Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

You can make the flyer at instant speed. I would happily play it if my deck wanted 18 (or more!) lands and could handle drawing a colorless land, and at least it is an untapped land. Turning lands into action is really powerful.

That said there are plenty of better spell-like lands.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
yeah, you're not ever tapping out, it should really be done on end step or something. and yes i thought it would shine in an otherwise creatureless control build. little did i know that we were embarking upon the era of tap-out, protect-the-queen, Baneslayer Angel-based control decks in 2009 standard

but yeah, as everyone has said, they've made much better colorless utility lands since!

I don't think it even needs to be creature-light/creatureless control. Just any deck that wants to play a lot of lands, can afford a colorless land, and wants ways to mitigate flood.

CML

Contributor
It literally is a 6 mana 3/4 flyer because you tap 5, then tap to sac the castle. That's the supposed "upside" when looking at the card. Otherwise, it's just a colorless land with no other relevant abilities that won't provide you with much help at all. There's no other way to represent it I feel. Maybe it makes sense in a super heavy creatureless control deck, but those aren't too common. If it did something else then it would be alright, but otherwise, I'm never touching it except to make a colorless Commander deck.

It's pretty bad no matter how you look at it. Sorry Eric :(

absurd! it's a strong card that would be a staple in current standard. it just suffered from being in the same format as garbage like Bloodbraid and JTMS

edit: i've also never played with it and i dont think anyone has in cube. colorless lands have a higher drawback in cube though because the manabases are so makeshift compared to mono dual constructed

Yeah, I see the upside to it. Spell on a land, I get it. I guess I just don't like the card very much. I could see the benefits in Standard for controlly decks, but it seems pretty janky in a Cube context, which is what I meant by tapping out for it earlier.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
edit: i've also never played with it and i dont think anyone has in cube. colorless lands have a higher drawback in cube though because the manabases are so makeshift compared to mono dual constructed

yeah, this hits the nail on the head. two-colour cube decks with good fixing can afford to play one, maybe two colourless lands at most. but in three-colour decks, i'm loathe to play even a single colourless land, unless i have 10+ pieces of fixing. the downside of being colour screwed early game far outweighs the potential benefit of the spell-land's effect. in a three-colour control list, i sometimes run 18 lands so i can play a Tectonic Edge or somesuch, but otherwise it's really hard to justify squeezing in a sweet utility land knowing it could hurt more than it could help.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
consulslieutenant.jpg

Consul's Lieutennant WW
First Strike
Renown 1
When ~ attacks, if it's renowed other attacking creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn
2/1

Aoret

Developer
It's definitely good. I kinda wish it were less good and costed at 1W instead. I'm starting to really, really dislike CC two drops.

(full disclosure: I just got rocked on a mull to six where my only black source got wastelanded, so I might just be tilted. I won the match, but it was a shitty game 1...)

I like double-CC spells because they encourage making a colour a deck's "home base" and decrease the 4-5 colour goodstuff deck appearances over here somewhat. Every time I ratchet up the double-CC options, I see less third-colour splashes, which is something I like for my environment. That said, I like multicolour environs, so I understand limiting double-CC spells. I think the good Lieutenant here might make the cut for me; first strike is always really nice and something I love about white, and I like a good anthem on a stick, too.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Re: splashing all over the place: Some of my payers love it - they pick up all the lands play 5-color control decks where they forgot to draft win conditions but have a blast anyway. Others (particularly one guy, my buddy that lives with me and takes part in every cube draft we do) hates that you can just splash stuff totally freely without getting really punished. I play four colors almost every time... so I see his point. Maybe a few more CC spells would work well. Anafenza, kin-tree spirit looks good.

Re: splashing all over the place: Some of my payers love it - they pick up all the lands play 5-color control decks where they forgot to draft win conditions but have a blast anyway. Others (particularly one guy, my buddy that lives with me and takes part in every cube draft we do) hates that you can just splash stuff totally freely without getting really punished. I play four colors almost every time... so I see his point. Maybe a few more CC spells would work well. Anafenza, kin-tree spirit looks good.

I like running 4c control sometimes as much as the next person, don't get me wrong! But those double-CC 2-drops reward mono/dual-coloured decks by giving them some early-game incentive and they make fixing more valuable, too. I think rainbow goodstuff doesn't have much cause to complain about 1-2 coloured strats getting a bit more meat, and you can usually run double-CC spells of two colours fine with a few duals. Making 1-2 coloured strats generally stronger early than rainbow goodstuff helps to keep formats healthier and less durdly imho. But, that's just my opinion! I dig rainbow-friendly formats when it's deliberate.

I feel like double CC is a bit hamhanden, maybe, but still I really like the idea of making for more incentive to stay focused. Land destruction, which I've heard recommended sometimes, is super boring because it sort of just makes games less games, but I think this might be more suited for its own thread.

I feel like double CC is a bit hamhanden, maybe, but still I really like the idea of making for more incentive to stay focused. Land destruction, which I've heard recommended sometimes, is super boring because it sort of just makes games less games, but I think this might be more suited for its own thread.

Do you mean hamfisted? I don't see how adding a few good cards that require you to draft more critically than sucking up all the fixing to play them effectively is any more hamfisted than doubling up on Bloodghasts and Bloodsoaked Champions. It adds depth to the draft and rewards coloir commitment without ruining rainbow goodstuff in any way other than depriving them of 4-5 easy-to-cast double-CCs at 2 per colour. That's hardly much of a punishment.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Assorted hits from the full spoiler:

en_4GBwnQLqbp.png

This seems viable for people looking for more cheap white removal. It's no Journey to Nowhere, but it kills things deader than Oust does, and hits bigger targets than Sunlance. Early game, you're more likely to be able to afford to take two or three damage from whatever it is you're trying to kill, while late game you should hopefully have your graveyard stocked enough to flash this out.

en_SLNOGDwe9E.png

As safra alluded to earlier, this is a playable Mana Leak variant, and could be great for standard. In cube, I think I still like running 2x Condescend more, but at least there are options.

en_smSVj9Ttq1.png

A less swingy Madcap Skills? Seeing as how difficult it's been to flip a transformed Mayor of Avabruck back to his human side here, the drawback is probably less severe than it reads.

en_z40iV3I8aq.png

Possible swap for Commune with the Gods?

en_GN3OpsLwjq.png

If you were looking for a cheaper, harder-to-kill Sublime Archangel that can't attack, this might fit the bill. It allows wide aggro strategies to switch up their game plan on the fly and go tall with one large, evasive threat.

I'm tempted by Dismissal because 2x Condescend has seemed a bit strong over here. Or maybe I'll bump Complicate... Not sure yet, though. So many goodies - I've got a few dozen I'm considering for my Cube - but I'm extremely disappointed we didn't get more playable blue creatures. I was really hoping for a good Prowess 2-drop, or perhaps even a tasty 1-drop, though I knew that was probably too ambitious. Alas, alas... Good stuff overall. Once I've had a bit to chew on it, I'm sure I'll be flooding the forum with wild ideas.

edited, scatterbrained this morning.