Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

I think we've had cards to exile every type of card from every single zone, except from the command zone and (obviously) exile itself. Since this is a mechanic in a retail set, we can rule out messing with the command zone, so we can basically rule out exiling at all. This means we're removing something else than a card, so a bit of card text, maybe? Or cards from a deck, in the sense that they don't return to your opponent's deck until after the match (possibly meaning they have to sideboard those cards in a best of >1 match?)?

I like velrun's idea of reverse proliferate. It both removes things in a way that hasn't happened before and is an inversion of a prior faction mechanic. Also conveniently removes poison counters for inscho :)

But there's no card that removes a card from the absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever-zone.

@Zoss's hunch seems plausible, but it doesn't feel like the right set for it. Removing parts of the text would make more sense in Kamigawa Cyberpunk Neon Lights or whatever it's called.

I could be wrong but I don't think they mean "exile" when they say remove. I think they would use the word exile in that case.

Maybe the mechanic is removing a creature type, explicitly the creature type vampire. That could showcase the healing from vampirism, you know, like removing the curse, turning back to human. That would be a way to have vampires in every color feel less weird (the vampire theme booster is 5-color oafter all), it would generate an interesting tension, since sometimes you might want the vampire creature type, but maybe also the benefit you'd get from healing?

The only thing that makes me not believe in my own story is: Why wouldn't they just use transform on Innistrad?

I think we are getting "Reverse Miracle" mechanic, a-la... 1635295285179.png

And there's also the new Stranger Things card: 1635295391576.png

It's very much tied to Innistrad and I feel like it's been telegraphed for several years now...I keep waiting for it..

Kinda just feels right? We'll see!!

Suncleanser is bad at removing your own poison counters, though.

It's possible, but only on very specific board states. Like "you somehow get Suncleanser to enter the battlefield on your opponent's side of the field and every creature has shroud" specific.

It doesn’t matter. Removing poison counters is out of the debate because it has been done before and the statement is “A mechanic that removes something never removed before.

This also means no exiling. MARO is always very careful with his choices of words. He always leaves something out (not telling the full story) but he never changes words. Unless this time is the exception.

I have a hunch that the "removal of something never removed before" mechanic is going to be similar to Override as introduced in this custom set: https://amp.reddit.com/r/custommagic/comments/eb5sou/cyberpunk_set_mechanics_override_initialize/

It feels like it would play nicely into the modal themes that WotC has been pushing while also being a way for them to stretch the bounds of what's acceptable to do mechanically, which has also been a theme since Ikoria.

I claim victory! Though I agree that it would have been a better fit in Kamaigawa 2.

Dang it, the reprinted mechanic was Exploit.

I'm not sure how I feel about Blood tokens, honestly — they feel like they're less likely to show up on new planes than, say, Food.

Blood is cool mechanically. I just know that we're probably only ever going to see those tokens in this set.

Is it just me, or is this probably going to be the last Innistrad set? They kinda got rid of the sun.

EDIT:

sigardassummons.jpg

Now this is a +1/+1 counter payoff.

EDIT EDIT: And the fact that Disturbed creatures seem to turn into auras in this set is... interesting.

Reactions: XRS