Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

There has never been a 1/3 for 1 with no drawback before, and this guy also pseudo-trades with any large ground creature. And if your 1 drop gets Doom Bladed, it's more than done its job. I expect Mass to be a big hit.

chaosreveler.jpg

Chaos Reveler
~ costs {1} less to cast for each instant or sorcery card in your graveyard.
Prowess
When ~ ETBs, discard your hand and draw three cards.

Me like

I'm with Jason. There is a really sweet constructed deck for that card, but in limited (even cube)? How many instants/sorceries can you hope to get by T5? 3 maybe. So this is a 5 drop that gets you a vanilla 3/4 and 3 cards. I'm not sure I'm sold. That's good value for sure, but how often will that ideal scenario happen? And the floor is much lower (paying 6+ and basically looting 3 cards for a 3/4).

Clever design and that has been true of the whole set. I'm just not sure this will cube worthy. I hope people test it though.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'm with Jason. There is a really sweet constructed deck for that card, but in limited (even cube)? How many instants/sorceries can you hope to get by T5? 3 maybe. So this is a 5 drop that gets you a vanilla 3/4 and 3 cards. I'm not sure I'm sold. That's good value for sure, but how often will that ideal scenario happen? And the floor is much lower (paying 6+ and basically looting 3 cards for a 3/4).

Clever design and that has been true of the whole set. I'm just not sure this will cube worthy. I hope people test it though.
I don't think you want to cast this on turn 5. You're waiting a few more turns, when it can refill your hand, plus give you a creature. It needs to be in a spell heavy deck, for sure. Anyway, that's how I see it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's not hard at all to put four spells in your graveyard in red-based decks in my cube, which makes this a 4/5 (assuming you draw a spell) draw three for {2}{R}{R}, which is preeeeeetty gud. Definitely a card I want to try out.

I don't think you want to cast this on turn 5. You're waiting a few more turns, when it can refill your hand, plus give you a creature. It needs to be in a spell heavy deck, for sure. Anyway, that's how I see it.

This is a pretty awful finisher though. What is this doing on T6+? If you get concentrate plus a 3/4, that's certainly great value but it also means you were top decking. Maybe I'm just not seeing the appeal for midrange/control? Admittedly, this card feels hard to evaluate at face value.

I was thinking you'd want to run it in an aggro Rx shell (RU spells matter in particular), vomit your hand T1-4, and then use this to semi-reload while dropping another body on the table (a body that is much better early than late). The cost reduction mechanic encourages emptying your hand anyway.

Concentrate + beefy prowess body for cbeap sounds like a sweet deal late game. Dumping hand into more gas sounds sweet too. I'm not sure where the issues with the card are coming from?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Concentrate + beefy prowess body for cbeap sounds like a sweet deal late game. Dumping hand into more gas sounds sweet too. I'm not sure where the issues with the card are coming from?

Exactly. A 3/4 prowess is decent, no?

Not for 6RR it isn't. That's god awful. So you need instants/sorceries in the yard. Tasigur would be unplayable trash if you couldn't reliably cast that for 2B, and compared to this it's perma-prowessed by 1. You'll need 5 instants/sorceries in your yard to get this to cost 1RR. How often is that going to happen?

The ETB is also super bad if you have a fistful of cards. Discard 7, draw 3 for a 3/4 prowess at 6RR is horrific. Of course, that scenario is not going to happen, but if we are talking about low floors, this thing is like locked in a bombshelter 200 feet underground.

If we learned anything from Treasure Cruise, it was that overcosted looking cards with ways to mitigate said cost can be much better than they initially appear.

Delve is so much easier to abuse though. Requiring instants and sorceries greatly limits the cost discount that you can reasonably expect to get. It's also more comparable to Dig Through Time due to the CC in the cost. TC for U is possible and that is absurd value. I honestly don't see people getting this new red guy below 2RR, and even that requires 4 instants/sorceries, so it's going to be a fairly narrow deck that wants it. Basically the Young Pyro deck has a place for this card, but this doesn't just slide into any red deck. I like the design of the card, and I hope it's less narrow than I think it is.