Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

Now do they not draft aggro because they don't like it or because they're convinced it's not good?
Does it "Cheapen me out of my durdely decks?"
Is mono red boring?

Just so I don't keep taking up pages of space in this thread. I put my response in a spoiler.

Multi-player format, although we do some 1v1 because I have a player that prefers that so we try to compromise.

Guys in my group are mostly timmy types. I'm a johnny. We like our big effects and broken synergies. I understand the value of representing aggressive decks, but I absolutely hate drafting and playing them. I went all in once and did really well that night. But guys were a bit butt hurt because it didn't let them enable all their slow durdly nonsense.

Now, I can try and make them more competitive players. But that is likely going to be futile. It's simply a better solution to allow for the durdle and try to balance around a midrange meta. It's hard though. Aggro control is the new spin I'm trying to put on it. Probably more for me than my players, but if I can find a way to draft an aggressive deck that still has a lot of play to it (and engines for late game - because in multi-player these are required no way around it), then I will enjoy drafting them and I may be able to sway some guys into that style of deck.

I've been slowly taking away midrange durdle cards and boring power stuff. There were complaints at first, but I think they appreciate the more synergistic list that has evolved from all this. I feel like I'm making progress and that's cool.

View attachment 401

Nissa's Revelation

Scry 5, then reveal the top card of your library. If it is a creature card, draw cards equal to its power and gain life equal to its toughness.

--

Maybe it's cute, but I like it. Big Green card draw+filter? Sounds like fun to me! Green rarely is short on mana over here, and this is just the sort of dig spell Green wants to find closers in a midrange stompy deck. I think I'm sold.

It's kind of cool but 7 mana is so much.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 401

Nissa's Revelation

Scry 5, then reveal the top card of your library. If it is a creature card, draw cards equal to its power and gain life equal to its toughness.

--

Maybe it's cute, but I like it. Big Green card draw+filter? Sounds like fun to me! Green rarely is short on mana over here, and this is just the sort of dig spell Green wants to find closers in a midrange stompy deck. I think I'm sold.

Is this a Sorcery?

Either way, card for card it's a less flexible, more efficient (potentially) Sphinxes' Rev. I think we've all seen that tagging life gain to mass card draw can do wonders. The problem of course is that this requires creature density, if only there were some way we could manipulate the top of our library to have a big creature on top.

Is this a Sorcery?

Either way, card for card it's a less flexible, more efficient (potentially) Sphinxes' Rev. I think we've all seen that tagging life gain to mass card draw can do wonders. The problem of course is that this requires creature density, if only there were some way we could manipulate the top of our library to have a big creature on top.

It is a sorcery. I can't speak for all environs obviously, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why a green draw spell wanting creature density actually poses any kind of challenge. Green here is creaturesburg, and I know most Riptide cubes encourage 12~15 creature builds, anyway. With Scry 5, I think it can get there just fine in most cubes, and if it whiffs, you were going to lose anyway, or you were running a bad control deck with a creature-needy card draw spell and a lack of creatures to hit. It can even break stalemates by giving some smooth card advantage to Simic. EOT Brainstorm, stack a creature, next turn Nissa's Revelation, flip a fatty, draw a million and break the stalemate next turn. It's a corner case but I think it speaks to the potential of this card in the right deck.

635713042500764787.png

This looks exciting! I think enchantress is looking cooler everyday!

EDIT: I need to stop posting and making myself look a fool. Sorry didn't realize someone had posted this already :\

Nissa's Revelation is probably not as good as it seems to be to me, but I'm probably going to try it anyway. Scry is a phenomenal mechanic, and Scry 5 + a 4-power creature (not unreasonable in Green) can really dig deep in your deck for what you need. Taking a turn off to do it feels pretty fair given what a colossal advantage this could give during a stalled board, so the Sorcery speed doesn't bother me much, either. Still, it probably isn't worth my excitement. Alas! Origins just looks so good so far for my Cube, I'm probably on the hype train at this point.

I like Whirler Rogue. Unblockable is a powerful effect. And you can tap ANY artifact. So late game mana rocks (or artifact lands if you run those) can power through an attacker that would otherwise be useless. Wow.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is anyone else wondering how they are going to top Origins next fall? I fail to see how Return to Zendikar can be as awesome as this set.

I fail to see how Return to Zendikar can be as awesome as this set.

Ye of little faith!
Mythic rundown for people who care about arbitrary rare-tracking for no real reason:
starfieldofnyx.jpg
archangeloftithes.jpg

daysundoing.jpg
discipleofthering.jpg

demonicpact.jpg
titanoferebos.jpg

pyromancersgoggles.jpg
avariciousdragon.jpg

thegreataurora.jpg
woodlandbellower.jpg

The Planeswalker, noncreature, creature balance is real. All the noncreatures are pretty niche/build-around but all of the creatures just seem like goodstuff to varying degrees.

Also Nissa's Revelation flavor text seems to indicate the spell is illustrating the moment Nissa released Emrakul in a fit of madness (?) Why the hell would you get huge bonuses for that? Getting conscripted?

Edit:
Wait I guess we get more than 15 mythics:
alhammarretsarchive.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Is anyone else wondering how they are going to top Origins next fall? I fail to see how Return to Zendikar can be as awesome as this set.

They had their game face on for this one. Top shelf shit all round, might be better (for me) then Theros and I fucking LOVED Theros.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think part of it is that they are being more ambitious with their tier 2 designs. Like in the past, you might get a card that is either too specific to be of much use or just a weaker version of something else. Gimick cards and limited bombs, so to speak. Now you are having better defined themes and actually getting cards that support them and printing more cards that have an actual niche other then being a worse version of the premier creature/spell in that spot. Sure, you still get a bunch of crap intro-pack rares that fit that category, but there is less of that filler kind of filler these days and in this set in particular.