Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

I like Bretagard's Protector a little more if you only have room for one token signpost, but the saga might actually outclass it if populating bigger tokens is a larger possibility. I also really like how it copies artifact tokens as well and not just creature tokens. Value sagas like this are also neat if you can rebuy them or have some delirium effects, but I'm probably not telling you anything new here.

Remember that the Saga also copies artifacts, so it'll make more Clues/Food/Treasure/etc.

If we want to be cute:

Naya Reanimator!

The strongest themes in red in my cube are probably madness and goblin tribal. Might this card be just playable?

Played on turn one it can probably get in an attack or two or three. And the effect can be very good, especially when you discard Fiery Temper it to kill their artifact creature. But maybe the goblin itself isn't enough of a card?

Similarly gets in damage by discarding cards and way, way better. You might already be running it and Bloodrage Brawler but either sounds better to me.

Compare it to Stampede Driver. Both that and Firefright are 1/1s that have to tap themselves and two lands to do anything. But Driver messes up combat math for the opponent whenever you mana available, is an actual pump for your whole team, and mimics the "getting in damage" effect with trample.

How are people that run this card's experiences with it? Does it fill it's role well? Overfill the role via it's recurability? Does the "non-flying" clause lead to any feel bad situations?

Temblor felt perfectly reasonable for me at the peasant power level. I particularly enjoyed it in an Izzet control shell with self-mill elements like Wall of Lost Thoughts

The only time I think it could legitimately feel bad is if you have a flying tribal archetype

The only time I think it could legitimately feel bad is if you have a flying tribal archetype
about that.... >_>

I may be reworking it into a more nuanced tempo deck with fliers only as one component because fliers can feel a little "gotcha"

Maybe just play one if the many pyroclasm variants that can hit fliers? They have no flashback, but usually these already generate card advantage on the first cast. So higher floor, lower ceiling might be more desireable here?

about that.... >_>

I may be reworking it into a more nuanced tempo deck with fliers only as one component because fliers can feel a little "gotcha"

I mean a couple of fliers wouldn't really be a concern imo, but if you're routinely facing down 3+ flyers it's a different story. Most low powered sweepers don't hit everything as it is. I would just want to make sure it was a meaningful effect against your general creature base. If you have lots of cheap 3 toughness grounded critter as well as lots of flyer, then it's definitely the wrong card.

Maybe just play one if the many pyroclasm variants that can hit fliers? They have no flashback, but usually these already generate card advantage on the first cast. So higher floor, lower ceiling might be more desireable here?
I could do that definitely, I just really like the repeatability of Temblor.

Besides literally Pyroclasm, these piqued my interest:

I like the flexibility of either option, though starstorm obviously has a higher cieling, and startstorm has cycling which is nice. It would provide a flexible sort of redundancy to the Sweltering Suns I already run.

I really like Starstorm. My two red mono board wipe cards (ie not wildfire or something very conditional) are Earthquake and Starstorm, both which offer a lot of agency due to being scaleable. It is a very rewarding feel to maneuver into a situation, where you can break the symmetrie of a board wipe, and with scaleable effects like these it is a much more realistic scenario.

How's this? I remember ignoring it in the arena cube, which is never really a good sign. Thinking about it as a sacrifice pay off (duh), but think it's a bit feast or famine? Any experience with it?

How's this? I remember ignoring it in the arena cube, which is never really a good sign. Thinking about it as a sacrifice pay off (duh), but think it's a bit feast or famine? Any experience with it?

My only experience with it was in my toshiro umezawa commander deck which provides no relevant cube data. Being 6cmc it plays out quite a bit different than most sacrifice payoffs. Harvester has a broader application in a control shell that can survive sweepers, which is value that most sac payoffs don’t provide. As a dedicated sacrifice payoff, I think it’s a little underwhelming....I usually want my death trigger cards to land a bit earlier so they can be relevant in the earlier stages of a game when there’s more attacking and trading rather than later in the game when the board might be stalled.

I should also say it’s very different than another 6cmc sac payoff: rage thrower.... which can come down and immediately win (or threaten to win) the game for you. Harvester comes down and then you rev up the engine and then you hopefully start to take over the game

Image.ashx
I really like this card! It's a good aristocrats payoff, but still a nice value creature for any strategy. It has relevant creature types for people who wish to swing that direction, and even provides some sort of "wrath protection" by letting you draw cards to replace the things the opponent has killed. Great card!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm running haruspex right now, but ideally we'd have one without morph that didn't deal damage to you
Aristocrats is often referred to by my friends as "Can't block Tribal", it kinda needs all the defensive help it can get

Yeah, yeah, thanks guys- harvester is out - which is what I suspected, but it's good to hear it confirmed. I was looking for something a bit higher up the curve, but I'll have a think about it a bit more. Good to have the obvious cards pointed out sometimes.

Yeah - I was thinking about maybe replacing marionette master, but probably won't now. Syr Konrad is probably out too, he's a little much I think (but don't hold me to that, who knows). Should have the updated list available soon.

So, looking for some incidental graveyard hate, I stumpled upon this card, which funnily enough was in my very first version of my cube (known as "pile of cards we could always build new decks from"). Considering that I run quite a low power level today, do have artifact payoffs (including splicers!) and protection from creatures is probably a strong default, could this card be a thing?

You could also set it up to survive your own Wildfire or other damage based sweepers.