One Pack One Pick (p1p1 thread)

I like taking Splinter Twin, Pestermite and Conscripts are in the cube and it's a reasonable card on other ETB creatures.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Vineclad Dryad has been a huge contributor in some of my 3-0 decks in the past, but I'm thinking she's not as good in your list as in mine.

I almost always pick Crater Hellion, but finks is such a dumb card, I guess I take that instead. Not happy about it.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I would go bow because there has to be some text on that card that will win me a game. The correct pick, however, is probably blood artist: powerful, cheap, and spashable.

Here is one that should take everyone out of their comfort zone

I think I'd take one of the two red cards. I'd probably take Tragic Slip over Consuming Vapors most of the time.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I agree - I always thought Consuming Vapors reads a lot better than it performs. If you support any amount of tokens in your cube, the likelihood of Vapors hitting something relevant goes down a good chunk. I also prefer Tragic Slip for its ability to kill pretty much anything you point it at, with a tiny bit of setup.

Hard to argue with Goblin Bombardment here, thought I'd be tempted by the Young Pyromancer too.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Some decks really struggle against vapors, its a unique answer to certain threats, and against the rest its like a pseudo wrath in conjunction with cards like archaeomancer etc. Remember, this is slower format, which makes vapors much stronger.

I think utopia sprawl would be my pick here, and try to go into some sort of ramp or big mana control deck, or maybe even combo. Bombardment is a very strong card, but I feel its more narrow in its applicatons compared to sprawl, and the ceiling is lower.

I don't know though, its a tough pick. All three of those cards are ridiculous in the deck they go into.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Spikeshot Elder, wheel Piston Sledge. The blanket card in this booster pack is Temple of Plenty, and a very reasonable pick. Both Wingsteed Rider and Auriok Salvagers merit consideration as well, assuming their respective themes are well supported in the cube.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Spikeshot has been a respectable first pick, and makes sense given the speculative possibility of wheeling the sledge.

Both rider and salvagers are well supported.

I would probably not first pick last breath: there are just much stronger threats in the pack, as well as stronger answers you could get later.

I would go with petravark personally.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ah, that's right, you run bouncelands. Yeah, I once threatened to drop a t3 Rishadan Cutpurse with my pirate tribal deck after my opp played a t2 Azorius Chancery. I showed him the Cutpurse with an evil smile, then proceded to play a normal game of Magic. I was a bit bummed that he went after me mercilessly (it was a multiplayer game) because I could have wrecked him on t2. Gee, thanks, I'll try to be as considerate next time this situation happens again.

I like the Temple and Tymaret from that pack. Honorable mention goes to Piston Sledge.

Here's another one for your consideration:

Note that Thran Dynamo is narrower than it looks because my Cube more or less tops out at 6. Goes nicely with Wildfire though...
My pick would probably be either Molten-Tail Masticore, an ABU dual, or Chasm Skulker. Both of those creatures have some pretty strong build-around options. If I'm YOLOing the pick is Wildfire because I love (but also suck at) red control.