Sets [M21] M21 Previews!

Barrin seems like a great single-card archetype! I don't think I run anything that actually goes well with him, though. The best would be Into the Roil? If you run bouncelands or the Crystal Shard-flavored blink, he's awesome.

I'll try Ghostly Pilferer for sure, and I'm cautiously optimistic. On one hand:
- Good madness enabler, no mana needed
- Aggressive, good in aggro-control
- Randomly hoses a LOT of stuff: flashback, rebound, retrace, escape, Light Up the Stage, suspend, cascade

However, it has two key issues:
- Opens you up to 2-1s against any sort of instant speed removal (mitigated if paired with Keep Safe effects)
- 2 mana to loot is a lot on an aggressive creature.

Barrin makes me want to include bounce lands.

But 10 is just sooo much. Does anyone have a good solution? Running only a few Guilds?

Barrin seems like a great single-card archetype! I don't think I run anything that actually goes well with him, though. The best would be Into the Roil? If you run bouncelands or the Crystal Shard-flavored blink, he's awesome.

I'll try Ghostly Pilferer for sure, and I'm cautiously optimistic. On one hand:
- Good madness enabler, no mana needed
- Aggressive, good in aggro-control
- Randomly hoses a LOT of stuff: flashback, rebound, retrace, escape, Light Up the Stage, suspend, cascade

However, it has two key issues:
- Opens you up to 2-1s against any sort of instant speed removal (mitigated if paired with Keep Safe effects)
- 2 mana to loot is a lot on an aggressive creature.

I've been waiting for a playable Aquamoeba for basically forever. Free instant speed discard and evasion is so clutch. The punisher effect is quite strong in my cube.

I'm less concerned with the cost of the draw trigger. It'll be more of a late-game mana-sink.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Barrin makes me want to include bounce lands.

But 10 is just sooo much. Does anyone have a good solution? Running only a few Guilds?

Not every guild is interested in bouncelands, and Barrin is blue. I think blue-based control and ramp like it, and of course landfall stategies. I run the UB, RG, and GU ones in my cube. WB and RW get a painland instead. Don't be afraid to break up your land cycles to best serve the color pairs! :)

Barrin is a natural fit for my environment (which runs UB and GU as the only two blue guilds). Maybe there's some inspiration for others in my inclusions. Not going to list every option, if you see one ninja, you'll know where to look for more :)

White also has a few lovely options that I don't currently run (and WU isn't a thing in my cube anyway), but are sweet with Barrin, some higher power than others.

sanctumofall.jpg

So, I have a bit of a designer handicap where I love multicolored cards, narrow build arounds, and great art. With that said, I come to answer one of M21's greatest questions: Am I really this stupid?

Let's take a look at the shrines by color to see if they cooperate with each other and if they can support any themes. Let's also consider how many shrines you need in play to make the cards look good in a low-mid power environment and how we feel about the baseline effect with one shrine.
sanctumoftranquillight.jpg

So, the synergy here is basically nothing. They both slow the game down but it's not terribly efficient.

The Sanctum is very "retail draft removal" level and is the least appealing of all 10 of these to me. It gets good, but not until 4-5 total shrines in play. Otherwise, it's basically shit. The only application I see for this one is to increase your density of Shrines. The only theme it's playing with is enchantment decks, and that's a stretch. It's a cheap way to build shrine count, and the dedicated shrine deck is likely the only one that wants it.

The Honden, however, looks alright. The life can really add up with even just one shrine and starts looks pretty good at 2-3 shrines. This could take out some aggro matchups for you. Obviously, this thing is great in a life based deck, which often wants both frequent triggers and lots of total life. Likely a BW deck. As you'll see, the B Sanctum plays along well.

sanctumofcalmwaters.jpg

Loving how both of these are such classic blue cards. Draw more. Excellent. Every blue deck could use them, but are they any good?

To me, Phyrexian Arena is a great example of an ongoing draw engine that's strong in a slower environment. To get similar results to Arena, I'd argue both of these need two shrines in play. That's very reasonable and I think they're both decent cards. The big downside to these is that you'll likely deck out if you actually go all-in on shrines, but that can be worked around.

sanctumofstonefangs.jpg

These two don't play along well at all, but I think that's okay because they're both so thematically black.

The Sanctum here is great. For just two mana, you're getting a repetitive life gain trigger. With a second shrine in play, it's like a lifelink bear. The fact that it functions on its own is valuable and it comes down quickly for shrine count.

The Honden is tricky because its usefulness is tied to the number of cards in the opponents hand when it hits play. It will often shut down interaction during your turn from the opponent, seeing as it will come down late. With two total shrines out, this adds inevitability to a lot of matchups. Not too bad.

sanctumofshatteredheights.jpg

As has been the case, you're really going to want a second shrine in play for these. Once you have it, these will really chip away at the opponent's board. I'm digging the potential of both of these. If you get both out at once, you'll be able to shoot down a lot of threats.

sanctumoffruitfulharvest.jpg
161836_200w.jpg

These both do a great job supporting green themes, so that's a strong start.

For ramp, you can find better rates than the Sanctum, but it's totally passable with no other shrines in play and decks may even run it with no chance of hitting a second shrine, depending what your format's ramp looks like.

The Honden is looking pretty bad as a solo shrine. As a sorcery, we'd expect to get four tokens immediately for 5 mana. You're going to want three total shrines (or two and a slow game) to make this thing get beyond that theoretical sorcery. That said, once it surpasses that sorcery, you'll continue getting dudes until this thing is answered or your opponent is overwhelmed.

I also dig the token art.

Conclusion(sort of)
None of these shrines are great on their own, but once you hit 2-3 in play, they all start looking pretty good. If your environment is slow enough, you could totally support them. That said, you're likely gonna need to run doubles in the draft if you want to get a decent density of shrines. Unlike a tribal deck that encourages pure collection, this feels more like a side strategy to add an occasional twist to your draft.

From there. I'd certainly encourage some sort of enchantments theme in the format since you already have a decent quantity. Lifegain is supported by two of the shrines, so you might as well give that a whirl in your theoretical low power environment. Especially with the new BW tools from M21. The blue and red shrines slot in anywhere. The green ones will also work in many decks. That's eight of the ten slotting in pretty easily, so I like the potential.

Another option is to just throw in two sets of the 11 cards on top of your existing environment for a while to try them out. I don't anticipate these will hold much value, so why not?

Beyond the obvious enchantress-type synergies, Paradox Haze plays with the Hondens (but not the Sanctums). Sphere of Safety does a decent shrine impression. Brad's BRILLIANT GW Legends theme can help with Captain Sisay grabbing shrines (discussion starts here: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/the-selesnya-conclave-gw.1848/#post-81448). Clever Impersonator can copy an opponent's shrine that you lack. Any other less obvious interactions you guys have?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Any other less obvious interactions you guys have?
All of these work with Dominaria's historic theme, and a couple of the new ones can be tutored up with Zur the Enchanter.

I don't think you need to run a two sets here, by the way, and I don't think you need the rare 5 color one either. Just the 10 uncommons should provide ample support for Shrines in anything 450 or below, at least. I must say, drafting around Shrines has always been super fun, so my hands are really itching to make room for all 10 of them. It's going to be hard to find 10 cuts though!

Yeah. I guess it depends how much you want to push the theme, really. If you want the 5c one and a shrine deck, I'd run like one 5c one and two sets of the rest. If you want it a little more in the background, one set is probably fine. Or maybe run three per color, doubling up on your preferred one of the two. There's options.

I'm just thinking a deck really wants 2+ in play at once, so (without any super nerd math, just guessing) a deck probably needs 5 to expect to hit that. 10 in a 450 means only ~8 show up in the entire draft, so you can't even have two players shrinin' and shinin'.

That said, an increase in tutors will enable the deck a little more. Zur could maybe grab some, but the ones in his colors and him don't play along tooo well. Sisay grabbing and casting one per turn is formidable. Demonic Tutor does a good job at only being as good as the environment, so that and Enlightened Tutor and/or Vampiric Tutor could increase density a little. There's also Sterling Grove. Enduring Ideal into 5c Sanctum is pretty fun. All that said, it's a little tough to tell your players they need to tutor to get something over costed. There's probably enough cards to enable enchantment reanimator, as well.

I'm concerned how often players get stuck with one shrine out and get disappointed.

EDIT: Who here has the enchantment EDH deck? Why are these cards so expensive?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I just realized, what I really want is a colorshifted {W}{B} Sisay. I could easily cut Teysa, Orzhov Scion for that. Am I crazy thinking that Sisay would be fine as a {1}{W}{B} 2/2?

Also, Sterling Grove is in dire need of a reprint. Make it happen WotC, it's just an uncommon! I do own a couple, because Invasion happens to be the set I started playing Magic :)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I have been trying to cull the big images that people that been posting with smaller versions. I am usually a day late to the recent posts, so most won't notice.
I am just trying to make things more readable. So no one freak out if the images you post have changed (well maybe freak out if I changed it with a completely different one :p)

Am I crazy thinking that Sisay would be fine as a {1}{W}{B} 2/2?

Also, Sterling Grove is in dire need of a reprint.
I might lean towards adding stats rather than down-costing a repeatable tutor. Maybe a 2/4 to avoid bolts or a 4/2 if you'd rather see an attacker? I think I like it as a 2/4, probably. You can try Thalia's Lancers, at least.

It's an $11 uncommon that doesn't even seem that good. It's gotta be an EDH thing. Rector is $40.

Beyond the obvious enchantress-type synergies, Paradox Haze plays with the Hondens (but not the Sanctums). Sphere of Safety does a decent shrine impression. Brad's BRILLIANT GW Legends theme can help with Captain Sisay grabbing shrines (discussion starts here: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/the-selesnya-conclave-gw.1848/#post-81448). Clever Impersonator can copy an opponent's shrine that you lack. Any other less obvious interactions you guys have?

The shrines being legendary also helps with historic themes, which white sometimes plays into :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I have been trying to cull the big images that people that been posting with smaller versions. I am usually a day late to the recent posts, so most won't notice.
I am just trying to make things more readable. So no one freak out if the images you post have changed (well maybe freak out if I changed it with a completely different one :p)

You're doing god's work Kirb, I hate that goldfish has these GIANT images.

Couple of quick hits from the full preview:
en_6EqZMp57UO.png

This card basically does everything. It's a shame it costs 4, because the individual pieces of this are all very good.

en_HJ0fxXi1d0.png

This aristocrats enabler seems very playable, even at higher power levels. If crats are a deck in your cube, I'd implore you to try this.

en_c2djndsxkk.png

It's a shame this card is so bad, the art is really neat!

en_UHqWDeXbp8.png

I quite like that they bumped take vengeance to instant speed. This card might be cube worthy!

Couple of quick hits from the full preview:
en_6EqZMp57UO.png

This card basically does everything. It's a shame it costs 4, because the individual pieces of this are all very good.

I have been looking for this effect. You want some noncreature spells that generate creatures in the UR-spells deck (at least the aggro version). These tokens even benefit from further spellslingery. Really neat. Could it have been bumped to {1}{R}{R} and been a sorcery?

PS: What's going on in that art? Are we igniting flatus? Might include just for the memes.

5, Man, should I put Ugin back in? I cut him a while back for being too backbreaking for a colorless card, but the power level of my cube has drifted upward as WotC has printed more interesting effects at a higher power level and my cube has also gotten more aggressive.
I was considering this too after you made this comment, but after playing with Ugin for a couple of months on Arena, I am "delighted" to say that they somehow managed to ruin my opinion of our little spirity dragon boy.

Man, isn't 2020 the worst?

There are typical three reasons if people experience those kinds of feelings.

1. Fatigue
Magic Arena has brought Magic to a whole other level when it comes to how many games the average player plays during a year/an expansion etc. This means players get 'tired' of the meta, the cards and the strategies more often than before. In this case the card Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

2. The card itself
Perhaps Ugin is actually the problem. Usually this is not the case because Magic is a 0-sum game but it might create more harm than good. This is usually not the case but it could be. Examples of this could be Strip Mine, Hymn to Tourach, Stasis. Sometimes it could also be the bombs but they are often seen as fun for one player and either fun or unfun for the other player. Examples are Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Cruel Ultimatum, Griselbrand. Ugin could belong in this category where it is fun for the player who runs the planeswalker and unfun to face it if we've faced it many times before.

3. Personal opinions
We are all a little bit the same but also a little bit different. Everyone is entitled to opinions and one can never be wrong when it comes to opinions.

I did not mean anything negative with this post. I just wanted to share <3