General Actual contest: Design a 360 card cube with 100 unique cards

Too perplex to simply be called a cube, I bring to you a puzzleknot, a place to ponder upon the questions truly not worth asking yourself. A world of wonder, where turtles fix your mana, and hybrid costs present herculean tasks. I invite you to get lost, in The Æther Hub.
(The cube puzzleknot is very rough around the edges, and it has a lot of edges. I make no guarantees of a well crafted and balanced play experience. Some cards may mysteriously appear or disappear before the deadline.)

I guess this is my first post, so hello to anyone that's not on discord.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Work in progress: http://cubecobra.com/cube/list/ung100

I still have to do a write-up, but this cube focuses a lot on overlapping game-play. No green, both mono-color and 4-color are supported, artifacts play a big role (as they should when green's not around!)

Edit: It's actually one of two concepts I had in mind, so who knows if this is my final list?

Last edited:
Reactions: dbs
Is there an easy way to count the number of unique cards in a list?

Right now I'm making a 100 list and going to add like 40-60 copies of [REDACTED] and multiply the rest out to 360.

Last edited:
I sat down in SublimeText, came up with my list, and then "spent" 260 "extra" copies relatively recently throughout the list. I went with 2 copies if I only wanted something to show up once in a while, 3-4 for most cards, and 6-7 if it's supposed to be a staple or a build-around like Baru, Fist of Krosa or Caller of the Untamed that want you to have tons of copies.

EDIT: My test drafts of the GRUBE tell me that I need to go back to the drawing board. Drafting feels sloppy and some cards have shaped up to be must-grabs that I really didn't expect. For one thing, I wanted Selesnya Evangel + Resilient Khenra to be a potential finisher, and I don't think that's going to work out with my current list.

Last edited:
I think I'm pretty much done designing my cube. I've hit the point where I'm basically never going "i should change this" and instead I'm just going "this might not work but i need to playtest it first".

I assume there's a point where we need to stop altering our submission and say "this is the final iteration that I am submitting to the contest"?

I present to you the Total War Cube:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/total-war

Fun facts:
- It has 32 Short Swords.
- Blue is terrible but awesome instead of awesome but terrible.
- Absurdly cheap on MTGO, absurdly expensive on paper, but it's actually better played on paper.
- I tried using diophantine equations to build it, but it didn't work (something something NP-Complete) and I manually tweaked numbers until they turned green in Google Sheets instead.
- Power level: supports storm*, but also includes Wu Longbowman and Thran War Machine.
- Zero Hidden Gibbons and zero Hidden Guerillas, but just because they would be GRBS.

* provided as is

I think I'm pretty much done designing my cube. I've hit the point where I'm basically never going "i should change this" and instead I'm just going "this might not work but i need to playtest it first".

I assume there's a point where we need to stop altering our submission and say "this is the final iteration that I am submitting to the contest"?
Yeah, I had to stop myself from continually fixing it because I was using it as a constant distraction from work!

@japahn, I'm really digging the Total War cube -- great writeup too! I'm only sad you didn't include a pet favorite card of mine,

...and the name is cute.