General Fight Club

Chris Taylor

Contributor
No, that daze art is really bad. More like this:

urlll.jpg

MRW people ask me what regenerate means

Aoret

Developer
I swear some of my drafters just glaze over Italicized text at this point.
It's odd, I've actually been continually surprised at how well my group does with new mechanics. I've taken a group of filthy casuals and just thrown the book at them. While I do get a "hey so how does Devotion work?" or somesuch question about once per draft, they're always like "oh! okay!" and it never comes up again.

I'm seeing instant recognition and acceptance of stuff that I fully expected people to balk at for being too complicated.

First time I sleeved up Standstill I wound up playing against it the player who drafted it, and one game went something like:

Me: 1-drop
Her: --
Me: 2-drop
Her: Standstill

My best guess is that she assumed it was "idiot-proof" like most newly-printed Magic cards (i.e. the new FTK variants are never going to kill themselves or your other creatures since they all say "may" or "an opponent controls" or both).

Aoret

Developer
Foundry and Desert and I don't think it's close. (Full disclosure: the only one of these lands I've ever actually played with is Quicksand)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I run both Desert and Quicksand in my ULD and they both make decks. I take Desert more often, but there are a lot of 3/2 dudes running around these days so quicksand still probably has a purpose.

I was absurdly impressed with how much play there is to Priest in a few Origins drafts, and I can only imagine it playing even better in Cube with sac outlets and recursion and blink. I've considered him but the art is a bit too "meh" and my 5s are stacked currently, but he's on the shortlist, and I'd rather draft him than Sidisi imho.

I like Sidisi as a playable d tutor but I've been thinking more and more about Priest, especially whenever I play a Reveillark deck. What a package that card is!