Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

Never liked him because if he were top decked on an empty board, it's basically a really expensive kill spell if you don't have 6 in the grave. Too restrictive for me.

Mage-Ring-Responder.jpg

So my first instinct is to write this guy off, but right now my artifact fatties are basically Scuttling Doom Engine, Soul of New Phyrexia, BattleBalls, Platinum Emperion, GG Titan, and I would strongly welcome another that isn't Bullshit Engine. This guy comes down as a 7/7, able to block a very impressive amount of things since most creatures get as big as 6/6 before mana costs get enormous. He gets to attack once, killing their best creature and probably killing their smallest too. After that, there is Blue Tezz to abuse him but for the most part, he doesn't do a lot until the game grinds hard, but if it does, and I've seen control decks do it, you basically just win. The artifact deck can probably get him out around T4-5 without power and have him do some very real damage. He also plays nicely with basically every method of cheating into play. But somehow I still feel like the untap cost might kill him. Maybe I'll test him but I'd like to hear other opinions since I'm having trouble gauging this one.

Responder is dreadful

Even if he had trample he'd be dreadful

He needs trample+haste at least, and even then, 7 is a lot

I don't bother to try to put a bunch of artifatties in my cube cuz they mostly aren't good, no point clogging the cube with bad cards just so a section has X amount of Y in it.

Yeah, fair enough. I just wanted him to be useful. I like that he's a throwback to some iconic (and terrible) cards. He gets flavor points but that's about it.

The vampire knight is absolutely the sort of card other people on this forum would get excited about and I would say something incredibly dry regarding and get myself into trouble.

What a waste of a cool slot and flavor theme. What a mess!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The vampire knight is absolutely the sort of card other people on this forum would get excited about and I would say something incredibly dry regarding and get myself into trouble.

What a waste of a cool slot and flavor theme. What a mess!

I dig it. It's not terribly original or interesting, but it does incentivize people to pick up your enchantment theme. The power level is also definitely up there. I won't play it anyway, because Orzhov doesn't exist in my cube.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Jeez
skysnarespider.jpg

This guy is a house!
I know we're probably at the point where it doesn't matter how good the base body of a 6 drop is if it just dies to removal, but I'd pay attention here.
Green has this secret (depending on your group) weakness where fliers are this huge problem, but not enough of a problem that anyone wants to play like, silklash spider.
I've slotted Arbor Colossus in to that end, but he's really hard to cast sometimes. We've learned from sun titan how annoying a 6/6 vigilance can be, so this is quite the uncommon.

Vigilance is definitely underrated. Too bad it isn't a rare with trample and regeneration (but that's asking too much probably).

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Ah, crap, for some reason my mind read it as "Vigilance, Reach, Flash", and I was all over that as the next incarnation of Cloudthresher. I'm sure this will be a house in limited, but I'm not sure an essentially french vanilla six drop cuts the mustard in most of our cubes.

I've actually considered playing Stingerfling Spider several times, but never quite pulled the trigger.

Never liked him because if he were top decked on an empty board, it's basically a really expensive kill spell if you don't have 6 in the grave. Too restrictive for me.

I love shadowborn demon. He's a control card, so if you are in top deck mode with no board presence you deserve to lose. I'm very happy with cards that don't auto bail people out from that situation.

The demon rewards you for running creature based control strategies. It has a ton of play to it but isn't oppressive. This is a NWO home run for me.

Reactions: CML

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
That Vampire Knight's power level is fine, but its hard to justify such a generic effect on a multicolor card.

Foundry of the Consuls is a decent enough card I guess, but is 2 1/1s better then a 3/4? Gargoyle Castle isn't exactly flying out of my Land Binder.

Would you play a 6 mana 3/4 flyer with an additional cost of sacrificing a land? Good deal 17 years ago.

That's not the right way to look at it though. It's a land that gives you mana (albeit colorless) which can later become a 3/4 flying creature. I still don't think that is worth even a slot in most utility drafts simply because it's pretty boring and the 5 man lands do this way better. But it isn't a 6 mana 3/4 flyer that requires you to sac a land. That's just not fairly representing it.

It literally is a 6 mana 3/4 flyer because you tap 5, then tap to sac the castle. That's the supposed "upside" when looking at the card. Otherwise, it's just a colorless land with no other relevant abilities that won't provide you with much help at all. There's no other way to represent it I feel. Maybe it makes sense in a super heavy creatureless control deck, but those aren't too common. If it did something else then it would be alright, but otherwise, I'm never touching it except to make a colorless Commander deck.

It's pretty bad no matter how you look at it. Sorry Eric :(

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm with ahadabans. You're not playing a mediocre 6-drop, you're playing a land that only taps for colorless, but can be upgraded into a creature with relevant stats and evasion in the late game. Mind you, only producing colorless mana is a real cost for a land, but calling it a 6 mana 3/4 flyer is indeed not fairly representing it.

it's been in my ULD for like six months and nobody's ever picked it though

i don't have an image but there's some commons spoiled and one of them is 2U mana leak with spell mastery: scry 2

and it's even at common! god bless this format

I see what you guys are saying, but there's just not enough upside there for me to ever play with it. Tapping out for a 3/4 flyer and going down a land is just so sad.