General The Card Art Thread

I guess someone fed their gremlin after-

What do you mean he's an Imp? MtG has Gremlins, doesn't it?

There's no way they're exclusively a Phyrexian thing, that'd be...

Only two in the game AND they're both Phyrexian?

You're fucking lying.

Hah, I love how old school you are, Jonas. Original art, always!

The Ice Age art is horrible though, c'mon. Though I sadly own the most copies of that one because it was printed at common (!).

That IA Counterspell helped spawn my lifelong interest in... black women who look like they're on American Gladiators?

Laz

Developer
I'm being coy though. There's definitely some very passable art in Homelands :)

2950.jpg

I also have a soft spot for An-Zerrin Ruins

I think it was more the way you said it Pyre. MTG Salvation has a pretty hostile undertone which I think a lot of posters have become desensitized to.

Regarding the art on naturalists…. I think it's one of those pieces that is quite polarizing (maybe most art is, i don't know). Without any context, I showed that card to my gaming group last night. One guy thought it was amazing. Another guy thought it was really bad. Two others didn't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

I think if you dislike CG style art in general, you probably won't like this card. I actually tend in that direction a lot of times, but something about this appeals to me. The vibrant green is very attractive to me. It also has a surreal quality about it that reminds me of World of Warcraft (something I have fond memories of). Is it my favorite piece of Magic art? Definitely not. But I like it a lot and will very likely slot this in my list (replacing Wickerbough probably who I feel is and always has been pretty interchangeable with Stomphowler who Naturalist is an upgrade over).

CML

Contributor
I think it was more the way you said it Pyre. MTG Salvation has a pretty hostile undertone which I think a lot of posters have become desensitized to.

Regarding the art on naturalists…. I think it's one of those pieces that is quite polarizing (maybe most art is, i don't know). Without any context, I showed that card to my gaming group last night. One guy thought it was amazing. Another guy thought it was really bad. Two others didn't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

I think if you dislike CG style art in general, you probably won't like this card. I actually tend in that direction a lot of times, but something about this appeals to me. The vibrant green is very attractive to me. It also has a surreal quality about it that reminds me of World of Warcraft (something I have fond memories of). Is it my favorite piece of Magic art? Definitely not. But I like it a lot and will very likely slot this in my list (replacing Wickerbough probably who I feel is and always has been pretty interchangeable with Stomphowler who Naturalist is an upgrade over).

the hostile tone is because there have been exactly 0 good ideas discovered on mtgs in the last decade, which is why there have been exactly 0 good ideas discovered on mtgs in the last decade