General Rivals of Ixalan (RIX) Spoilers

tumblr_p1wrazjNGX1rsid3vo1_400.jpg

This looks super sweet for aristocrats and ties in with lifegain themes, plus incidental vampire synergies... I think I'm in love!

Yeah, Elenda looks like a fun build around me card. And at mythic too! You'ld almost expect something pushed beyond silly, but this looks very reasonable.
It's Ixalan block, why would it be pushed? /s
Although it is interesting that the majority of the exciting stuff from this block so far has been at lower rarities, with higher rarity stuff being targeted mostly at the casual and commander crowd.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think he was referring to 8 toughness and indestructible kinda hurts the eyes of a great designer.

Yes it looks kinda silly, but it's still relevant. The 8 toughness means it doesn't die to Grasp of Darkness and other silly -X/-X effects as easily. Also, it's a freaking huge dragon, the stats are completely appropriate. I don't mind it at all honestly.

Yes it looks kinda silly, but it's still relevant. The 8 toughness means it doesn't die to Grasp of Darkness and other silly -X/-X effects as easily. Also, it's a freaking huge dragon, the stats are completely appropriate. I don't mind it at all honestly.

Me neither. In all honesty it doesn't matter much but having the stats be high makes sense from a flavor perspective and thus looks 'good' on the card.

And giving it indestructible must be a lore-decision. So it's very, very fine and I like the design. I'm sorry if my post sounded like anything other than that <3

I may just have stars in my eyes, but Huatli, Radiant Champion almost looks like she could be low power enough to work in my list..? Not sure I want to bring any planeswalkers in at this point, but those abilities all look really fair to me.

Weirdly excited about the lord cycle, although I don't think I'm going to be pushing any of those tribes enough to be interested, I do love 2-mana lords.

Jadelight Ranger seems pretty sweet; I've loved explore. Holy smokes though, the green 3 (and double {G}{G} to boot) slot is painful to mess with.

Ravenous Chupacabra is cute. If I had the space, I'd run it for cute factor alone!

Really liking these spoilers so far.

Tilonallis_Summoner_PT.png

This kicks serious ass! It's Tempt with Vengeance on a stick! And a human!

...just needs evasion or Goblin Bombardment to clear the blockers.

In case your portuguese is a little rusty, it reads:

Tilonalli's Summoner 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
Ascend
Every time ~ attacks, you may pay XR. If you do, create X 1/1 Elemental creature tokens tapped and attacking. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step, unless you have the City's blessing.
1/1

I actually like chupacabra. I don't run humans, and while first strike is good, it being live all the time is real nice.

In other news:
etaliprimalstorm.jpg

Where's this on the scale of inferno titan to shivan dragon? I've never really had a red 6 I was really happy with.

Not having haste or trample is a bit of a downer, but I think I like this alongside the red Gearhulk as 'Big Red' top-end. Would be lots of fun with Sneak Attack, but I do think it's probably a dud.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Looks like a tremendous upside on a mediocre body. I will keep the red Gearhulk for its artifact synergies, but this looks pretty sweet. Fun to play with as well.

Nice
skymarcheraspirant.jpg

I think I finally take out Kytheon for this? OP 1 drop is OP, and this similarly gets stronger in the midgame with a developed board. Ascend is p sweet in that it's similar-ish to a battalion type mechanic, but you don't have to attack poorly to force it to go off.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I think people are overestimating how easy it is to trigger Ascend in the average game unless your Cube is full of cards that leave random bodies lying around. Kytheon is much better most of the time but is also horribly complicated so that's a better reason to swap it out IMO

I would say some decent fraction of RT cubes have token strats in aggro, usually centered in white. More a board reach mechanic than anything, which white also appreciates here.

Kytheon def better, which is a negative as much as a positive, obvs. Any reasonably decent excuse is enough for me to take him out for something more properly powered.

Nice
View attachment 1609

I think I finally take out Kytheon for this? OP 1 drop is OP, and this similarly gets stronger in the midgame with a developed board. Ascend is p sweet in that it's similar-ish to a battalion type mechanic, but you don't have to attack poorly to force it to go off.

Well on the other hand you also sometimes cannot attack because you have 8 permanents and are waiting for the last two permanents.

To me some of the Ascend cards look a little like the Miracle keyword. You can’t force the effect or help it with anything but deck building (which is half of any strategy I will admit) and the effects are suddenly active to the surprise of everyone. The active player gets to see the 10’th permanent when drawn but would surely not hesitate to cast it immediately.

Am I wrong?