General The Card Art Thread

I don't really know where else to post this so here's new mom art from the elspeth vs. kiora duel deck:
NDhnVwB.png

Potentially another great divider of art preferences? I love mom-like mom but this is pretty sweet too.

Here's a link to all the new-art cards.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You know, I thought those were the stupidest shit back when I tangentally knew about yu gi oh, but...we have gods now

What can I mock them about now?
oh yeah card design :p
Yu-Gi-Oh-Dark-Beginnings-2-Yata-Garasu.jpg

For those not versed in how the hell this game works, above is a 1 card hard lock.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I actually enjoy all of the threads that get side tracked into an art discussion, but I think it's a meaty enough topic that it deserves its own thread.

I made an INV/KTK/RAV draft on cockatrice today and I was surprised how good some of the Invasion art was. My impression of the oldest sets is that the categories are: Awful, Hyper-manly (and awful), Generic, and Guayesque. A lotta the Invasion stuff managed to be neither generic nor awful nor overtly guayesque.

F'rinstance, alabaster leech is pretty neat, at least at tiny-card size. All the benalish guys are awful though. Capashin Unicorn skirts the line nicely between generic and guayesque, I think. I can't decipher what the dude in the background is doing, but crimson acolyte is doing cool things and the movement in the piece is great.

I just like how the art credit is 'Rebecca "Don't Mess With Me" Guay'

I've been slapping a google form together to both poll a bunch of different magic art across the internet and familiarize myself with the app. Some stuff I'm just skipping over for no real reason (sun titan) but I'm still adding stuff with what I consider an obvious answer (lingering souls). Counterspell has eight different arts. EIGHT.

Mark Poole is the only acceptable counterspell art. Screw Jace.
Tempest and Ice Age is ok as well. And Masques. I love the art in masques. The promo counterspell with the looks all Mirage-y is nice as well.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hah, I love how old school you are, Jonas. Original art, always!

The Ice Age art is horrible though, c'mon. Though I sadly own the most copies of that one because it was printed at common (!).

The Ice Age art is horrible though, c'mon. Though I sadly own the most copies of that one because it was printed at common (!).
Yeah, that one isn't fantastic. Still better than Jace though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Tempest and Ice Age is ok as well. And Masques. I love the art in masques. The promo counterspell with the looks all Mirage-y is nice as well.

I picked up a masques foil one from my LGS at like 8$ because the back was absolutly shredded: Front looks fine :D

Hey man so was cancel

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

Love this dark ritual

129.jpg

Of promo cards/judge's foils, this is my favorite:

JDG_EleshNornGrandCenobite.jpg

Love the phyrexian script, I wish they had done that with more cards.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That is the only Sengir vampire art I will recognize.

Back in the day the duelist had an issue with an awesome full body image of necropotence.

This is the best I could find of it:

1718_Necrostanding.jpg

i love my childhood more than i love terese nielsen and as someone who's been tapping moms since 1999 im basically a dream case for freud so you should all listen to me
Holy shit 1999. Has anyone else started using the events of 9/11 as a temporal benchmark for how old stuff is yet?

Also reminds me of this classic dnd art by david trampier. Kinda wish it was as good though. Magic aint looking for this kinda atmosphere no more though.

04.jpg