General CBS

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also be careful with combinations of strenghts/weaknesses which makes a color garbage. Green could do without creature destruction because its creatures where the biggest, cheapest, and so on. Sadly, this broke down when wotc decided to make creatures stronger overall in all colors.
I mean... mono green is a tier 1 (maybe tier 1.5) deck in the current Standard meta and it runs a spicy creature destruction spell ;)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It is strong because it has creature destruction unlike in the old days. I cannot imagine that the deck would be strong enough without the creature destruction.
I agree, but everything's connected. You can't increase the power of nongreen creatures (one of green's original strengths) without compensating for it. While green is still the color of big natural stats, clearly WotC compensated the color by giving it some much needed creature interaction.

Also be careful with combinations of strenghts/weaknesses which makes a color garbage. Green could do without creature destruction because its creatures where the biggest, cheapest, and so on. Sadly, this broke down when wotc decided to make creatures stronger overall in all colors.
Good point! Strengths and weaknesses, but no sweet combos or glaring holes.

I have a rough outline, but have to feel things out a bit. The Pokemon have to lead you to what's flavorfully right. Obviously the fight mechanic has to go into the Fighting color. Electric got counter spells because it had the fewest creatures by far, so there's room for it to be the spells color. Things like that.
I agree, but everything's connected. You can't increase the power of nongreen creatures (one of green's original strengths) without compensating for it. While green is still the color of big natural stats, clearly WotC compensated the color by giving it some much needed creature interaction.
I do like this. I'm not big on how pushed that fight is, but the idea of leveling out the pie is probably good. Again, glaring holes are a problem. Probably contributes to blue's old dominance. Every color had a comparatively massive hole in the card selection department. While it was a strength of blue, it was exacerbated by every other color being stuck in a pit.

Note that in the old days blue was often not strong as mono color. It was/is great in card drawing and stealing. They shit the bed when they added strong creatures to blue. Also some mistakes were made by letting blue be the artifact color ally instead of the new kiddo red.

The feeling I have with the post 8th edition sets is that the power level of creatures went way up, were previously the spells were ridiculous strong. The outcome in constructed was combo, but in draft it was beat each other up with small creatures. For drafts it meant that there was no removal check, since you always had a few turns to find your removal or play your own table-turner. For which the opponent then had multiple turns to answer/counterplay. This is desired gameplay for me. Drafting recent sets has much quicker games and way to many removal checks for my liking.

I keep forgetting that they added Fairy after I stopped playing Pokemon. :p

When you say that Dark, Fairy, Psychic, and Steel are "special" mana types, what exactly does that mean?

I honestly think that giving White stuff like Duress or Inquisition of Kozilek in a Planar Chaos cube would make quite a lot of sense thematically, given that White already gets stuff like Nevermore. It'd be a very authoritarian interpretation of White, but I don't think it'd fall outside of the color's general themes.

Then again, I also think that Fight spells should have been primarily in Red, though, so what do I know?

When you say that Dark, Fairy, Psychic, and Steel are "special" mana types, what exactly does that mean?
Maybe I'll make a thread soon...
I honestly think that giving White stuff like Duress or Inquisition of Kozilek in a Planar Chaos cube would make quite a lot of sense thematically, given that White already gets stuff like Nevermore. It'd be a very authoritarian interpretation of White, but I don't think it'd fall outside of the color's general themes.
Yu-Gi-Oh has
The Forceful Sentry
Spell
Look at your opponent's hand. Select 1 card among them and return it to his/her Deck. The Deck is then shuffled.
Which feels rather White.

Yes, that's the point. I kinda redid this for my cube, kept fight effects out and kept greens creatures clearly above the rest.

Just look at the level of effort put into this cube:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/blog/ancienttimes/0

I have come across it a number of times, and always thought it was a really cool one, but I had never seen the blog.
I like the “no search your library for anything”

Very easy to implement. It has downsides of course but it should be possible to create a fun cube even with no fetches and tutors even though they normally help Brainstorm-like cards and combo pieces.

Just look at the level of effort put into this cube:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/blog/ancienttimes/0
Man, that's cool. I'm not big on reading, but you know people are loving it. They've got 56 followers.

How do we recruit this person? ;)
I like the “no search your library for anything”

Very easy to implement. It has downsides of course but it should be possible to create a fun cube even with no fetches and tutors even though they normally help Brainstorm-like cards and combo pieces.
I often want to cut searching, tokens, and any kind of counter that goes on a permanent. Get rid of any extra actions.
I would miss the land search ramp effects in green though
Yeah... Unfortunately, if you want to maintain green's ramp identity, it all comes down to elves at that point.

@Velrun
https://cubecobra.com/cube/playtest/zmqw

3 of each common, 2 of each uncommon, 1 of each R/M. Super incomplete, but the draft format is set up as 11C 3U 1R+. Your post about retail stuff got me thinking if my Pokemon idea should be set up as a set rather than a cube. This is a test of concept. There's way too much removal, themes are barely fleshed out, but it seems obvious to me that it will work pretty well.

Basically the layout so far was I looked at a pauper cube, got bored, and transferred in a bunch of stuff from one of my Eldrazi lists. Left out anything expensive (Eldrazi titans) because the density of commons seems like a good opportunity to keep this kind of list budget. Expensive cards are likely to be power outliers, anyways.

EDIT: The list is blacker now.

Last edited:
Thought: Thrivings too good?

Look at Evolving Wilds. I consider it a great common fixer. You can play it in your XY colored deck and get X land or Y land. Simple.

Look at a Thriving land. It's a flexible gate, right? You can play the Z colored Thriving and get Xz or Yz in your XY colored deck.

Is that too flexible?