Sets [M21] M21 Previews!

I'd have to suspect Kaladesh would be most likely to construct an orrery. The people in the art don't look NOT... Kaladeshian? But I'm not sure there's anything conclusive here.

Definitely an orerry displaying the suns of Mirrodin.

Yeah 100 % not Mirrodin since the flavor text tells us that these visitors have no idea that this artifact draws inspiration from Mirrodin.

I thought about Kaladesh too. Tezzeret was on both planes but why would he design such a thing on Kaladesh when his mission was to confiscate all the most important inventions for Bolas?

Tolarian Academy could be. Would also suit the Teferi set. But then we have a time issue since Mirrodin are 1000 years after Tolarian Academy. Urza was born on the first day of year 1 and he founded Tolarian Academy in 3285. Urza creates the silver golem Karn in 3305 and only two years later the academy was in temporal ruins. Much later Karn creates the plane of Argentum. A fully artificial plane in his own honor with 0 livings creatures. Karn later transforms the Mirari into Memnarch and proclaims him as the protector of Argentum. In Karn’s absence Memnarch populates the plane with myrs and renames the plane Mirrodin. After a long journey Karn returns to his world but accidentally brings back Phyrexian Oil and starts the Phyrexian spread. No one knows about this. Not even Karn. The oil spreads from the original Mirrodin block to Scars of Mirrodin without anyone detecting it. This happens in 4306 and can be seen on cards like Mycosynth Lattice from the original Mirrodin block. Much later Wars breaks lose on Mirrodin and the Phyrexians win and renames the plane New Phyrexia. If Karn or Teferi would use inspiration from Mirrodin to design an artifact on the academy, we would have to deal with some serious time traveling stuff. Perhaps this would explain why the visitors are unaware of Mirrodin.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah 100 % not Mirrodin since the flavor text tells us that these visitors have no idea that this artifact draws inspiration from Mirrodin.

I thought about Kaladesh too. Tezzeret was on both planes but why would he design such a thing on Kaladesh when his mission was to confiscate all the most important inventions for Bolas?

Tolarian Academy could be. Would also suit the Teferi set. But then we have a time issue since Mirrodin are 1000 years after Tolarian Academy. But I guess time travel can happen. Urza was born on the first day of year 1 and he founded Tolarian Academy in 3285. Urza creates the golem Karn in 3305 who then later creates the plane of Argentum. A fully artificial plane in his own honor with 0 livings creatures. Karn later transforms the Mirari into Memnarch and proclaims him as the protector of Argentum. In Karn’s absence Memnarch populates the plane with myrs and renames the plane Mirrodin. After a long journey Karn returns to his world but accidentally brings back Phyrexian Oil and starts the Phyrexian spread. No one knows about this. Not even Karn. The oil spreads from the original Mirrodin block to Scars of Mirrodin without anyone detecting it. This happens in 4306 and can be seen on cards like Mycosynth Lattice from the original Mirrodin block. Much later Wars breaks lose on Mirrodin and the Phyrexians win and renames the plane New Phyrexia. If Karn or Teferi would use inspiration from Mirrodin to design an artifact on the academy, we would have to deal with some serious time traveling stuff. Perhaps this would explain why the visitors are unaware of Mirrodin.

When do Dominaria and Scars of Mirroding occur relative to each other? Because the Tolarian Academy was reinstated by the time Dominaria rolled around, e.g. Tolarian Scholar.

Found it: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Timeline

~4557 Koth encounters Elspeth and Venser on Urborg. He enlists their help in dealing with the phyrexian corruption taking place on Mirrodin. Ultimately, weeks (if not months) later, they succeed in freeing Karn at the cost of Venser's life.
~4559 Koth attempts to assassinate the ascendant Elesh Norn with an incredibly powerful spellbomb, forcing Elspeth to leave New Phyrexia for Theros. Koth escaped alive into the bowels of the furnace layers. He hopes that the Mirran resistance can one day overthrow the Phyrexians.
~4560 On Dominaria, the Gatewatch joins with the planeswalkers Jaya Ballard and Karn to fight Belzenlok's Cabal. Teferi regains his planeswalker's spark and formally joins, while Nissa leaves. Jhoira raises the Skyship Weatherlight and forms a new Weatherlight crew. Belzenlok is defeated with the help of the Blackblade. Nicol Bolas takes control of Liliana Vess.
~4562 Elspeth Tirel defeats Heliod and escapes the Underworld. & Lukka's invasion of Drannith on Ikoria fails.

I think there's enough time for Karn to have build a memorial in memory of Mirrodin on Dominaria.

Why ask a question and then answer your own question? :p

Marvel Avenger’s Endgame spoiler coming up
Everything you wrote is true. Venser not only died while rescuing Karn. He literally sacrificed himself by teleporting (Venser is a teleporter) his own heart (which is where Venser had his planeswalker spark) into Karn thus cleansing his heart, soul and mind of the Phyrexian contamination. Karn then gained control of his body again and liberated of the Phyrexian grip. Venser was a kind person but this sacrifice was Tony Stark level because he knew most worlds would have been doomed if Karn would have become the new Father of Machines ahead of New Phyrexia and future Phyrexian invasions.

I guess I made a mistake. I somehow assumed when PeterLaCara mentioned Tolarian Academy I thought he meant the original. My bad! There are several new academies and Onde you are correct that Karn would have had multiple opportunities to travel to one of them with his Mirrodin background and design an artifact. Or have someone else do it.

tidalwhale.jpg

Big Bob {5}{U}{U}
Creature- Whale
Creatures your opponents control get -1/-0.
{1}{U}, Discard Big Bob: Look at the top two cards of your library. Put one into your hand and the other into your graveyard.
7/7

So... Nagging Thoughts on a good creature? I could get behind this! :)

-1/-0 to opponent's creatures is a huge help against aggro, which reanimator struggles against, but doesn't outright destroy it like Massacre Wurm. The better cycling is really nice, and makes this a desirable finisher in control and decent in midrange. I like this card a lot.

consecratedveteran.jpg

Human Warrior
Discard a card: Tap ~. It gains indestructible until end of turn.

There's a lot to like here. Baseline it's a sweet aggro creature with a threat of activation effect, which I always like. Then there's the obvious discard synergies with madness and reanimator, and it's a human and a warrior to boot for incidental tribal. The question is if he replaces Adanto Vanguard or if I run them together.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
consecratedveteran.jpg

Human Warrior
Discard a card: Tap ~. It gains indestructible until end of turn.

There's a lot to like here. Baseline it's a sweet aggro creature with a threat of activation effect, which I always like. Then there's the obvious discard synergies with madness and reanimator, and it's a human and a warrior to boot for incidental tribal. The question is if he replaces Adanto Vanguard or if I run them together.

Veteran-Holyblade-M21-672.jpg

Man 2 mana 3/1s have gotten so good. Anyone remember when we were debating between Accorder paladin and Daring Skyjek?
We landed on skyjek because sometimes, occasionally, somehow he survives a turn
This is no Adanto vanguard but that's probably a good thing

Does anyone need more graveyard payoffs? Maybe graveyard enablers?
carriongrub.jpg

I am a little confused by the templating.
Is the first line of text an ongoing effect? If it checks as it enters, does it mill first?

Definitely a cool card. I have Mindwrack Demon in that "slot", though. The grub has a fine power level. The demon however signals delirium as a theme - making you pay attention to card types in your deck

I am a little confused by the templating.
Is the first line of text an ongoing effect? If it checks as it enters, does it mill first?

It's a static effect since you're never choosing anything and it doesn't trigger on the etb, it's just part of the text, would be my reading!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, the +X/+0 is always on, as long as the Grub is on the battlefield. It checks continually, so as soon as a creature with bigger power enters your graveyard, its power will increase, and when the creature with the biggest power leaves your graveyard for any reason, the Grub's power will decrease.

If you cast Grub with an empty graveyard, it will enter the battlefield as a 0/5, and its etb ability will trigger. When the ability resolves, you will mill yourself for 4, and if you mill one or more creature cards, the Grub will immediately get +X/+0, where X is the greatest power amongst the creature cards you just milled.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So does this mean that they are no longer doing */* notation? How does this differ from a */5?
Oh, I think I get it now... Because if you don't have a creature in your bin, what power does it have? Not a Number obviously.
I should probably delete this, but will post it anyway in case anyone else thought the same thing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So does this mean that they are no longer doing */* notation? How does this differ from a */5?
Oh, I think I get it now... Because if you don't have a creature in your bin, what power does it have? Not a Number obviously.
I should probably delete this, but will post it anyway in case anyone else thought the same thing.

Actually, it's just a templating choice. Both are still used. For a recent example, see:

If you have no red permanents out, Anax simply has 0 power. Carrion Grub could have used a */5 template, and the ability "Carrion Grub's power is equal to the greastest power among creature cards in your graveyard." If there are no creature cards in your graveyard, its power would simply be 0, compare e.g. to Tarmogoyf, which uses a similar "among X in your graveyard" wording. The difference is that under the actual wording they used, Carrion Crub has a power of 0 while in any other zone than the battlefield, whereas Anax's power-setting ability (and others that use the same wording) works in any zone.

dc5e8221-fc2d-4d90-80f3-729606648c54.jpg

Creature — Human Shaman
“Double Dragoner’s” power is equal to the number of instant and sorcery cards in your graveyard.
When “Double Dragoner” enters the battlefield, discard up to two cards, then draw that many cards.

Fuck ya. Much easier to cast than similar cards with the first effect and the second effect goes into quite a few interesting decks or simply fixes your hand a bit.

Note that the power is * instead of 0. What could this mean for our cubes? What could this mean for humanity?

A240BD1A-EB86-4DAA-B705-FACFF459E480.png

Very strong. I might still like it because it ends games pretty quick.
Reach is the defensive ability to help with the trigger.
Trample is the offensive ability to help with the trigger.
Vigilance connects them all.

EZ-0wB6U8AMXGEZ.png

Why is wizards doing this stuff?
There is no creativity in pushing these cards
What is the gain of this? Was standard never fun without these?

My biggest complain is that hilariously pushed cards totally ruin limited games. This one at least dies to removal, but id you can't kill a 6 toughness beater right away you'll lose