Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

I like choice cards

View attachment 5560View attachment 5561

Not exactly Demonic Pact
Not exactly Rankle, Master of Pranks
Not exactly Captive Audience
Not exactly Garth One-Eye

But something else. On the backside it is an overpowered Vampire Nighthawk
That's exactly what rubs me completely the wrong way about this card.
"Oh, you really liked Rankle.."
"Oh, everyone loves Vampire Nighthawk" (A 20-year old design by now..)

"Okay! Let's just glom all of that together onto this big freakish mess of a card." Like...no, this is a freakish mess of a card now. I think I'll keep my Rankle.

washaway.jpg

This is a pretty cool card. I'd consider playing it if it was templated like Mystical Dispute instead of Cleave.

unhallowedphalanx.jpg

Sure. Why not.

It's going to be a house in Limited, especially since it looks like "toughness matters" is a subtheme.

It would have to be very different to be green. I'm just appreciating the continued support for white discard. this can replace or be run alongside seasoned hallowblade. I'm tipping towards replace.
I'm also happy about the white discard support! It really helps tie the color into graveyard shenanigans that it used to not be good at despite having some decent payoffs.

I think as far as Fleeting Spirit VS Seasoned Hallowblade is concerned, the Spirit is better against spells and the Hallowblade is better against creatures. Spirit can avoid Enchantments, Exile-Based removal, -X/-X effects, and Bounce, while Seasoned Hallowblade always trade without needing mana for activation and dodge "destroy" effects without having to leave combat.

I've never been a Seasoned Hallowblade fan, but the fact that I like Fleeting Spirit (which is likely a slightly worse card) makes me think I should try them both. I have a feeling I'm going to like Fleeting Spirit more because it's an anti-spell control card and not an anti-creature card, but I'm not sure. I just remember finding Seasoned Hallowblade boring in my Basri Ket brawl deck.

View attachment 5570
:oops: I think I'm in love. The utility, the end game punch, the self-mill synergy, the fixing. wow.
How did I miss this was a mana dork lol.

I don't like how it specifies needing creatures in the yard instead of caring about normal threshold or delirium or something, I think that makes this card a lot worse than some of the other "Tarmogoyf" variants we've seen over the last couple of years. I don't know if being a mana dork makes up for that, but I think this is likely a worthwile test for people who can spare the space.

oldrutstein.jpg

I like this design and the fact that it always provides a little bit of value. It is unfortunate that it doesn't have reminder text for any of the tokens.

optimisticinitiate.jpg

Optimistic Initiate said:
Optimistic Initiate
W
Creature - Human Warlock
Training (Whenever this creature attacks with another creature with greater power, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

2W, Remove two +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
1/2
This is a good one drop, even without the Disenchant ability. I like how it gets bigger when attacking with your 2/1s, 3/3s, and so on. It seems really good with Porcelain Legionnare. I think I want to try this for sure.

this card seems very relevant in BO3 standard for the next couple years
EDIT: also probably does work in the Black Cube @Brad
I don't run any +1 with tempo ETBs unless they have a drawback or are higher up in the curve to deserve it.
View attachment 5576
This leg of the cycle is a noxious gearhulk variant that can potentially boop a planeswalker or some other corner case involving counters. Fairly meh, but alright.
Like this one. Finally some mild graveyard hate that doesn't have a bunch of OP effects tacked on. Just an under statted dude who will affect the board and the yard.
gonna walk back my previous statement about texty cards, i think i’m biased because i tend to just ignore cards that i can’t be arsed to read regardless of how good they are
I don't read DFCs. You guys were excited about one a few pages back and I was totally lost.

oldrutstein.jpg

I like this design and the fact that it always provides a little bit of value. It is unfortunate that it doesn't have reminder text for any of the tokens.
The solid block of text (without reminder text as mentioned) over 55 words long causes me to really wrinkle my nose. I really think they could use a variant of their choose one templating to make this sort of effect much easier to read.

All this talk of textbox length has me considering performing a round of elegant-ifying.