Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
en_194FjQ6eCo.png

Is this good?

en_ENLUvh2tMR.png

huh, this guy doesn't usually have 2 toughness. I don't think that's the chincher, but its cool!

So with all the spoilers up now, I have snap-preordered a few things to test:
White
Kytheon/Gideon—Nuff said bruh
Relic Hunter—Just finished adding a crapton of equips to the cube, so he seems at least worth a test run

Blue
Jace—I mostly just want a looter that isn't Merfolk Looter, but I guess his walker side is also cool

Black
Liliana—It's like Vampire Nighthawk traded his wings for a spark
Graveblade Marauder—My wife loves 1/4 dudes in Black that have weird synergies, which is probably why we work as a couple, and I like the tension/harmony between deathtouch and the life drain trigger
Demonic Pact—Too. Cute. Like Worldknit cute, without wrecking the draft
Languish—I like pseudo-wraths that look like Wildfire if you squint
Priest of the Blood Rite—Ufufu get into my Mimic Vat you naughty boy

Red
Abbot of Kher Keep—I like that he's good on and off curve, and I like Abbots.
Molten Vortex—I actually ran the old RRR version of this for a while cuz I love Loam, and this one looks better for Cube in every way
Chandra's Mom (and Dad)—They make tokens, they make artifacts, they sac artifacts, overall you might say they've got it going on

Green
Evolutionary Leap—seems super fun in the garbage GB Rock decks I always end up drafting, and will probably perform well in lots of other stuff too
The Great Aurora—will probably be terrible but I don't care, I want to cast it once

Aoret

Developer
Yes! Gather the Pack looks sweet! They've printed plenty of these recently, but most of the them have just looked too weak to me. I could be wrong - people here seem to be happily playing Mulch and Commune with the Gods.

E: I do run Grisly Salvage, though not very happily.

Very relevant to my interests since I just cast a glimpse the unthinkable with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant in play and it felt amazing. I currently don't run any of the green "grab a card and bin a bunch of cards" variants and probably should. There are a million different value engines in my cube that would really appreciate the effect and I currently find green to be incredibly dull if I don't open sidisi, birthing pod or exploration.

Uh oh, I'm off topic again, call the cops!

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Very relevant to my interests since I just cast a glimpse the unthinkable with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant in play and it felt amazing. I currently don't run any of the green "grab a card and bin a bunch of cards" variants and probably should. There are a million different value engines in my cube that would really appreciate the effect and I currently find green to be incredibly dull if I don't open sidisi, birthing pod or exploration.

Uh oh, I'm off topic again, call the cops!

Hmm, you know Sidisi gives you only 1 guy per mill, right? If Glimpse hits multiple guys you still only get one zombie.
That said, Glimpse looks like a really cool card to have in cube. Do you ever see mill decks that mill their opponents out and it's unfun? That's the only danger - the only way to interact with will is to race.

Aoret

Developer
Uh oh. I cheated! (it definitely felt wrong putting out that many zombies... now I know why!)

As for Glimpse, it's actually new at getting a shot in the cube, so I'll keep you posted on it James. The only ways I can think of to actually mill someone out with it would be Snapcaster or Dualcaster Mage. If somebody can put all three in a deck and actually draw them and get the mana, I don't think I mind losing to "mill 30".

Racing against Glimpse + Snapcaster "mill 20" in a durdly control shell I think is probably fine since I suspect it's a shittier wincon than just playing Aetherling and killing someone.

I think in 90% of cases it'll just be a sweet value card (I hit two bloodsoaked champions and a vengevine with it! mise!).

SWORD OF THE ANIMIST IS THE STONEFORGE OF ORIGINS. SLEEPER HIT TRIGGERS LANDFALL AND SHIT. BUY NOW.

-Some amateur scg writer in a few months.

CML

Contributor
nissa, vastwood seer
chandra, fire of kaladesh
liliana, heretical healer
jace, vryn’s prodigy
kytheon, hero of akros
erebos’ titan
graveblade marauder
woodland bellower
magmatic insight
gilt-leaf winnower
abbot of keral keep
disciple of the ring
scab-clan berserker
herald of the pantheon
molten vortex
despoiler of souls
harbinger of the tides
priest of the blood rite
archangel of tithes
evolutionary leap
vryn wingmare
day’s undoing
demonic pact
pia and kiran nalaar
starfield of nyx
avaricious dragon
hangarback walker
managorger hydra
languish

did i miss anything?

Well, I do have Loam in my cube, but I just like the card otherwise. Paying {R} to turn 40% of your deck into Shocks is interesting. Seems great with Crucible, too.

Clarification Edit: I do not recommend 5 Molten Vortices. I recommend 1 Molten Vortex with 5x intensity.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
What are you guys thinking of running for your artifact packages?

Pia and Kiran fit naturally into the pincher cube, which at 360 runs a 30 card artifact section, 5 splicers spread over the cube, and 11 colored artifacts. So 45-47 artifacts depending on whether we want to count a ramp target like maul splicer, and makes the cube 12.5-13% artifacts.

Not sure what the minimum amount would be, but thats at least a baseline number you can use.

i run crypto and illest kor, but thought courier has the same problem as merlooter: i think he is boring.

Also...
Thinking of adding:
635707379324991347.png

to my cube and squadroning it.
What numbers would y'all suggest?
1 copy (in the entire cube) gets a playset? 2 copies get 3 of each? 3 copies get 2 of each?