General Rivals of Ixalan (RIX) Spoilers

Yeah, thats more or less what he says in the second video, that T-rex was probably not super fluffy like Yutyrannus, because skin impressions shows that Yutyrannus had feathers in spots where we know t-rex didn't. But the media response to that study was overblown, basically tossing the idea of t-rex having feathers at all down the drain, which wasn't really a claim being made.

There was an answer video to his second T-Rex video from a fellow paleo nerd. I can't find it anymore though. There that other guys explains, that T-Rex was probably scaly, and that Trey's second video on the skin impressions was pretty biased and partly wrong. Trey had the top comment under that video, where he admitted, that he was wrong.

And Yutyrannus isn't the best comparison after all, because that awesome thing lived in colder environments.

I love feathered dinos, but it is important to me, to picture them as truthfully as possible. Feathered Raptors? Yes. Feathered Stegosaurs? Nope. Feathered T-Rex? Probably not so much.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I don't know, that didn't come up in his "correcting past mistakes" video, so I suspect he would disagree with that characterization.

You could PM him about it, but if he was decent enough to admit he shouldn't have used unpublished research in his yutyrannus video that he shouldn't have used, I don't see why he wouldn't admit he was outright wrong about feather rex if that was the case.

The Trey videos are good. It's not really groundbreaking discussion though. Even 30 years ago every book I read on Dinosaurs explicitly stated there was little to go on as far as what skin coverings looked liked. Assumptions were made (and called out as such) based on reptiles obviously and we've learned much since then (like maybe many dinos were warm blooded, evolved into birds, etc). The idea of wide spread feathers was certainly not being discussed when I was a kid, but as Trey points out there is no direct fossil evidence that T-Rex had feathers either. The feather argument is entirely based on the fact that ancestors and relatives had feathers and therefore T-Rex must (or should). And that's fine, but how many feathers, where on the body and were they lost in maturity - it's all pure conjecture. No one knows.

The strongest argument in my mind against the idea of turkey rex is the fact that no fossil records show feathers. Yutyrannus fossil record show feathers - that's not debated - so it's not like fossil records for Rex wouldn't show feathers if they were there. Maybe T-Rex is a special case due to the quality/location of the fossil record, but that seems like a really loose explanation to me. Trey even makes an argument early in his video (intended to validate the idea of feathered T-Rex) that you can actually use to argue against the feathered T-Rex theory - namely that we have aquatic mammals today with only a handful of hairs remaining on their bodies. So they did essentially get rid of fur almost entirely. I realize T-Rex was land dwelling so there's less reason for that much evolutionary change (and a shorter time period), but T-Rex also evolved to be absolutely massive in size. Not that you can't have feathers on a massive creature - that isn't my argument - I'm simply pointing out there was extreme evolution happening in the world of the dinosaurs. You had a race of monsters that evolved. 10 ton meat eating land creatures is not normal. How big would those feathers be on one of those things fully grown? And if they existed, how is it we've not found a single one in the fossil record ?

I'm honestly not bent out of shape with the idea that T-Rex could have had feathers. Some of those illustrations of feathered Rex look sweet. But without direct evidence, Turkey-Rex is just as much of an assumption as Jurassic Park's Godzilla-Rex. The only conclusion we can draw is that T-Rex most likely had feathers at some point in it's life cycle. But we don't know more than that.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
021%20-%20Sail%20Into%20the%20Sunset.jpg

Oh hey they reprinted shaharazahd

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
s2ilp1Z.png

Immortal Sun {6}
Legendary Artifact
Players can't activate loyalty abilities of planeswalkers.
At the beginning of your draw step, draw an additional card.
Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
Creatures you control get +1/+1.

I'm pretty excited for this one. That's a lot of small benefits that can really add up fast.

duOlOhZ.png

Tetzimoc, Primal Death {4}{B}{B}
Legendary Creature - Elder Dinosaur
Deathtouch
{B}, Reveal Tetzimoc, Primal Death from your hand: Put a prey counter on target creature. Only activate this ability during your turn.
When Tetzimoc enters the battlefield destroy all creatures your opponents control with a prey counter on it.
6/6

Hehe, funny! It's coming!

What really tilts me about The Immortal Sun is you can't use Daretti after cheating it in... with Daretti! So lame!

I must admit it is not very clean to have one effect affecting globally and three effect affecting only you..

..but how are we else going to portray this world-dominating artifact locking planeswalkers from planeswalking?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What a horrible, horrible design! :( Providing players with a way to trigger all life gain triggers an arbitrarily large amount of times just for the sake of it. Just what we needed!

Whoo! A six mana two card otk combo! In Modern! Need a second piece to go with Natural-Born Blockade?

This really looks like fun!

What's the source anyway, because I don't see it on mtgs or mythicspoiler?