Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Related to land ramp: lately I've been really into cards that put lands into your hand. Just being able to hit your land every turn is super powerful. Maybe it's too much BFZ Sealed for me, but I was incredibly impressed with how much Fertile Thicket smooths out draws, and it has play in decks that have both fixing and utility lands. Obviously plays well with Treasure Hunt and Conundrum Sphinx.

Speaking of, I'm now testing:

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
How bottlenecked do you get on mana? Obviously I have dreams of combining that card with repeatable sac outlets to slowly grind through their army.

I mean, her ability doesn't cost any more than Harness by Force or Mark of Mutiny, cards that a lot of us run. Having a body stapled to those treason effects lets you get in a lot of damage both early and quickly, and then having the effect be repeatable puts it right over the top. Unlike with treason effects, you're usually not stealing some big dragon, but sometimes it's even more impactful early game to swipe their only blocker in Sea Gate Oracle or Vampire Nighthawk and swing out.

CML

Contributor
It's probably dumb, but I'm currently testing Satyr Wayfinder in the place of Sakura Tribe Elder. I'd like to introduce more minor graveyard elements to my cube, but haven't fully pulled the trigger on it yet.

the difference in cube design philosophies boils down to people who realize wayfinder is dope and people who think it's stupid

the card defined standard for months, it's very good

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
RE: Wayfinder, To me he seems MILES better than mulch. So you're saying I can't draw multiple lands if I'm an absolute lucksack, but instead I gain 2-5 life and it counts towards my spider spawning? SOLD!
Grisly Salvage seems like exactly where I want this kind of effect to be, both in number of cards and things it can pick, but I don't like the 2 color-ness of it. Maybe it'd be okay (but strong) as a {1}{G} Sorcery?

I'm not a huge fan of elvish visionary either, but Wayfinder seems better than visionary does, since he actually helps an archetype as opposed to visonary who just kinda durdles.

March 2014:
nah mulch is better. play some magic and you'll see what i mean ;)

December 2015:
the difference in cube design philosophies boils down to people who realize wayfinder is dope and people who think it's stupid

the card defined standard for months, it's very good

Not saying these statements are mutually exclusive, but...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, it's kind of like the Yang to Mana Leak in a way. It hits small spells all game long, but has a weakness to big spells.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
to be fair i made the exact same mistake when it was spoiled

then CML made that mistake on here about two weeks ago

that tells me it's not our fault it's their fault