General Actual contest: Design a 360 card cube with 100 unique cards

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Looking into my first idea for a design, I feel really smothered by the freedom customs allow. Seems like you won't be able to do nearly as much as someone with customs. The challenge should be based on utilizing cards in an interesting way, not designing whatever you want to satisfy the conditions.
This can happen. Sometimes I get bogged down thinking about some insane 5 way venn diagram of zones and mechanic overlap, trying to map out the pieces and just get completely lost.
It's why half my custom cards are hole filling or sharpies of existing ones.

I'm going to need help playtesting an idea on Cockatrice, if you're willing to do it please PM me here or on Discord!

I'm also happy to playtest with others in weekday EST evenings or weekend EST afternoon / evening.

I will have a submission (have a rough 100 already) but I must say the 100 cards restriction seems pretty hefty and I would go to a higher count when actually assembling the list (like 10 lands, 15 cards per color amount to 85 cards already). It's a fun thought experiment tho!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I will have a submission (have a rough 100 already) but I must say the 100 cards restriction seems pretty hefty and I would go to a higher count when actually assembling the list (like 10 lands, 15 cards per color amount to 85 cards already). It's a fun thought experiment tho!
Just City of Brass it lul

@Modin Oh, yeah, it's super restrictive. What I'm doing for lands is like 32 Terramorphic Expanses or something and calling it a day.

@Jason Waddell Are we allowed purely aesthetic customs? Because we have so many cards in multiples, I'd like to signify how many of each card there is in the cube. It wouldn't change any of the game text, just communicate to the player "there are five of these" or "there's only two of this! grab it!"

Yeah, of course not--if I'm being honest, it's mostly to help me keep track of what I'm doing. Thanks!

Oh crap, I almost missed this thing!

Quick question: If we use custom basic lands (i.e. we use the artifact lands as our basic lands), do those count towards our unique cards?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Oh crap, I almost missed this thing!

Quick question: If we use custom basic lands (i.e. we use the artifact lands as our basic lands), do those count towards our unique cards?
The Rules:
1) Deadline is June 16th. Entries will be discussed in a video / stream I make, followed by a public vote (possibly on a selected shortlist, depending on number of submissions).
2) Prize: 25 USD or regional equivalent via PayPal, and a custom forum title of your choosing (within reason) for 1 year (365 days)
3) Submissions must be a cubecobra link in this thread. I suggest you put some thought into your naming, primer, etc.
4) All entries must be exactly 100 unique cards and 360 total cards. I won't count, but, maybe somebody else will!
5) No custom cards, but no restrictions beyond that. The structure is up to you, you can get as conceptual or as pragmatic as you like.