Sets [M21] M21 Previews!

Incinerator is a cool card with decisions to make whose power level is determined by the designer's choice in burn spells. It's a pretty cool addition to a lot of cubes, I think. The cost is a bit prohibitive, but it looks pretty powerful in the right deck and has impressive base stats.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
cultivate1.jpg
llanowarvisionary.jpg

These two next to eachother in the set feels odd

I don't think Cultivate is really worse. They both are 2-for-1s, but the Visionary dies easily, sometimes also to a 2-for-1. Cultivate gives you always your two land cards, which are basically indestructible in todays limited format. It also makes your future draws better. Yes, the card itself draws is always a land, but odds are you want that on turn 3 anyway. Oh, and not to mention that Cultivate fixes 2 (!) other colors potentially, the Visionary stays with green.

Well, I have to admit that the Elf is a much better topdeck later. But I wouldn't say he's explicitly better.

I'm personally not a fan of green cards interacting with one of green's main weaknesses. Reminds me a bit of Glademuse.

That said, I bring you a fight club:
Stormwings-Presence-M21-265.webp

Please help.

In all seriousness, this guy is an interesting and new(?) kind of effect:
Archdemons-Vessel-M21-265.webp

Not that we needed it, but another solid red removal spell:
Soul-Sear-M21-265.webp

Finally, a card I really like. The base stats are juuust right and the sacrifice brings a real payoff without any assistance. Between this and that 5/5 Devil, we might see BR sac get really real.
Dire-Fleet-Warmonger-M21-265.webp

Bless MTGGoldfish for these translations. So much cleaner. Waited to post these until the translation images hit.

Archdemon Vessel could have been standard with Lurrus, and Stormwing's Presence with Once Upon a Time... *insert random rant on testing team*

cultivate1.jpg
llanowarvisionary.jpg

These two next to eachother in the set feels odd

My suspicion is the color-fixing nature of Cultivate is why it has a higher rarity (as color fixing and ramp are two separate attributes of green). I have been toying with ramp in green not enabling splashes so that green doesn't turn into fix plus removal/bombs, and the Elf plays well with that stipulation (ramp that doesn't enable splash). Ensuring many high-impact cards are have 2 colored mana is the last knob to combine with green-only ramp.

My suspicion is the color-fixing nature of Cultivate is why it has a higher rarity (as color fixing and ramp are two separate attributes of green). I have been toying with ramp in green not enabling splashes so that green doesn't turn into fix plus removal/bombs, and the Elf plays well with that stipulation (ramp that doesn't enable splash). Ensuring many high-impact cards are have 2 colored mana is the last knob to combine with green-only ramp.

I think more than a difference in power level, the difference in rarity is because Cultivate is for constructed (not fragile to removal and board sweeps) and Llanowar Visionary for limited (elves, blink, ramp, draw matters).

Does anyone remember when rarity did not have a strong correlation with power level? Sure, it's an interesting tool in limited, but the change felt scummy to me for years.

Nice to see a quick Fabled Passage reprint. Anything that makes Magic cheaper is welcome.

obsessivestitcher.jpg

This is just about the most riptide-y card ever printed baring Wand of Vertebrae type trinkets. It's a reanimation spell and enabler bundled up in the same card! It's not even particularly fragile, so it can be a relevant blocker. I also like how this card slots right into cycling/discard style decks. I'm probably going to test Crazy Grandma here.

It's too bad the activated reanimation ability requires tapping...It'd be cool if you could discard and reanimate on T4 or have it as a late-game 3UUBB zombify. Reanimating at instant speed is good tho.

Not sure this is quite good enough for me, but I do run Deal Broker.

I was running Pawn of Ulamog back in the day as a way of doubling up on dies triggers. It was a little too win more, but threatening a 5 power flier might be a better angle
Also more Mayhem Devil synergy!
gadrakthecrownscourge.jpg

I'm very excited for this one as its "dense" in the way we've been talking about. slots into multiple red archetypes: artifacts, aristrocrats, ferocious, and dragons if you're cheeky enough.

I'm excited about this one for similar reasons:

idolofendurance.jpg

artifact/weenie reanimation support, plus blink decks can reset it to keep buying back the same creatures.

Is it just me or is this set oddly complex for a core set?

Spoiler season focuses on rares/mythics and those can be pretty complex in core sets.

obsessivestitcher.jpg

This is just about the most riptide-y card ever printed baring Wand of Vertebrae type trinkets. It's a reanimation spell and enabler bundled up in the same card! It's not even particularly fragile, so it can be a relevant blocker. I also like how this card slots right into cycling/discard style decks. I'm probably going to test Crazy Grandma here.

I think this is a posterchild of "do we like cards that combo with themselves?" Finding out you can combo Merfolk Looter with Zombify is an epiphany. Having the combo on the same card feels cheesy, it becomes good stuff + generic graveyard synergy.

I think this is a posterchild of "do we like cards that combo with themselves?" Finding out you can combo Merfolk Looter with Zombify is an epiphany. Having the combo on the same card feels cheesy, it becomes good stuff + generic graveyard synergy.

I think the answer is yes, we do like cards that can enable themselves.

One of the issues we often have when building riptide cubes is getting micro archetype decks to function without having to go completely overboard on space usage power-band broadness. Although one could easily make a deck like Zombie Tribal a thing by just jamming every half-decent zombie and zombie lord into the cube, there would simply not be much room for anything else in that section. Instead, a good designer would look for cards which can go into as many decks as possible while still maintaining the desired power level. For example, if a designer wants to enable a Zombie deck and an Aristocrats deck, then Lazotep Reaver is a strong inclusion. While the card's power level isn't off the charts, it makes two bodies of the relevant type which can also be sacrificed for value. This leads to an important conclusion: cards which can wear multiple hats are usually good additions.

Take a card like Cryptbreaker. The card does so many things! It's enables discard and graveyard strategies, it serves as an army in a can, and it works as a Zombies payoff. But, the card is effectively self-enabling. In theory, your entire game could be focused on just playing crypt breaker, making tons of tokens, and then burying the opponent in card advantage. It takes a little while to get going, but it's not like turning cards into Ashcoat Bears is a big investment. This play pattern doesn't make the Cryptbreaker cheesy or boring, if anything it makes the card more playable: it gives you a gameplan even if the rest of a given draw is sub-par. Our stitcher friend is very much akin to Cryptbreaker. She does help to enable herself, but a variety of different decks want her. My first thought when I saw her was "wow, this is a great enabler for Blue-Black Drakes!"

Seemingly the biggest strike people seem to have against Obsessive Stitcher is the fact that she can act as both enablers for the reanimation deck. Reanimator is an A+B+C deck. A player needs a big creature, a way to get that creature into the graveyard, and a way to cheat it back out. Reanimator decks don't just win because they have Cephalid Looter into Dread Return. They need a third piece: the creature. One of the reasons why big cycling creatures like Titanoth Rex or our new Whale friend from M21 are worth playing in cube is because they cut out the need for a third piece in reanimator. This card effectively represents the same paradigm, it's just now our graveyard dump piece is attached to the reanimation spell as opposed to the reanimation target.

Obsessive Stitcher is pretty great and a welcome addition to any riptide cube with a reasonable desire for a discard outlet or reanimation effects.

I think Obsessive Stitcher is a fine card to integrate themes in a tidy package, but the turn-off to me (aside from power level for my environment) is how in your face it is. Cryptbreaker opens up lines of play and causes you to re-evaluate how to maximize its impact, this clearly points out what should be done with it leaving very little room for interpretation. It feels more rewarding as a player when you can exploit subtleties in synergy and feel smart by identifying and taking advantage of it through your draft and gameplay choices, at least it does for me. It's less interesting when things are pointed out explicitly.

Though I suppose that's just the difference between rare complexities and being in an expansion set versus a Core set. I'm just not the biggest fan of it.