Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

FYI I run Oath of Jace and it's been pretty phenomenal over here; {U} decks tend to like lots of spells, but they'll happily trade that away to scry with their Tamiyo, the Moon Sage to keep Miss Moon Ladyma'am alive by improving their draws.

I'm not saying "Run Oaths to power up your 8-Planeswalker SuperFriends decks!" I'm saying they offer great perks for just grabbing up 1 or 2 'walkers.

I may be a little late to this discussion, but on the subject of Oaths I wanted to say that oath of nissa has been wonderful in my cube.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Seal of Doom is a pretty good card. Even decks that don't care that its an enchantment find good use for it. Being able to prepay it sets up boardstates where you can tap out for things that would normally leave you exposed to game-losing plays. Obviously costing three is a real drawback, but I've been pleased by the play it has. Oath of Liliana seems powerful, but I'm not sure "get a blocker with your planeswalker" is the upside I want.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

EDIT -

Oh yeah, CI tags don't work yet. Here's the list until they show up.

Selfless Spirit
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Collective Effort
Niblis of Frost
Mausoleum Wanderer
Wharf Infiltrator
Collective Brutality
Incendiary Flow
Collective Defiance
Stromkirk Occultist
Spell Queller
Cryptbreaker
Noose Constrictor

testing

lone rider
selfless soul
extricator of sin
thalia, heretic cathar
working together

wharf infiltrator
curious homonculus
nibilis of frost
docent of perfection

cryptbreaker
collective brutality

hanweir garrison
stromkirk mystic
mirrorwing dragon
chaos reveler
incendiary flow
nahiris wrath
united resistance

kessig prowler
ishkanah, graftwidow
decimator of provinces
grapple with the past
eldritch evoltion

spell queller

gisa and geralf

bloodhall priest

grim flayer

cryptolith fragment

emrakul, the promised end

hanweir battlements

New Thalia looks broken. I'm going to try her in place of old Thalia though I'm not sure that will last.

I know they are totally different cards, but there is something inelegant to me about having two legendary creatures that are basically the same creature but not subject to legendary rules because they have different names. Just not a fan.

Yeah I'm absolutely convinced that a while ago they said they were going to stop doing that. They may even have done so for a few blocks. I guess with the Return sets people want to see the characters they liked from the first time around?

Do people really follow the storyline? I know the more hardcore audience does, but is that something the average player does these days?

For those here that do, how is the writing? Is it good?

It's dependent upon the writer. There are some really decent writers on the staff and others are terrible, it's hit or miss pretty often. I'm not a fan of the current overarching story with the Gatewatch and all that since superhero groups are lame. I love many of the older stories though, mostly because they were less planeswalker driven. It's just that the core group of characters that they're focusing on is just so boring though they've worked to give them more personality in recent sets.

Because WOTC is still stuck in like 2003, they haven't been good about keeping older stuff accessible but luckily there's some stuff lying around. Here are the Kamigawa Block Vignettes, some of my favorite stories they've ever done. Though my all-time favorite story is definitely the one about Feldon: Loran's Smile.

Do people really follow the storyline? I know the more hardcore audience does, but is that something the average player does these days?

For those here that do, how is the writing? Is it good?

I enjoyed "The Thran"; the tale of Yawgmoth's ascension. Though, I recommend steering clear of story in general (unless you like disappointment).

"Rise of the Eldrazi" captured my imagination for a conceptual album showcasing the roiling Zendikar into the awakening and immediate aftermath of the titans' emergence, but the more I delved into the written story leading into Battle/Oath (in attempt to fill gaps from the first block), the less enthused I became. And this was after reading a *very* marginal book following Nissa and Sorin from Rise-era (which already had dampened my spirits).

MTG is now patterned off Marvel's 'The Avengers': super hero team adventures to save the world planes!. I think the story is written to cater to the average player/customer.

CML

Contributor
There are some really decent writers on the staff

Incorrect

People do dig it though

JUuJ7nR.jpg