One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think Nissa, Vastwood Seer and Outpost Siege are what I'd be eyeing, as they're both generically strong cards that get better when slotted into specific archetypes. Repeal, Seal of Fire, and Diabolic Edict are all fine removal spells that go into any deck, but aren't exciting enough to warrant a first pick.

I agree, and I think I would pick the Nissa. I expect the Vorapede to be picked up because of the raw power, but if it wheels it's party time!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Well, removal is probably the biggest choke point in my cube and with the low curve seal of fire kills a lot of stuff so its probably making any deck that reliably makes red mana. None of the other cards are deck centerpieces, so unless I was really angling towards something I'd take it.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, probably going with a fetchland here - none of the spells in the pack jump out as all-stars or build-arounds. Might also be tempted by the Preordain, which would always make the cut in any blue deck.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Double red is a pretty strong red commitment. I agree that the trio of fetchlands are stronger than the other cards in that pack.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Double red is a pretty strong red commitment. I agree that the trio of fetchlands are stronger than the other cards in that pack.

It is, but in my experience people shy away from red a bit, so I'm less afraid of committing to a strong red card than to, say, a strong blue or black card.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Bitterblossom: high power, difficult to interact with permanent.

Heres one for you:

This one ends up being a sequencing puzzle. You have the start of a killer esper deck; not sure whats the optimal approach to bringing it all together.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
same, Mulldrifter

seems like in any cube that includes Mulldrifter - high or low power - he's usually not far from being a p1p1! amazing that it was a common in Lorwyn

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The wrinkle is that the ceiling on mulldrifter is much lower than several of the other cards in the pack. Flicker gives you combo potential--the undisputed strongest deck in the cube--and either combos or goes in a deck featuring six of the other cards in the pack. Salvagers also has a higher ceiling and four cards that could wheel. Triad is two colors, but also has a higher ceiling than mulldrifter, as well as several potential targets in the pack.

There is also trinket mage, which has three targets, and combos well with the blink cards. Finally, you have bonesplitter, which is also a fine pick, and probably the most flexible.

So, for first picks, what do you value?

1. consistancy
2. color simplicity
3. power ceiling
4. raw power

I think this probably ends up being a choice between ghostly flicker and mulldrifter, but I could also see someone going bonesplitter or auriok salvagers. Triad of fates has a non 0 chance of wheeling because its 2 color, and it ultimately might be better going with a B/W midrange deck, and letting the other drafters fight over the blue cards. That way you get two very strong cards out of the pack.

I don't think you first pick trinket mage here though, as the bonesplitter won't wheel, and its pretty iffy that the map will wheel.

There's nothing really close in power level to Mulldrifter, which has the added bonus of keeping you the most open.

Ghostly Flicker might have a higher upside (and I'm not convinced it does) but it has a much lower floor. At this point I want to see what's coming from the right and adjust to that rather than plant a flagpole and go all in from p1p1.

I don't think you can pick Trinket Mage on the basis that either Map or Bonesplitter will wheel, because those two cards don't really go in the same deck, which leaves you in the position of having to guess which of the two, if any, will come back during your next seven picks. That said, Trinket Mage would be reasonable if it wasn't in the same pack as Mulldrifter I think, since it looks like this cube has a 1cc artifact theme so you're likely to get at least something to pair with it.

Finally I wouldn't worry too much about what will wheel, as depending on what whoever is to your right is doing you may not even end up playing your first pick so planning that far ahead probably isn't helpful. That's another reason in favour of Mulldrifter as it's so splashable it'll end up in the final deck maybe 90+% of the time, and what it ends up being paired with out of this pack isn't that important.

Bonesplitta!
Although as bad as I am at aggro I really ought to go with the 'Drifter...
Here's another pack:

I really need to update CT more often... I'm 99% sure I cut the Elves. Anyway my first pick from this would likely be either Bolt, Entomb, or Monolith.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Stupid Basalt Monolith, thinks its God's gift to women. . .

I'm taking lightning bolt and just riding the lowest curve I can make.