Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

Werewolves also subsist on diets that rely on food that relies on sunlight....

Full scale ecological extinction is not sustainable for any predator. That was like one of Sorin's whole shticks. The proverbial hunting licenses etc.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Gotta love that quality control with the set title on that image.
Hahahaha, that's priceless!

Werewolves also subsist on diets that rely on food that relies on sunlight....

Full scale ecological extinction is not sustainable for any predator. That was like one of Sorin's whole shticks. The proverbial hunting licenses etc.
Yeah, this was a major plot point in previous Innistrad sets. Notably, however, Sorin created Avacyn as a caretaker because he didn't trust the predators of Innistrad to restrain themselves. These two sets are basically proving Sorin was right.

Yeah so this doesn’t have to be the spoiler thread. I just didn’t know what to call the ‘announcement’ that we now have a spoiler date.

If a mod wants to change the name of the thread, fine by me <3

And yes, Sorin was right all along ever since the original Innistrad set (or way before actually, lorewise)

First up, here are some things you can expect:
• The following counter types: bloodline, croak, invitation, judgment, omen, slime, and suspect
A new mechanic that removes something never removed before
• A popular and powerful creature card from an Innistrad set gets reprinted
A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure
• A card that makes Red Dragon Illusion creature tokens with flying and haste
• A mechanic that first appeared as a faction mechanic returns
• A new legendary creature card that combines two characters that previously each had their own legendary creature card
• A new card that lets you cast certain cards off the top of your library
A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic
• A legendary character returns, but now as a Vampire

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• “Choose a number between 0 and 13.”
• “with mana value less than or equal to the number of Vampires you control”
• “If it’s red, you may cast it this turn.”
• “Zombies you control have flying.”
• “At the beginning of your upkeep, any opponent may sacrifice a creature.”
• “Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent”
• “twice that many of those tokens are created instead.”
• “Whenever a Human you control dies,”
• “equal to the number of permanents you control that are Spirits and/or enchantments.”
• “Then if you control exactly thirteen permanents,”

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:

• Creature – Human Ranger Werewolf
• Creature – Angel Soldier
• Creature – Zombie Scorpion
• Creature – Serpent Egg
• Creature – Eye Horror
• Legendary Creature – Human Peasant
• Legendary Creature – Spirit Warlock
• Legendary Creature – Slug Horror
• Legendary Creature – Kraken Horror
• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble (two new ones)

hmm

"A new mechanic that removes something never removed before"

What could that be? He says a mechanic, and I can't imagin a whole mechanic will remove emblems.

"A new artifact token, along the lines of Clue, Food and Treasure"

Cubers rejoice, that could be a cool addition.

"A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic"

Wow, okay, now I can't wait for the spoilers. What could that be? There is Persist vs. Undying. MaRo recently said again and again, that R&D doesn't want to build sets with -1/-1 counters anymore, at least for standard. So, if we got a counter twist, we needed something that takes a minus mechanic and turns it into a plus mechanic ... bu wither/infect make no sense. Maybe it's a double mirror, like "you draw" becomes "opponent discards" or something ... but I really can't imagine which mechanic it could be.

I'm honestly most interested in the returning faction mechanic. Hopefully it isn't just something like "Coven is showing up again!"

My guess? Vampires are going to get Spectacle. Or Bloodthirst, I guess, but Spectacle fits better with what Vampires got in MID.

I hope the "combined" legendaries are going to be Alena and Halana, and I suspect that the new Vampire is Katilda.

"A new mechanic which is a mirror of an already existing mechanic"

Wow, okay, now I can't wait for the spoilers. What could that be? There is Persist vs. Undying. MaRo recently said again and again, that R&D doesn't want to build sets with -1/-1 counters anymore, at least for standard. So, if we got a counter twist, we needed something that takes a minus mechanic and turns it into a plus mechanic ... bu wither/infect make no sense. Maybe it's a double mirror, like "you draw" becomes "opponent discards" or something ... but I really can't imagine which mechanic it could be.

Clearly it's going to be a keyworded version of Meglonoth's ability.

(Standard) Game Play trumps all other concerns but I don't disagree with you at all. We don't need more shit to keep track of in a game of Magic. We don't need MORE corner cases in the Comprehensive Rules, we need less. Mein Gott.

What can the new token in the food/clue/treasure family be? That trio already represents the three most basic units of currency in MTG. Branching out a bit, though, there are some other interesting benefits that a cracked artifact token could grant:

Put a +1/+1 token on target creature
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn
Deal 1 damage to any target
Target player loses 2 life
Target player mills 3 cards
Create a 9/9 blue Kraken creature token

Any of those would seem pretty reasonable to me.

Just what every paper player wanted. Even more tedious, and likely useless beyond this set, counters to keep track of. Can I get a barf emoji?
What, should every card just use charge counters?

I think flavored counters on individual cards are cool, such as page counters on Mindmaze Tome, ember counters on Smoldering Egg, Slumber counters on Arixmethes, mining counters on Gemstone Mine and so on. They make cards a little more interesting without meaningfully increasing complexity.

I'd be willing to bet these counters are all just simple flavored tracking counters, most or all of which will be contained to the card(s) that make them. Even if there are cards which throw around counters, I think it will be more along the line of Sludge Monster and Slime Counters as a way to track targets without memory issues.

These are fine as long as they're not keyword counters.

85wdoh5luiu71.png

Theme Booster packaging! I really like the look of the vampires in this set. The Vampire on the 5-color "Vampires" theme booster kind of looks like Jenna Coleman, the actress who played Clara Oswold in Doctor Who.

I don't think the "Vampires" booster being 5-color is any indication of vampires being common in every color in this set. At most we might see a rare for each color and an extension into a third color for a couple of uncommons. The Werewolves in Midnight Hunt also had a 5-color theme booster, despite only having three black cardss and a single rare in White and Blue (that each transformed into a Red and Green card). Vampires, not needing to be double faced and having several partially W and U aligned legendary characters might be slightly more abundant in colors other than Red and Black, but I don't think this will be a "vampires are everywhere in every color" set.

I think it's more likely that this set has some "Old gods of Innistrad" resurfacing to crash Olivia's wedding. I saw a speculation post on MTGS postulating an elder god cycle because of some cards referencing wierd god characters, such as Lier, Disciple of the Drowned and a weird story about "the coiled one," who apparently is a real being without a card. I think this would be an interesting development for the story of Innistrad, and a nice way to continue some of the cosmic horror themes from Eldritch Moon without needing to bring back the "eldrazi ending the world" storyline. It would be nice to have strange elder gods influencing the actions of Innistrad in the future, don't you think?

What, should every card just use charge counters?

I think flavored counters on individual cards are cool, such as page counters on Mindmaze Tome, ember counters on Smoldering Egg, Slumber counters on Arixmethes, mining counters on Gemstone Mine and so on. They make cards a little more interesting without meaningfully increasing complexity.

I'd be willing to bet these counters are all just simple flavored tracking counters, most or all of which will be contained to the card(s) that make them. Even if there are cards which throw around counters, I think it will be more along the line of Sludge Monster and Slime Counters as a way to track targets without memory issues.

These are fine as long as they're not keyword counters.

It's mostly unnecessary complexity to me. There usually isn't enough being added in gameplay quality to be worth inclusion in most cases. The non-creatures you listed are less egregious due to fewer interactions with other counter types, but I dislike things like one off representative counters in cube because they become tedious to track in paper. Like when you have an evergreen mechanic like +1/+1 counters that's also requires physical representation on a board.

From my experience the fewer additional gameplay elements that need to be tracked the better. They're often more trouble than they're worth for players that aren't intimately familiar with your cube.

Counters.PNG
Very interesting. This sounds promising. They are already spoiling some of the mechanics of the set. Some people will not like this but I really enjoyed Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths and the counter mechanic. As long as they print cut-out counters on paper like they did last time, fine by me!

Removes.PNG
The go-to is emblems. However I don't think it's emblems when it's an actual mechanic. If it were on a single card in the set, then it could have been emblems.

Token.PNG
YES! I love these types of cards although I felt like Food should have cost 1 to sacrifice (and then a few cards in Eldraine should be balanced accordingly.) I can't wait to see what new type of Treasure, Clue and Food token we'll get. Appearently Shard was not part of this family enough to be mentioned.

Faction.PNG
No idea what this could be. Proliferate? (Phyrexia in Mirrodin Besieged)

Planeswalkers.PNG
Planeswalkers
- or -
Vampires

Mirror.PNG
Very interesting. They previously did this in original Innistrad with Persist from Shadowmoor -> Undying. The flavor on Shadowmoor was Lorwyn transformed into Shadowmoor (An event that happens every 300 years) via The Great Aurora. Everything turned to darker varsion of themselves and the creatures are locked into an life-and-death status quo. On Innistrad the undying mechanic reflects the creatures' ability to never truly die and get "The Blessed Sleep". They consider this undying ability a curse and because it deprives them of the blessing.

It could be the mirrored proliferate? Remove?

Vampire.PNG
Katilda. That's my guess. Crimson Vow is about the wedding between Olivia Voldaren and her victim. The storyline in Midnight Hunt ended with Olivia stealing Katilda against her will. Read more about that here:
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/mtg-lore.3207/post-107700

Last edited: