Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

Flying men is an awful card.

Sure, when you do have two together it's incredibly good! Essentially UU for 2 1/1 fliers (Cuz one replaces itself). But that requires you to have two together, when you only have one they are awful.

My additions from Origins -

Guaranteed

Kytheon, Hero of Akros//Gideon, Battle-Forged - Bye Elite Vanguard very easy include.

Harbinger of the Tides - I'm confident he wants to be in most of the blue decks in my cube. Will replace Spell Pierce.

Priest of the Blood Rite - Black 5 drops are lacking overall. Currently the best one is Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath. Whilst he has been good, this new guy has tonnes of synergy with cards in my cube already. Reveillark, Imperial Recruiter etc. Will replace Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath.

Testing

Nissa, Vastwood Seer//Nissa, Sage Animist - A restrictive Civic Wayfinder, but with the huge upside of being awesome late game when she is a 3 Mana walker. It's likely the down side of her only being mediocre on turn 3-6 (Not including Ramp affects) make he not worth putting into the cube, but time will tell. Will replace Krosan Tusker.

Pia and Kiran Nalaar - I have small Red artifact theme in my cube to help diversify red. This card is probably good enough as a Midrange card and the Thopters will be good with cards like, Goblin Welder and Daretti, Scrap Savant. Also the all important 2 power comes into play again, which gives it many synergies. Replaces Hero of Oxid Ridge.

Despoiler of Souls - Even with its Mana cost being restrictive, being able to recur this creature once is probably good enough for the Black/X aggro decks. Replaces Diabolic Edict.

Molten Vortex - A couple of my players are huge fans of Life from the Loam, which I have always felt is medicore. I'm going to try this card out to see if it makes that deck any better. Replaces Rift Bolt.

Sword of the Animist - Looks like a decent value card, mostly just looking to replace Sword of Body and Mind, whilst I think the cards fine a couple of players get really salty about it.

Running a 360 cube I never expect to many things from new sets, but I have been pleasantly with Magic Origins. If I was to go back up to 450 there would be a lot more card on the list.

Here's what I'm considering:

Swift Reckoning - Sweet white removal spell. Probably in place of Condemn.
Harbinger of the Tides - Great for blue devotion. Blue needs more quality 2 drops, even if they cost CC.
Jhessian Thief - I heart Ophidians and I heart prowess, so this is a slam dunk.
Mizzium Meddler - I love adding tricksy effects like this in blue.
Despoiler of Souls - Once again helps out devotion strategies and graveyard stuff.
Graveblade Marauder - Love the design on this guy. A perfect defensive creature that can turn around and lay some beats in the late game.
Languish - Mutilate never quite cut it. This is a great compromise.
Priest of the Blood Rite - I'm not as high on this guy as some of the others around here, but I have to admit that he does go well with my sacrifice and flicker themes. I wonder if he's just too rawly powerful for any of that to matter, though.
Shambling Ghoul - Simple. Beautiful.
Abbot of Keral Keep - Remember what I said about prowess? Dude is good on turn 2 and still good on turn 10.
Acolyte of the Inferno - This dude is frankly terrifying, and red needs more attacking 3's.
Embermaw Hellion - Seems like a pretty sweet reward for a red control deck. Also works as an anthem effect for tokens.
Exquisite Firecraft - I like this spell a lot. Sure, it's a sorcery, but I'm thinking of subbing it for Flame Javelin.
Magmatic Insight - Probably better than Tormented Thoughts, which I'm currently running.
Molten Vortex - This might convince me to put Life from the Loam back in my cube.
Scab-Clan Berserker - Another good 3 drop for a red attacking deck.
Evolutionary Leap - Spreading the sacrifice love to green. Seems like a great way to get a card advantage engine going.
Nissa's Revelation - Green Sphinx's Rev seems worth testing. Gets gross with stuff like Pelakka Wurm.
Woodland Bellower - Green needs better 6's. Seems worth testing out.
Blazing Hellhound - Good for sacrifice shenanigans. Wish it didn't cost 1, though.
Bounding Krasis - A little boring, considering that I don't run Kiki-Jiki, but UG needs help as a guild. Maybe this efficient guy can help.

Phew. More than I expected there to be. This set looks like a hoot. I can't wait to draft it.

Is that mage-ring storage land worth testing? It seems like a decent low-cost mana sink for control/midrange/ramp decks, but then again it might be way narrower than I am thinking right now.

Is that mage-ring storage land worth testing? It seems like a decent low-cost mana sink for control/midrange/ramp decks, but then again it might be way narrower than I am thinking right now.
according to the people i know who play standard whoever lands one first wins the control mirror

i might even try to get a foil one for the land binder

e: aha nope suck it standard

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
am i reading it wrong or is it not strictly worse in cube than something like Dreadship Reef

though there's a thought, maybe those time spiral era storage lands are worth a try?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
according to the people i know who play standard whoever lands one first wins the control mirror

i might even try to get a foil one for the land binder

am i reading it wrong or is it not strictly worse in cube than something like Dreadship Reef

though there's a thought, maybe those time spiral era storage lands are worth a try?

Lol, I immediately discarded it as jank because of the old storage lands. So yeah, you're better of running Dreadship Reef and friends. I have never really considered running them, though I did put Reefs in my Ramirez dePietro Pirate casual deck!

Oh hey so it is! For some reason I thought it was just {T} to put a counter on, not {1}, {T}. Fixing is probably better and not needing to tap to remove counters probably does more as well.

i should probably read cards carefully b4 i post about them but i'd probably get even less done

I'd rather go full Flores (never go full Flores) and play Crucible of the Spirit Dragon if I wanted to break the control mirror.

Quick list of cards I am looking currently interested in trying out from Moriginz:

White- Kytheon/Gideon, Kytheon's Irregulars, Consul's Lieutenant, Vryn Wingmare

Blue- Harbinger of the Tides, Jessian Thief, Mizzium Meddler

Black- Despoiler of Souls, Shambling Ghoul, Liliana/Liliana, Dark Petition, Priest of the Blood Rite, Kothoped

Red- Abbot of Keral Keep, Mom and Dad Nalaar

Green- Evolutionary Leap, Herald of the Pantheon, Nissa/Nissa, Conclave Naturalists, Woodland Bellower

Other- Thunderclap Wyvern, Blood-Cursed Knight, Hangarback Walker

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'mma test:

Kytheon
Liliana
Nissa
Abbot of Keral Keep
Mage-Ring Bully
Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Thopter Engineer
Whirler Rogue
Harbinger of the Tides
Graveblade Marauder
Molten Vortex
Priest of the Blood Rite
Gather the Pack
Evolutionary Leap

maybes:
Herald of the Pantheon
Managorger Hydra
Erebos's Titan
Woodland Bellower
Archangel of Tithes
Demonic Pact
Thunderclap Wyvern
Bounding Krasis
Blazing Hellhound
Hangarback Walker

Get them into the red zone once, then they're too big to be unblockable?

Yeah, I thought the whole point of renown was that they're pretty efficient post-trigger but terrible pre-trigger. The one-drops would still be targets, but I was really just trying to find hope for renown in cards that already exist and might be cubed.

I don't for the life of me understand why you people claim renown creatures have terrible stats pre-trigger. Most of them are precisely what you'd ask at that mana cost (2/2 for 2, 3/2 for 3 etc). It's not a high powered mechanic, and outside of like relic hunter I don't think it's going to get play in most cubes, but I don't think it's fair to say the bodies are undersized pre-trigger.

It's not a high powered mechanic, and outside of like relic hunter I don't think it's going to get play in most cubes, but I don't think it's fair to say the bodies are undersized pre-trigger.

I didn't say undersized, just terrible, like all "good in limited" cards. I specifically mentioned trying to make them work with "cards that already exist and might be cubed," so I was just trying to see if squeezing them into lists was possible.

I think it's worth exploring because while the vast majority are vanilla or french vanilla, the 'cost' makes their post-trigger form less "bullshit huge guy"-feeling and they make many effects (like break through the line, falter, or angelic blessing) much more viable, on top of bringing their own +1/+1 counters to the table for any proliferate, outlast, and ion storm themes. Probably just a peasant mechanic.

Macabre waltz has shown up on my image macro group at least twice (I'm still holding mutilate in the tank)
Honestly that card I'd pretty narrow and preys on my love of channel cycle sac and evoke but not prowess or smell mastery

Like if you are willing to be a peasant equivalent cube to make discard bonus a deep strategy I am all for it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Recent podcasting had me going over both conspiracy (Cogwork librarians are going back in my cube, it's just too sweet) and Vintage Masters, which does have a UG madness theme (which I'm not totally convinced doesn't suck/has horrible narrow cards.

Anyway, with those on the brain, edging out value on your one of lategame only draw spell is the kind of thing that's cool to do, but can't be the only thing you do, since there's basically no decks that want more than 2 waltz, and a small ass number that even do want 2.

In a similar vein, thinking about conspiracy: Swift Reconing (The destroy target tapped creature one) can be really interesting in multiplayer, where sorcery speed removal is usually frowned upon.