Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's just another kicker variant, similarly to overload. I am confused why they need different names for essentially the same mechanic.
MaRo has gone over this in his "everything is kicker" explanation. The problem is that kicker is too broad, and it helps the flavor and design of a set when a more narrow variant is used. See here (scroll down to Kicked When You're Down). Note, this was written in 2007! And people are still asking the question: "Why isn't this kicker?" Point proven, I think.

Forsythe also wrote a funny article about kicker in that same week.

grolnoktheomnivorep.jpg

P R A I S E__T H E__M I L L__F R O G

MaRo has gone over this in his "everything is kicker" explanation. The problem is that kicker is too broad, and it helps the flavor and design of a set when a more narrow variant is used. See here (scroll down to Kicked When You're Down). Note, this was written in 2007! And people are still asking the question: "Why isn't this kicker?" Point proven, I think.

Forsythe also wrote a funny article about kicker in that same week.
No point not proven. It could be that it is more flavorful (Is it really? If you have to use a name of the mechanic to sell flavor you are doing something wrong). However, it brings unnecessary mental load. In standard it won't matter at all, but for cubes or eternal formats it is an unnecessary burden.
They probably make several excuses but the real problem is that they want to have X new mechanics every set and naming the same thing differently helps...
I rather have less mechanics and a twist on a old one (or restrictions if the set asks for it) than new useless names.

I really like Dig Up, but cleave is such a weird way to do that mechanic. Square brackets look pretty garish in a MTG text box.

The point about kicker is that it was a too-broad mechanic to begin with. It swallowed up all the flavor space that variations on it can be, just looming over as "why not just use this flavorless version instead?"

First batch of cards is throwing a heavy tribal vibe, which probably reduces the useful prospects at the end of the day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Hopefully they'll print a few Cleave cards in the set that show that it does stuff that you can't do with Kicker (like how Overload got Damn and Mind Rake). I can imagine something like...

Wow Such Board Wipe - 5WW
Sorcery
Cleave 2WW
Destroy all creatures [your opponents control].

Or

Raving Rave Times - 1R
Instant
Cleave 2U
Draw two cards, then discard a card [at random].

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No point not proven.
Uh... wow. There's a lot to pick apart here. Just because it works for you (or you think it works for you), doesn't mean it's better if they called everything kicker.
It could be that it is more flavorful (Is it really?
Yes. The word "kicker" conveys no flavor at all. It's a word that mechanically describes what happens (using this meaning of the word: an extra clause in a contract), but it doesn't even convey a lot of information, just that there is someway to have the card do... more? Compare this, for example, to "entwine", which literally is just kicker. The word "entwine", however, conveys that you are winding or twisting something together (in this case two different effects).
If you have to use a name of the mechanic to sell flavor you are doing something wrong).
I hard disagree with this notion, both the conclusion, and the way you try are throwing mechanic names under the bus. The thing is, WotC isn't using just the name of a mechanic to sell the flavor, it's also using the name of the mechanic to sell the flavor, in conjunction with other things. First and foremost the way the mechanic works, obviously, but also through art direction, for example. MaRo has talked a lot about grokkability, in particular in this article, from which I will quote this important section:
Grok? Yes, vocabulary time. The word “grok” comes from science fiction author Robert Heinlein’s famous novel Stranger in a Strange Land. In the book the term is defined as such: “Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed – to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science – and it means as little to us (because we are from Earth) as color means to a blind man.”

Over time the word has come to mean several slightly different things. The usage that I’m most interested in is the idea that people understand something so intimately that they are not even conscious why they understand it. To grok something by this definition means that you understand it in a way that is more intuitive than intellectual. You get the essence of what it means, but mostly because it just feels right – not because you’ve been formally taught anything about it.

Grokking things is an important concept in understanding perception (and thus in card design). While people clearly can consciously learn things, much of what defines their comprehension comes from things that they aren’t consciously aware of. There are a number of reasons for this.
What this comes down to, is that every little bit that helps players to more readily 'grok' a card, makes that card easier to play. There are a lot of things WotC can do to make a card more grokkable, and one of those things is using mechanic names that match with what the mechanic does. The problem is that that only works if the mechanic isn't too broad, which is one of the points MaRo makes in my previously linked article.
However, it brings unnecessary mental load. In standard it won't matter at all, but for cubes or eternal formats it is an unnecessary burden.
Debatable. Remember that kicker is very broad, and doesn't convey a lot of information beyond knowing the card has some additional cost anyway. You don't know what cost (could be mana, or sacrificing something, or paying life, etc.), and you don't know what the benefit is going to be. Heck, there are even actual kicker cards where paying the kicker removes a negative quality rather than adding something (looking at you Skizzik). In short, the keyword kicker itself doesn't reduce mental load by a lot to begin with. And sure, we can't expect people to know every keyword by heart, but if someone does know a mechanic (that is not kicker), they can grasp what that card does a lot quicker than with kicker. E.g. if I see 'entwine' on a card, I immediately know that it's a modal spell with two options, and that I can choose both if I pay the entwine cost. Had it been kicker, I would have had to read the entire card to see what the kicker does.
They probably make several excuses but the real problem is that they want to have X new mechanics every set and naming the same thing differently helps...
That's a cynic take that ignores all the arguments (which you call excuses) in favor of not using kicker (or split cards) for almost everything. Even if you are right, and having unique mechanics actually sells sets (which is a debatable statement, looking at the success of Time Spiral, Dominaria, and Modern Horizons, just to name a few sets (years or even decades apart) that feature a lot of reused mechanics), isn't it a good thing if Magic sells better? Obviously that's a different discussion, but I kind of hate the argument "this is just WotC trying to sell more cards" when we are talking about a design/development choice that doesn't even increase the price of Magic. There's lots of things this argument can be applied to (like the mythic rarity, or the Universes Beyond line), but unique mechanic names isn't one of them in my mind.
I rather have less mechanics and a twist on a old one (or restrictions if the set asks for it)
I mean, this is a fair sentiment to have...
than new useless names.
...but that doesn't mean unique mechanic names that are subsets of kicker (or split cards) are useless. Sorry for the rant, nothing personal, apparently it's just something I care about :)

square brackets muddying up text boxes are up there too
For what it's worth, I do think 'cleave' looks pretty ugly.

Uh... wow. There's a lot to pick apart here. Just because it works for you (or you think it works for you), doesn't mean it's better if they called everything kicker.

Yes. The word "kicker" conveys no flavor at all. It's a word that mechanically describes what happens (using this meaning of the word: an extra clause in a contract), but it doesn't even convey a lot of information, just that there is someway to have the card do... more? Compare this, for example, to "entwine", which literally is just kicker. The word "entwine", however, conveys that you are winding or twisting something together (in this case two different effects).

I hard disagree with this notion, both the conclusion, and the way you try are throwing mechanic names under the bus. The thing is, WotC isn't using just the name of a mechanic to sell the flavor, it's also using the name of the mechanic to sell the flavor, in conjunction with other things. First and foremost the way the mechanic works, obviously, but also through art direction, for example. MaRo has talked a lot about grokkability, in particular in this article, from which I will quote this important section:

What this comes down to, is that every little bit that helps players to more readily 'grok' a card, makes that card easier to play. There are a lot of things WotC can do to make a card more grokkable, and one of those things is using mechanic names that match with what the mechanic does. The problem is that that only works if the mechanic isn't too broad, which is one of the points MaRo makes in my previously linked article.

Debatable. Remember that kicker is very broad, and doesn't convey a lot of information beyond knowing the card has some additional cost anyway. You don't know what cost (could be mana, or sacrificing something, or paying life, etc.), and you don't know what the benefit is going to be. Heck, there are even actual kicker cards where paying the kicker removes a negative quality rather than adding something (looking at you Skizzik). In short, the keyword kicker itself doesn't reduce mental load by a lot to begin with. And sure, we can't expect people to know every keyword by heart, but if someone does know a mechanic (that is not kicker), they can grasp what that card does a lot quicker than with kicker. E.g. if I see 'entwine' on a card, I immediately know that it's a modal spell with two options, and that I can choose both if I pay the entwine cost. Had it been kicker, I would have had to read the entire card to see what the kicker does.

That's a cynic take that ignores all the arguments (which you call excuses) in favor of not using kicker (or split cards) for almost everything. Even if you are right, and having unique mechanics actually sells sets (which is a debatable statement, looking at the success of Time Spiral, Dominaria, and Modern Horizons, just to name a few sets (years or even decades apart) that feature a lot of reused mechanics), isn't it a good thing if Magic sells better? Obviously that's a different discussion, but I kind of hate the argument "this is just WotC trying to sell more cards" when we are talking about a design/development choice that doesn't even increase the price of Magic. There's lots of things this argument can be applied to (like the mythic rarity, or the Universes Beyond line), but unique mechanic names isn't one of them in my mind.

I mean, this is a fair sentiment to have...

...but that doesn't mean unique mechanic names that are subsets of kicker (or split cards) are useless. Sorry for the rant, nothing personal, apparently it's just something I care about :)

For what it's worth, I do think 'cleave' looks pretty ugly.
Where to begin?

When not talking to someone in person it is harder to communicate. Sometimes a message gets lost, sometimes some information is suddenly added by the reader.
Nowhere did I say that the unique mechanics sell sets. I only said they wanted (or a better word, increased) the amount of "unique" mechanics: see pre 8th frame sets to somewhere after that. Why they want this I do not know.

You always have to read the card to see what it does, entwine, overload, kicker, or cleave.

Is entwine really harder then kicker? They even made kicker cards, I forgot which ones, which did exactly entwine. The argument that with kicker you do not know what it costs and does without reading the card holds for cleave as well.

The reason I stopped with the new sets was because my friends got confused with all the new mechanics. Especially, when there is no reminder text. For many of them the mental load of all the different keywords became too much. Hence a set cube. The problem with making something easier to Grok is that at some point making many different versions of the same grokable actually becomes ungrokable.

In programming naming is very important. But so is not having X different named functions which do the same.

For me the keyword cleave does not add anything to the vampire world. That is probably on me because Riptidelab is all I need. It is aptly named for what it does, but you still have to read the whole card to see what it does. Cleave actually makes you read the card twice with extra mental taxing to boot (keep the brackets in the first go, ah, remember, read it without brackets)! It would be cleaner/mentally easier (for me) as:
Search for a basic land and reveal.
Kicker: search for a a card instead and do not reveal.

Thing is all the specifically named mechanics don't do the same thing. Overload does one exactly specific subset of things that you do not have to read every time to know. With kicker you do, because it doesn't limit the designer to one specific mechanical shift. I can certainly appreciate mechanic overload, but kicker would not have been the solution to that, because then we would be reading every card every time to remember what specific kicker variant it is, rather than having mental shortcut words (which the specific mechanic name are for most people).

Like the only reason "X different named functions which do the same" even looks like a valid argument here is the exact point being made. Kicker covers too much without offering any actual guidance to the player nor any flavor to the set. It's a multi-purpose function that is awkward to use that should have been several clean and single-purpose functions.

Thing is all the specifically named mechanics don't do the same thing. Overload does one exactly specific subset of things that you do not have to read every time to know. With kicker you do, because it doesn't limit the designer to one specific mechanical shift. I can certainly appreciate mechanic overload, but kicker would not have been the solution to that, because then we would be reading every card every time to remember what specific kicker variant it is, rather than having mental shortcut words (which the specific mechanic name are for most people).

Like the only reason "X different named functions which do the same" even looks like a valid argument here is the exact point being made. Kicker covers too much without offering any actual guidance to the player nor any flavor to the set. It's a multi-purpose function that is awkward to use that should have been several clean and single-purpose functions.
They all do very similar things, with some small tweaks. Maybe kicker is broad, but having many different functions which are similar makes reading programming code a pain. Especially if you revisit the code for the first time after a while. Many times it is easier to code 2 lines which are easy to understand than to have 10 very similar, but just a tad different, functions. Costly mistakes are easily made by misremembering one of the functions.

They all do very similar things, with some small tweaks. Maybe kicker is broad, but having many different functions which are similar makes reading programming code a pain. Especially if you revisit the code for the first time after a while. Many times it is easier to code 2 lines which are easy to understand than to have 10 very similar, but just a tad different, functions. Costly mistakes are easily made by misremembering one of the functions.
Extremely used programs and many programmers disagree with you (Excel has 8 functions for just standard deviation variants rather than 1 that mashes those "tweaks" together). Because at the end of the day, things like this are really quite different, not so much "tweaks". You can have another opinion on that of course, but Cleave is very mechanically different to me than Overload and other "this could be kicker"

View attachment 5472

Why did they make Sorin so hot??
I think this is the first time we've seen him not in his armor and without his sword nearby or in his hand. I guess even Sorin lets loose a bit for a wedding.

Extremely used programs and many programmers disagree with you (Excel has 8 functions for just standard deviation variants rather than 1 that mashes those "tweaks" together). Because at the end of the day, things like this are really quite different, not so much "tweaks". You can have another opinion on that of course, but Cleave is very mechanically different to me than Overload and other "this could be kicker"

I think this is the first time we've seen him not in his armor and without his sword nearby or in his hand. I guess even Sorin lets loose a bit for a wedding.
You mean stdev.p, stdev, stdev.s and many others? I will not whine about excel, but this naming, and the minor difference is exactly what I mean by mistakes will be made...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Where to begin?

When not talking to someone in person it is harder to communicate. Sometimes a message gets lost, sometimes some information is suddenly added by the reader.
Nowhere did I say that the unique mechanics sell sets. I only said they wanted (or a better word, increased) the amount of "unique" mechanics: see pre 8th frame sets to somewhere after that. Why they want this I do not know.

You always have to read the card to see what it does, entwine, overload, kicker, or cleave.

Is entwine really harder then kicker? They even made kicker cards, I forgot which ones, which did exactly entwine. The argument that with kicker you do not know what it costs and does without reading the card holds for cleave as well.

The reason I stopped with the new sets was because my friends got confused with all the new mechanics. Especially, when there is no reminder text. For many of them the mental load of all the different keywords became too much. Hence a set cube. The problem with making something easier to Grok is that at some point making many different versions of the same grokable actually becomes ungrokable.

In programming naming is very important. But so is not having X different named functions which do the same.

For me the keyword cleave does not add anything to the vampire world. That is probably on me because Riptidelab is all I need. It is aptly named for what it does, but you still have to read the whole card to see what it does. Cleave actually makes you read the card twice with extra mental taxing to boot (keep the brackets in the first go, ah, remember, read it without brackets)! It would be cleaner/mentally easier (for me) as:
Search for a basic land and reveal.
Kicker: search for a a card instead and do not reveal.
I appreciate the thorough response, and I agree, communicating is much easier when it's done in person! I feel your pain, but if we are going to compare this to programming, kicker is like a function 'math' that just does everything math-related. That would make using it so hard that it's better to split the function into multiple functions that are more clearly defined (and named), like 'add', 'substract', 'multiply', and so forth. The only problem, as you well spotted, is that WotC has long had a policy of adding a lot of new mechanics in each new set. They should (and in fact do, nowadays; I can again point to Dominaria as a recent example) more often recycle mechanics, but we are talking about a game that is closing in on 30 years of existing. There are so many sets, and thus so many mechanics, that it becomes almost impossible to know every mechanic by heart.

On the flip side, if Magic would just be reusing existing mechanics over and over and over again, that would be problematic too, because it would grow boring. I think it's just the cost of having such a long-lasting card game. It is also something I myself am very aware off, and I periodically check the keywords in my cube. I dislike having a lot of insular mechanics that only appear on one or two cards (though I will include them if they really fit my cube super well), and I don't want to include cards without reminder text unless there are also a few cards in there with reminder text. So it's definitely something to keep in mind when building an environment, but still not a reason to just lump everything together under the same moniker imo.

I do not know how to post the vampire legendary. I like the abilities. It encourages attacking and is quite balanced. A bit mana wise expensive, a tad weak, but the ability is strong and fun

Actually, there is (not sure anymore about this) no subtract and no dividing by (definitely sure) as my professor told me when I asked what I did wrong on a exam. Only adding and multiplying. I divided by something instead of multiplying by 1/something...

Actually, there is (not sure anymore about this) no subtract and no dividing by (definitely sure) as my professor told me when I asked what I did wrong on a exam. Only adding and multiplying. I divided by something instead of multiplying by 1/something...
As a math person... your professor is full of shit.

I mean, they aren't actually wrong. It's just that making that distinction is unnecessarily pedantic, especially if you're just working with real numbers.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Correct. Technically, substraction is negative addition, and division is fractional multiplication. However:

math.jpg

There's a reason substraction and division (on the left) as a concept are a thing. They are far easier to parse than their alternatives (on the right). They're also functionally equivalent, so marking using one as wrong because you should have used the other seems like an extremely shitty thing to do, unless it was explicitly the stated intent of the exam question.

Yeah, they're effectively just some incredibly useful shorthand. Saying one is "right" and the other is "wrong" is even more pedantic than refusing to pass someone the salt until they specify that they're asking for sodium chloride.