Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

Sigh, what are your thoughts on emerge in cube? I'm pretty stoked. It feels like an interesting gy focused variant of ramp.
Think they are great for cubes

I like Chris's comment that's it's like an aura with split second. Your creature gets upgraded, can't be 2-1'ed in response, but could after the fact.

Not sure it's even really ramp, more like sacrifice-based midrange. But that's just semantics. I think all the emerge cards can fit into cubes of various power levels. A couple other things I like about them: they are cast triggers, so they can't be abused nearly as easily. They also encourage not only low cmc etbs, but low cmc death triggers, which is sweet. Only one I don't like that much is the discard one, cuz it's so brutal

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Pros:
-Each emerge creature basically does something on cast for value
-Killing the creature in response is impossible
-Technically hardcastable as a creature (though usually a niche option)

Cons:
-Creature doesn't necessarily (though usually does) get bigger
-No targeting synergy for heroic, no enchantment synergy for constellation (Unlike regular auras)
-The assumed case of sacrificing a 3/4 drop isn't always possible (Sometimes it gets killed, sometimes you only have a 2 drop creature, etc etc)

Wash:
-Doesn't go great with tokens (Call of the herd style), but works pretty well with other tokens (Blade splicer style)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Not sure it's even really ramp, more like sacrifice-based midrange. But that's just semantics. I think all the emerge cards can fit into cubes of various power levels.

Like a podless pod archetype that feels less clunky build around, and more like an organic archetype?

Pros:
-Each emerge creature basically does something on cast for value
-Killing the creature in response is impossible
-Technically hardcastable as a creature (though usually a niche option)

Cons:
-Creature doesn't necessarily (though usually does) get bigger
-No targeting synergy for heroic, no enchantment synergy for constellation (Unlike regular auras)
-The assumed case of sacrificing a 3/4 drop isn't always possible (Sometimes it gets killed, sometimes you only have a 2 drop creature, etc etc)

Wash:
-Doesn't go great with tokens (Call of the herd style), but works pretty well with other tokens (Blade splicer style)

Cons:
Isn't ETB.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The distinction between ETB and cast can be confusing for newer players but that cause was lost a looooong time ago with most of our Cubes anyway. I'm starting to like cast triggers more because they decrease the ETB spam that often defines games with blink/reanimation, and countermagic is good enough if you let it be that it's nice to have a countermeasure.

Speaking of Emerge, how do we feel about:

The Emerge clause feels really forced (couldn't it just be 'when you sacrifice...'?) especially if you don't run Emergers but the card itself is a neat effect in creature-heavy green decks.

The distinction between ETB and cast can be confusing for newer players but that cause was lost a looooong time ago with most of our Cubes anyway. I'm starting to like cast triggers more because they decrease the ETB spam that often defines games with blink/reanimation, and countermagic is good enough if you let it be that it's nice to have a countermeasure.

Speaking of Emerge, how do we feel about:

The Emerge clause feels really forced (couldn't it just be 'when you sacrifice...'?) especially if you don't run Emergers but the card itself is a neat effect in creature-heavy green decks.
Yeah i thought it could have been just sacrifice, maybe even when it dies.. now it's just not that great. If you think it as a creature with the ETB ability only, it seems worse than Augur of Bolas, which is pretty bad already.

...do you guys not run like.... 17 creatures in decks with green? This thing has gotta hit like a bunch more than augur. One deeper, looking for a type that a deck has more of. Seems fine.

Also really hate the weird sac text

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Also note that green and blue are pretty good at TOL interactions, and the emerge creatures fall into BUG color pairings.

I still don't really like it though as a synergy piece, as it seems to feed into a bunch of interactions that feel poorly calibrated for the card's role. Emissary is much more elegant, very clearly signals the deck, and I don't think I'm really looking for that kind of signal complexity on my tutor piece.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Yeah the Augur of Bolas comparison is just bizarre. There is literally no deck that wants them both at the same time, their colours tend to want different things, and it's much much easier to get a high creature count than a high instant/sorcery count

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This card would have been awesome (and way more elegant) if it had a straight up sac clause. I would have run it in a heartbeat, considering that Birthing Pod is a thing :). Maybe just edit out the emerge-specific part on the card?

I didn't attend a prerelease but I share Sigh's enthusiasm with regards to emerge. Unfortunately yet another mechanic (like investigate) that I adore and doesn't get enough cards.

Played again in a Sunday prerelease, and pulled a godly set of packs! Still went 3-1 though, thanks mana screw.

This deck was insaaaaaaane. Got to play emrakul twice, I think. Won very soon after both times. Got to feel that feeling when you discard Arlinn Kord for ~value~, both for delirium and Emrakul ramp. Also, ruthless disposal is wicked powerful. Sac your least useful guy, discard land, kill villains two best creatures. Wow. Liliana is as good as I thought she would be. Value on both the first two abilities, and so cheap! Most games I would just use her as removal/damage control, but I did use the Corpse Churn ability too, and that side is awesome. Love that you can get any creature back with it.

Just got back from my second sunday prerelease. The first one was a wash, and I decided to open up the second kit for the cards and drop. The issue with that was that I had proceeded to open one of the greatest pre-release pools I have ever seen. I proceeded to 4-0 without losing a single match.

It's been a long, but fun day. It's worth noting that I also pulled a Tamiyo, and was tempted to use 2 Terrarions that I got to splash it... but decided not to mess with a good thing.

Played again in a Sunday prerelease, and pulled a godly set of packs! Still went 3-1 though, thanks mana screw.

This deck was insaaaaaaane. Got to play emrakul twice, I think. Won very soon after both times. Got to feel that feeling when you discard Arlinn Kord for ~value~, both for delirium and Emrakul ramp. Also, ruthless disposal is wicked powerful. Sac your least useless guy, discard land, kill villains two best creatures. Wow. Liliana is as good as I thought she would be. Value on both the first two abilities, and so cheap! Most games I would just use her as removal/damage control, but I did use the Corpse Churn ability too, and that side is awesome. Love that you can get any creature back with it.

That deck looks SICK! Dude, you are rocking it!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I always reassemble my sealed pool into two decks to see if I missed any builds, and to get a feel for the cards I didn't play. I should probably have played this instead of the deck in my previous post. It's a lot more consistent in the early game, the emerge creatures are less painful to cast through emerge, because they are almost always an upgrade, and Cryptbreaker and Wharf Infiltrator are a match made in heaven. It's possible Vexing Scuttler should be in the main over Coax, but the option to go Coax into Scuttler into Coax into It of the Horrid Swarm is such sweet value if you're not under any pressure.

Coax Sideboard

Pleasing post-prerelease cards

Yeah, this card is the real deal. Hits almost as often as Looter il-Kor, but skulk is a more interesting keyword than shadow, and the tokens are awesome. I was discarding early game creatures to Cryptbreaker and paying 2 extra to make a 2/2 zombie and a 3/2 horror. The horror! :)

I don't run any red vampires in my cube, and the {B/R} guild is absent from my cube due to the peculiar color wheel, but if you do run vampires then this is a serious option in my opinion. Team-wide first strike was devastating in the test games I played. In case of vampires they are twice doomed. Either they block and lose their creature to first strike, or they don't block and the vampire gets bigger and harder to block next time. And the card even has madness for some added value!

The first strike was so helpful that it inspired me to replace the custom {1}{R} sorcery burn spell in my cube with this.

Tyrant's Favor.jpg

It replaced the last awaken spell left in my cube. One more insular keyword eliminated!

A simple card, but one that hits surprisingly hard. The 3 toughness is especially satisfying, because it means it will seldomly trade down. This is a quality creature that effortlessly slots into aggressive cube decks. Team #elegance should go wild for this one!

Hits like a truck! I've always found Dictate of Heliod a bit too annoying for sticking around for future turns after you already molested your opponent with the instant speed pump, so this would be a pretty good replacement. It even has some built-in flexibility thanks to escalate. If I can find room for this one I might try it out. I'm still partial to Great Teacher's Decree though, that's a pump spell that routinely gets undervalued.

Emerge
Unlike everyone and their mothers I still don't really like emerge. The deck above makes much, much better use of it than the deck I ran at the prerelease, but you're still two-for-oneing yourself with most of these.

I'm not surprised seeing Brazen Wolves in your writeup, Onderzeeboot. That card consistently over-performed for me in my first prerelease (even though I scrubbed out round 2). That third point of toughness makes all the difference, and it's very easy for it to trade up, or even kill two opposing blockers with a small combat trick. I have a feeling that the wolves are going to be premium filler in draft.

Cards that overperformed for me in my deck:

Graf Harvest: The value on this card doesn't seem incredible (or it didn't to me, at first), but over the course of a grindy game, it can completely take over. The fact that it gives zombies menace is just great, and in a format with not a whole lot of turn 1 plays, it fits the curve really nicely. My favorite thing that happened with it during prerelease was when I exiled my Gitrog Monster in response to my opponent attempting to reanimate it. Great card, I really underrated it.

Haunted Dead: The fact that you get a flyer with this is enough to make up for the lack of power it puts on the board, imo. It's incredibly cheaply costed for it's reanimation cost, too, and milling it early can shore up a weak hand. I like it a lot. (or at the very least, it worked for me.)

Edit: One card that I saw do a TON of damage was Thermo-Alchemist. There was actually a game where my opponent's Alchemist did upwards of 9 damage to me!