landofMordor

Administrator
Unrestricted:
Dragon's Rage Channeler
Ignoble Hierarch
General Ferrous Rokiric
Imperial Recruiter
Grist, the Hunger Tide
Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar (I'm on 3x Faithless Looting)
The Underworld Cookbook
Scion of Draco (Descendant? too lazy to scryfall rn)
Tourach, Dread Cantor
Subtlety
Grief
Priest of Fell Rites
Prismatic Ending
Flametongue Yearling
Rishadan Dockhand
Timeless Dragon
Dakkon, Shadow Slayer
Territorial Kavu
Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
Murktide Regent
Fury
Damn
Solitude
Rakdos Headliner
Bloodbraid Marauder
Dauthi Voidwalker
____ Rootwalla (the red one)

Plus many, many more cards I'll be picking up for consideration in a peasant-ish list.

Another question, is Hard Evidence a good card? I mean, Thraben Inspector is, but that thing can attack, can be blinked or recurred which the crab token can't. Sorry, I can't evaluate it at all.

Another question, is Hard Evidence a good card? I mean, Thraben Inspector is, but that thing can attack, can be blinked or recurred which the crab token can't. Sorry, I can't evaluate it at all.
I think it can be comparable depending on supported archetypes. Hard Evidence is a spell, so triggers on anything that cares about spells, which Inspector doesn't (magecraft, prowess, young pyromancer effects, etc), and is in blue, which is often a better supported artifact color.

I would take a peek at my list to see if I would have room for it, but CC is still in maintenance mode. I hope part of the upgrade is new draft bots :rolleyes:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, clues are better in decks that have counterspells and/or play more at instant speed, since you can hold open the mana for other cards, then crack the clue as a plan B.

EDIT: Except for when I played @Kirblinx's deck in the GYCC and sac'd a million clues to Greater Gargadon to make my Tireless Tracker huge.

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not a ton of overlap between what I'm running and what this set has unfortunatly.
Fuckin PILE of new custom cards though, as this set did give me a bunch of ideas and set me to thinking

Here's the related half:
Damn-MH2-672.jpgdragonsragechanneler.jpgIgnoble-Hierarch-MH2-672.jpgMonoskelion-MH2-672.jpgMurktide-Regent-MH2-672.jpgNettlecyst-MH2-672.jpgOrnithopter-of-Paradise-MH2-672.jpgSquirrel Sanctuary.png

Another question, is Hard Evidence a good card?
Hard Evidence looks very good. I'm viewing it as a "defensive cantrip." The Crab token can be used to stymie early aggression from the opponent, but you get to draw a card later when conditions are more favorable to you. While Hard Evidence isn't blinkable, it can be used to trigger prowess, and it can even be re-cast with a Snapcaster Mage or a similar spells from graveyard effect.

Hard Evidence doesn't fill the same role as Thraben Inspector traditionally does, however, I think it meshes better with the average Blue deck than the inspector. I think this is a new "staple" card, in that almost every cube of every size and power level can deploy it effectively.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it can be comparable depending on supported archetypes. Hard Evidence is a spell, so triggers on anything that cares about spells, which Inspector doesn't (magecraft, prowess, young pyromancer effects, etc), and is in blue, which is often a better supported artifact color.

I would take a peek at my list to see if I would have room for it, but CC is still in maintenance mode. I hope part of the upgrade is new draft bots :rolleyes:
1622740532178.png
This has been pretty great, hard evidence is close enough that it will probably be great as well.
It's different, but honestly the actual biggest difference I think is that blue probably doesn't need the draw as much as white ever did.
Basically between the similarities it has to thraben inspector and the ones it has to wall of blossoms, even if it's meeting somewhere in the middle, this is likely a card blue wants.

I'm more skeptical on Hard Evidence....it feels like a card most blue decks could use, but rarely want/need (at least my blue decks). I was really excited by it at first, but the more I thought about it, the less enthusiastic I became. For cheap blue defense, I think that I'd rather have a Fae of Wishes, Merfolk Secretkeeper, Sidisi's Faithful, Thassa's Oracle, Wall of Lost Thoughts, Chief Engineer, or Baral, Chief of Compliance

I can definitely see the appeal in a slower control deck in tandem with Snapcaster Mage or Archaeomancer. Maybe in a Welder deck that could use the defensive body to stall the ground while you use the artifact for other goals? I'm not sure I care about running this next to my Young Pyromancer or my Monastery Mentor. I just struggle to find many places where it is more than just generic slow value.

For me, a large part of the value of Inspector and the Draw Walls is the ability to be blinked.....and that creatures are also much easier to recur than spells, and repeatedly recur. They are generic value with a lot more ways to make them interesting.

My guess is this is more valuable the closer you get to retail limited where strategies/decks become less streamlined and there's more space for casual interactions.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I have to test this guy too

1622753129585.png

It just fits my white section so well ...

He could be nice for {W/B} or {R/W} sacrifice
He's a blink target, expensive but valueable enough to be worth it.
He's got lifelink to be a great curvetopper for that deck too.
He can get back artifacts for that deck.
He even gets enchantments like sagas or Promise of Bunrei.
And while probably not the best mode, bringing back lands can be useful too for landfall or loam. And sometimes just getting back Secluded Steppe will be good enough.

So I'm definitely including Foundation Breaker and Kaleidoscope. I can see a case for Legion Vanguard, Master of Death, Ornithopter of Paradise, Mine Collapse, Cabal Initiate, and Nested Shambler, but I only have time to talk about a few other maybes:

1622756742868.png
Vaguely interesting, although my cube can't do anything with the counters. Not sure if I'm in the market for a relatively generic utility dude. I run Filigree Familiar, Pilgrim's Eye, and Perilous Myr which are similar to a degree, but sac decks like the Myr, Hashep Oasis decks like Eye, and Familiar is a true jack-of-all trades. The best I can say for this one is that it's a decent two-drop in artifact decks. Still, I could see cutting Eye or Familiar for Monoskelion, especially Eye, as I suspect that's a bit underwhelming after raising my power level and fixing availability a bit.

1622757459158.png
I considered Spark Harvest in the past but didn't like that it only went in one deck, and unimpressively at that. This has a lot of flexibility, to the point that it would probably be one of the better removal spells in the cube. Yes it has to go in the right deck, but like 3/4 of black decks in my cube run a sacrifice or discard theme. I'd probably be cutting Collective Brutality for this, but seeing as I probably have enough sac effects in black, I'm not convinced I want to make that swap. I think Brutality has more play to it, and besides, it's hard to find lifegain cards for that archetype.

1622758174708.png
I have mixed feelings towards this card. I like colorless discard outlets, artifact tokens, and lifegain--in fact I could probably use more of all of those--but I think I need to see this in action before I can tell if it's useful enough. I just can see this as the 41st card in a lot of decks. obviously it's too slow for any aggressive builds unless maybe you're super heavy on 2 out of 3: discard/gy, artifacts, lifegain. Slow gy and artifact builds across the board probably play it though?

Probably the best reference point for it is

where by comparison this card doesn't require mana and provides lifegaining tokens but doesn't draw when you activate it and can't get back multiple discarded cards, though it uses the whole graveyard instead of an isolated exiled pile. Not sure how I feel about either tbh.

I'm shocked and a little isappointed noone else has mentioned Abinding Grace yet.

1622914825639.png

I honestly think this card will give white it's own Drake Haven/Demonic Pact/Wildfire/Birthing Pod, as it's a build around card, that totally shapes the way you'll construct AND play your deck. It does a lot of good stuff for a cube, I'd say:

- It gives extra value to all your 1-drops, as they are now not exclusively a tool for aggro-drafters
- It makes your 1-drops more contested and thus they are less narrow card in these precious cube slots
- It makes white into something graveyard decks can be interested in, as it has a very unique effect now
- It should scale very nicely with the environment's 1-drops in power level for almost every cube (Imagine a scale from Tundra Wolves to Kytheon, Hero of Akros)
- It's a great card advantage engine for white!

I expected riptiders to be all over this card tbh

that’s where i am too. if i supported aggro or ran the really crazy ones like DRS and Ragavan i would absolutely test it. as is i think it’s too narrow to truly generate value in my current list.

I'm shocked and a little isappointed noone else has mentioned Abinding Grace yet.

View attachment 4470

I honestly think this card will give white it's own Drake Haven/Demonic Pact/Wildfire/Birthing Pod, as it's a build around card, that totally shapes the way you'll construct AND play your deck. It does a lot of good stuff for a cube, I'd say:

- It gives extra value to all your 1-drops, as they are now not exclusively a tool for aggro-drafters
- It makes your 1-drops more contested and thus they are less narrow card in these precious cube slots
- It makes white into something graveyard decks can be interested in, as it has a very unique effect now
- It should scale very nicely with the environment's 1-drops in power level for almost every cube (Imagine a scale from Tundra Wolves to Kytheon, Hero of Akros)
- It's a great card advantage engine for white!

I expected riptiders to be all over this card tbh

Thank you for pointing my attention to the card! I wouldn’t have included it if it weren’t for you but I think you made me fall in love. I am a sucker for such cards. I also really enjoy Approach of the Second Sun.