Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It seems pretty boring to me tbh. Its a card you run if you're looking to instill core set level simplicity.
That does not mean it has no value though, it's a good card that aggressive players will appreciate. It also has an attack trigger, which is nice if you have a way to generate extra combat steps.

If you want to include only complex cards in your cube though, be my guest :p

I much prefer the bloodthirst guys to cards that trigger on attack. Because it's still a simple mechanic, but there's much more gameplay to it. Blood Ogre is actually pretty good. 3 power on a FS dude can remain relevant, especially if you have pump effects. I'm a bit biased though since I support +1/+1 counters.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That 3 drop slot in red is also really important. Thats the top end of the aggro curve, and the point where WOTC starts to give red utility options that the color badly wants to support an engaging endgame.

Not saying that I am against selecting spots on the curve to provide simplicity (e.g. I think running serendib efreet is a lot better than stitched drake or fettergeist) but I don't like doing so at this specific point on the curve in red.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'll admit that the red three drop slot is incredibly tight. Even more so for me because I'm rocking a custom three to support the "cast two spells a turn" subtheme.

yxrMYNo.jpg

Pleasing post-prerelease cards

Yeah, this card is the real deal. Hits almost as often as Looter il-Kor, but skulk is a more interesting keyword than shadow, and the tokens are awesome. I was discarding early game creatures to Cryptbreaker and paying 2 extra to make a 2/2 zombie and a 3/2 horror. The horror! :)
Holy shit. I just reread the text on Wharf Infiltrator. I didn't realize it was whenever you discarded a creature, not just when Wharf Infiltrator itself looted.

Me right now:
giphy.gif

Chris Taylor

Contributor

This guy is pretty cool actually. Not impossible to remove, and also not super duper weak either.
He says "opponent", so you can still equip him and giant growth him etc.

I thought this thing had a frost titan trigger, not just tapping things :(
I guess it's a decent way to put pestermite in your cube without kiki-jiki combo being a thing, but it seems like you're doing that with about 4 times as many words as necessary.
Spirit text is cool, and I do like incidental tribal interactions (Like Coralhelm Commander giving mutavault +1/+1) but I'm not sure this really makes it.

Love this guy! Drawing cards is probably a distant second to actually attacking, but it's not useless text, and T1 Cryptbreaker, T2 activate, discard bloodghast is super duper sweet :D

The mini wheel mode kicked the shit out of me post brainstorm tonight. Don't underestimate the ability to throw a wrench in well made plans essentially for free.

Yeah just in case anyone thought this card wasn't worth it, it's good. 5 mana is reachable, and I did actually try and group block him (Which you can't do), so the rules text on the other side officially actually means something :p

So everyone here went 3-1 or 4-0? Are we all just amazing?

Well, prereleases do tend to attract a more casual audience and everyone here spends a reasonable amount of time posting on a forum dedicated to a particular kind of limited magic, so we may be a little more invested than the general prerelease crowd.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, prereleases do tend to attract a more casual audience and everyone here spends a reasonable amount of time posting on a forum dedicated to a particular kind of limited magic, so we may be a little more invested than the general prerelease crowd.

I guess our prerelease attendees are a bit different from the average prerelease crowd then. Most of the players are regulars that have been playing Magic for years, a good number of them have one or more pro points, and even more of them have played or still play at Grand Prix.