good but oh man so much work
Den Protector This card is a good 5 drop
Surrak, the Hunt Caller 4 toughness makes it less horrible to stare down than polukranos, but he's still scary as fuck and can send titans crashing down on you. 10/10, would run. Only problem is I can't decide weather I want him, vengevine or polukranos, so I just ran all 3
Dragonlord Atarka It's really strong. I haven't untapped with it yet, but much like mother of runes, that's usually a strong sign
Dragonlord Dromoka Why would you want poopy baneslayer? GW has cards both better and more interesting
Dragonlord Ojutai He's really good. Fucking wish he wasn't 35$
Dragonlord Silumgar hasn't shown up, high hopes. 5 toughness is real
Dromoka's Command

and possibly:

Haven of the Spirit Dragon
Ojutai's Command
Atarka's Command
Kolaghan's Command Been solid. this is the modalest card that ever did modal, and is never dead

Any good ones I'm missing?

Ojutai Exemplars: Solid bro, nice options, not too insane. Reminds me of Hikari, Twilight Guardian, but not shit
Blood-Chin Rager: Check what your black section needs, but even with 0 other warriors, he's a solid early game play. If your deck wants a late game relavant 2 drop, he might work, but he'll likely need other warriors at that point.

Card is pretty odd. Recastable, otherwise-vanilla 4/3 isn't exactly a great aggro topper, and zombie anthem is pretty narrow in a generic cube (and irrelevant in standard right now? Next block return to innistrad confirmed. Or something). Seems catered to a real specific audience after the more generic/power brutal hordechief was just released. It honestly doesn't feel that mythic to me.

Nearly :)

Laz

Developer
How hard is it to put 'When this creature is turned face up, put a +1/+1 counter on it' on cards? I mean, sure it probably doesn't capture the flavour of dragons being better at morph-y magics', but it also doesn't make me feel like I am watching Power Rangers every time I have to read the keyword.

From Mark Rosewater's reflection on the mechanics of Tarkir block:
Popularity: Unpopular
Megamorph is the lowest-scoring mechanic of all time.
This mechanic would rank lower, except it was so poorly received by the players. My guess is if we ever wanted it to come back, we'd just refer to it as morph and have the +1/+1 counters spelled out. I think we might have forever burned the name "megamorph" (which was a goofy name to begin with).

Validated!

Aside: The article is actually an interesting read...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, that article was great, and a surprisingly transparent one for a guy who's usually all "rah rah Magic is great look at all the awesome stuff we did!". I'd love to see him review past sets and blocks with a similar critical eye.

I've always thought Maro is actually pretty honest and critical of magic sets - of the past. Current sets he's a little more lax on, but he is one of their marketing reps really. Still surprisingly honest about failures.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I did not like the name megemorph, but as a mechanic it was pretty decent.

I think as a mechanic, morph is good, thus Megamorph would be probably just as good, adjusted for creature size. This is like kicker and multikicker, except without even the extra dimension

I feel like part of the problem is that it didn't do enough to differentiate itself from morph. The block already had normal morph and manifest in the first set, then suddenly there's a new morph mechanic that is identical besides adding counters. It doesn't have much wow factor which I think probably hurt it in their market research.

I don't think megamorph was a terrible mechanic, but it didn't feel like it added anything to the game beyond the existence of morph. The name was goofy, but so was the ability itself ("It's morph, and also the creature gets a +1/+1 counter"). It immediately brought to mind mechanics like Megaflying (This creature has flying and enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter).

The comparison isn't really fair, because with megamorph there are the options of casting it for the base cost as a smaller creature, or cast for 3 + pay the morph cost for a bigger one plus maybe a triggered ability. It made more interesting cards than morph itself, IMO.

Megaflying's only "benefit" would be pitching to force, and with a messy design.

These names really hurt to read and write. I think megamorph was a decent mechanic with an atrocious name. I imagine the marketing department coming up with this trying to woo the 7-11 yo audience - and even that is kind of insulting to the kids.