Hahahaha, that's priceless!Gotta love that quality control with the set title on that image.
Yeah, this was a major plot point in previous Innistrad sets. Notably, however, Sorin created Avacyn as a caretaker because he didn't trust the predators of Innistrad to restrain themselves. These two sets are basically proving Sorin was right.Werewolves also subsist on diets that rely on food that relies on sunlight....
Full scale ecological extinction is not sustainable for any predator. That was like one of Sorin's whole shticks. The proverbial hunting licenses etc.
First up, here are some things you can expect:
• The following counter types: bloodline, croak, invitation, judgment, omen, slime, and suspect
• A new mechanic that removes something never removed before
• A popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted
• A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure
• A card that makes Red Dragon Illusion creature tokens with flying and haste
• A mechanic that first appeared as a faction mechanic returns
• A new legendary creature card that combines two characters that previously each had their own legendary creature card
• A new card that lets you cast certain cards off the top of your library
• A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic
• A legendary character returns, but now as a Vampire
Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• “Choose a number between 0 and 13.”
• “with mana value less than or equal to the number of Vampires you control”
• “If it’s red, you may cast it this turn.”
• “Zombies you control have flying.”
• “At the beginning of your upkeep, any opponent may sacrifice a creature.”
• “Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent”
• “twice that many of those tokens are created instead.”
• “Whenever a Human you control dies,”
• “equal to the number of permanents you control that are Spirits and/or enchantments.”
• “Then if you control exactly thirteen permanents,”
Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
• Creature – Human Ranger Werewolf
• Creature – Angel Soldier
• Creature – Zombie Scorpion
• Creature – Serpent Egg
• Creature – Eye Horror
• Legendary Creature – Human Peasant
• Legendary Creature – Spirit Warlock
• Legendary Creature – Slug Horror
• Legendary Creature – Kraken Horror
• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble (two new ones)
"A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic"
Wow, okay, now I can't wait for the spoilers. What could that be? There is Persist vs. Undying. MaRo recently said again and again, that R&D doesn't want to build sets with -1/-1 counters anymore, at least for standard. So, if we got a counter twist, we needed something that takes a minus mechanic and turns it into a plus mechanic ... bu wither/infect make no sense. Maybe it's a double mirror, like "you draw" becomes "opponent discards" or something ... but I really can't imagine which mechanic it could be.
What, should every card just use charge counters?Just what every paper player wanted. Even more tedious, and likely useless beyond this set, counters to keep track of. Can I get a barf emoji?
What, should every card just use charge counters?
I think flavored counters on individual cards are cool, such as page counters on Mindmaze Tome, ember counters on Smoldering Egg, Slumber counters on Arixmethes, mining counters on Gemstone Mine and so on. They make cards a little more interesting without meaningfully increasing complexity.
I'd be willing to bet these counters are all just simple flavored tracking counters, most or all of which will be contained to the card(s) that make them. Even if there are cards which throw around counters, I think it will be more along the line of Sludge Monster and Slime Counters as a way to track targets without memory issues.
These are fine as long as they're not keyword counters.