Sets [M21] M21 Previews!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also this leak is real apparently:
Deteriorate%2B%255BM21%255D.jpg

Manticore looks straight out of the Questing Beast school of design. Yuck.

It actually has less text than almost every other Masticore except for the original and the Lesser if you discount the reminder text.

I'm pretty sure this card just exists to murder Ugin in standard.

1. Man, could Basri be any more boring? It's like they took Ajani and Gideon and just kinda smooshed them together. I would have preferred this to be a new Ajani and have them find a more unique effect and personality for whatever new white walker they made to replace Gideon. I mean, I'll probably slot the guy in because he seems hilarious with Winota, but he otherwise gets a resounding 'meh' from me.

I think Basri looks pretty cool. If he comes down in the mid to late game, he gives your players some interesting decisions. Do I plus right away? Do I use the -2 to make tokens? Do I plus once and then tokens the next two turns? Do I try to ultimate this?

Plus, the card just fits into so many shells. Am I supporting tokens? Basri works. Counters? Good there too! Traditional aggro? Still good. Potentially, Basri has Pia and Kiran Nalaar levels of synergy.

teferistutelage.jpg

They finally keyworded Mill.

I'm a big fan of this. I think this type of effect is good enough to work in cube, but needs a lot of repetition to work. With this card, we now officially have enough Sphinx'sTutelage variants to emulate having 4 copies of a card in a 40 card deck. I'm not sure I'll end up playing it, but it does make me want to re-visit the idea of supporting an Origins-style U/R Tutelage deck.

rinandseriinseparable.jpg

Everyone is freaking out about Hounds being Dogs, but I'm pretty sure the dogs should gain the life and the cats should do the damage.
I was kind of ticked that the first real Dog tribal card is also a Cat tribal card, but I'll forgive him for being such a good boy.

He's a very cute dog.

Dogcat is very cute and I love that we broke through the dog barrier finally. I'll just say that I think the effects are in the correct order. Dogs are historically companions of hunting, guarding a flock, and other "damage-y" things, while cats are historically companions of the household and hearth, keeping the home pest free and providing comfort and other "life-y" things.

Dogcat is very cute and I love that we broke through the dog barrier finally. I'll just say that I think the effects are in the correct order. Dogs are historically companions of hunting, guarding a flock, and other "damage-y" things, while cats are historically companions of the household and hearth, keeping the home pest free and providing comfort and other "life-y" things.

my thesis title "The Meme Cat and the Historical Cat: Essays in Digital Ontology"

It actually has less text than almost every other Masticore except for the original and the Lesser if you discount the reminder text.

It's not so much the amount of text, but how the card does not feel cohesive as the abilities have no connection to flavor or each other. I don't think this new Masticore is too bad, though. Discarding as a cost is solidly tied to the Masticore crature type, and two of its abilities are about hating planeswalkers.

I'm a big fan of this. I think this type of effect is good enough to work in cube, but needs a lot of repetition to work. With this card, we now officially have enough Sphinx'sTutelage variants to emulate having 4 copies of a card in a 40 card deck. I'm not sure I'll end up playing it, but it does make me want to re-visit the idea of supporting an Origins-style U/R Tutelage deck.

Tutelage in Limited was kind of obnoxious because it was so hard to interact with it. I tested it in cube and it was actually a pretty strong control win condition by itself. I would not run a second, but hey, I'm the guy who wrote that post about not liking consistency. You only need a copy if you plan on supporting an archetype like Turbo fog.

Tutelage in Limited was kind of obnoxious because it was so hard to interact with it. I tested it in cube and it was actually a pretty strong control win condition by itself. I would not run a second, but hey, I'm the guy who wrote that post about not liking consistency. You only need a copy if you plan on supporting an archetype like Turbo fog.
Turbo fog? Nah, that archetype is too narrow. I just want to draw ALL of the cards!

I mean he doesn't say other. Are you really slotting balto in here? a bear with "prevent damage when attacking"?

It depends on how many other good dogs they print. As it stands, my white section is a little too tight for space to add a meme dog. However, if there are some other good aggressive dogs in the set, I could see myself playing it.

vitothornoftheduskrose.jpg
indulgingpatrician.jpg

BW lifegain really coming together. I might make a post in the life gain thread when this set's done, because that thread's way behind.

teferisagelessinsight.jpg

If you're slow enough to run a dedicated cycling deck, I can see this being real. Alhammarret's Archive already covers this and then some for a mana more.

peerintotheabyss.jpg

Look at this fucking art lol. Cool effect, but you can just draw 7 or cast a Cruel here, so...

chromaticorrery.jpg

I don't think this is good, but I like it...

mayhemjester.jpg

Creature - Devil
Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, Mayhem Jester deals 1 damage to any target.
This is sweet. 5/5 for 5 gets some respect and it's Mayhem Devil for only yourself, which makes more sense anyways. Love this one.

primalmight.jpg

Basic fight with an X tacked on. I love these sets for their clean designs. This one plus the two posts above me are really basic cards with a bit of text added to make something pretty cool.