General The Card Art Thread

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
that's how i pronounce it (NEK-ra-tall), but everyone around me seems to say ne-KRA-tel

then again, they all say ga-ROOK instead of GAR-ruk, so maybe they're all dumb and i can ignore them

also, it's POL-u-KRA-nos and not pu-LOOK-ra-nos, people

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Actually, if we can mirror Polukranos to Polyphemos, it's po-lu-KRA-nos. But Greek is very finicky in its pronunciation, so it could easily be po-LU-kra-nos if, for example, it should mirror the pronunciation of Prometheus.

I guess we'll never know... Or will we?

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/266d

I'm sorry Erik, official sources confirm it is, in fact, pronounced as po-LOO-krahn-ohs.

I fully expect you to raise your voice in defiance and shout "NEVER!!!" at the top of your lungs now :D

We tend to pronounce stuff however. No one cares.

I really like nicknames. Adds character. "two shields" is a solid one. I'm going to throw that out next time I cube and see if it sticks.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Fun fact, the card arts for a bunch of the Lorwyn elementals were swapped to better match the card function. Here is how they would have been aligned had the original pieces not been swapped about:

1470_Swapped_IngotChewer.jpg
1470_Swapped_Aethersnipe.jpg
1470_Swapped_Shriekmaw.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
that's how i pronounce it (NEK-ra-tall), but everyone around me seems to say ne-KRA-tel

then again, they all say ga-ROOK instead of GAR-ruk, so maybe they're all dumb and i can ignore them

How about Necropotence?

I always hear people say NEC-ro-POH-tence, but it makes me crazy. "POH-tence" sounds so awkward.

In my head: Necropolis + Omnipotence = neh-CROP-oh-tence

It wasn't until now that I saw all the blue on the Shriekmaw art. Usually black pieces have some sort of mellow overtone or something purple.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Ok but serious talk guys, is it yur-I-nal or yur-nal?

edit: You know what, let's not discuss it at all. How is everyone today?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
How about Necropotence?

I always hear people say NEC-ro-POH-tence, but it makes me crazy. "POH-tence" sounds so awkward.

In my head: Necropolis + Omnipotence = neh-CROP-oh-tence

i mean it's NEK-ro-man-ser but it's also IM-po-tens, so when you slam them together...

ok i honestly have no idea, i think i hear ne-KROP-uh-tens more, but i say it NEK-ro-PO-tens

then there's the actual word potence which is pronounced PO-tens

isn't this fun guys? (i have no idea if it's fun)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
ask a Magic player to pronounce 'Jitte'

also if I were in charge, people who pronounce 'Myr' as 'myrrh' would be first up against the wall

CML

Contributor
"no matter will the righteous cower before evil," said lee sharpe, dialing up the cost of playing modo so that the last well-compensated grinder would be zach jesse ...