Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

1636060190183.png

Odric nooooo

For real though, this seems pretty cool if you have a RW artifact beatdown/aggro strategy. It can potentially generate a lot of artifacts to power up metalcraft, affinity, etc etc. And of course opens up any discard synergies that deck might also be tapping into.

Like most Odric's, it's a real pain to read though.

I love all of these wedding cards. Inject them directly into my veins!
unholyofficiant.jpg

howlingmoon.jpg

This could be an interesting card for those of you that have a focus on spell velocity in your cubes — they go fast, you get wolves.

It reminds me of this thing:

Except easier to trigger outside of EDH.

EDIT: Odric (and the tiny number of non-Odric cards that feel the need to list a ton of keywords) make me feel like WotC should just cave and make "evergreen keyword" (or some analogous term) an actual rule thing that cards can reference.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
EDIT: Odric (and the tiny number of non-Odric cards that feel the need to list a ton of keywords) make me feel like WotC should just cave and make "evergreen keyword" (or some analogous term) an actual rule thing that cards can reference.
This sounds like a good idea UNLESS that list ever changes
and I think it would be better for the game if that list kinda got bigger.

1636064371760.png
This card (which is a bad idea) exemplifies the problem in microcosm. And yes, "legal in modern" is going to change a lot more often than "evergreen keyword list" but the frequency isn't the issue, it's the externality

Last edited:
Seems like an extremely narrow window of possibility for actually becoming a problem in the power department.
- has to have relevance over a long period because evergreen keywords are added very slowly relatively speaking (beyond standard timescales, which is their primary balancing focus)
- has to be designed in such a way that it becomes problematic in an eternal format if the evergreen keyword list does gets longer

Odric being able to peak out at one or two more blood tokens than the already extensive potential does not seem like a major issue, especially if that improvement is years down the line when the average card is probably slightly stronger anyways.

I think the major issue is memory problems with the list of evergreen keywords. I would guess not as many people as one might think can just list off every evergreen keyword, especially since they sometimes sunset them (prowess). You can probably intuit many of them, but I can see it being an issue.
https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Evergreen

I for example, forget that ward is now evergreen, and also that ability would have to somehow specify that only evergreen static abilities are to be counted (note that actions like "counter" are also evergreen keywords technically)

Last edited:
After a slow start to the spoilers, this set is pulling its weight. Even without any interest in double sided cards, there's enough here for me to put in a singles order that will be fun to add to the collection.

I see it as a sidegrade to Bygone Bishop. The newly spoiled card only triggers when a super small creature enters the battlefield. And only once each turn. In its advantage you are not gaining any extra stats but you do get to save {2} whenever you want to draw the card. It could be useful but you are narrowing down the list to only super small creatures instead of “Put this into your white aggro deck.”

I see it as a sidegrade to Bygone Bishop. The newly spoiled card only triggers when a super small creature enters the battlefield. And only once each turn. In its advantage you are not gaining any extra stats but you do get to save {2} whenever you want to draw the card. It could be useful but you are narrowing down the list to only super small creatures instead of “Put this into your white aggro deck.”
An advantage over Bygone Bishop is that Welcoming Vampire triggers off creatures that are not cast, including tokens. I like the idea that any repeat token producer now also draws a card.

I don’t like how most triggered abilities are limited to once per turn, either explicitly or by checking at the end step. Whilst I appreciate that it is necessary from a power standpoint, it lessens the opportunity for combos.

kayageisthunter.jpg

Not that I think this is a cube card for most, I just don't understand what is happening to Kaya. She had a pretty strong mechanical identity that matched her character, but now I just don't know. What happened to the whole ordeal at Ravnica? Did she suddenly get a knack for necromancy and decide that depriving the people of Innistrad of their blessed sleep and condemning them to unlife was in her wheelhouse?
I really like this card, which is paradoxically my biggest problem with it. I don't think I want card advantage engines to be this accessible in my format, and now I have to resist adding it.

I think you could probably make a case for having a mechanical grouping for evergreen keywords, maybe you could bold them on the cards or something so it's easier to distinguish, but that only works as long as you only add new ones and don't deprecate existing ones, which isn't very realistic. It does get somewhat ugly how these keyword soup cards don't work consistently with each other considering the sheer amount of text you have to read to actually parse it.

In my cube at least, the list of possible triggers is about the same for both creatures, and maybe even a bit bigger for the Vampire when counting tokens. My count of creatures CMC 3 and less and creatures power 2 or less are both about 125. I think for me the free draw once a turn on ETB is slightly better than the {2} draw on cast that might be repeatable in a turn; because the Vampire enables draw on things like creature recursion (major focus in my format), token generation, and flickering of creatures. But I can see formats where the bishop provides more benefits, so overall agree they are quite similar power level.

An advantage over Bygone Bishop is that Welcoming Vampire triggers off creatures that are not cast, including tokens. I like the idea that any repeat token producer now also draws a card.

I don’t like how most triggered abilities are limited to once per turn, either explicitly or by checking at the end step. Whilst I appreciate that it is necessary from a power standpoint, it lessens the opportunity for combos.

Full spoiler is here. It's not entirely updated on mythicspoiler yet, but you can eventually see them all here: http://mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html

From what I see so far:

"whenever you cast a noncreature spell, surveil 1" is a pretty nice little ability on a middling flier.
1636126031518.png

This is a nice split spell for people with self-bouncing themes
1636126468527.png

This is a cute lower powered white removal spell. The scry 1 is a nice bonus
1636126383064.png

This is a pretty good version of supernatural stamina
1636126618034.png

Full spoiler out. Didn't catch anything I'm interested in with the dump, except this skinny boy at common, who I'm impressed with for his rarity and that that means for design going forward more than anything.

MU-N1dDfHqL48_GApS1dxQtLEiDWjWXnikAg3J2bkrA.png

A terribly unimpressive set from a cube perspective imo, the least captivating Innistrad set to date from both a flavor perspective, a mechanical one, and a "make cool cards I'd want to cube with" POV. Getting my cards I'll be testing out ready while I wait for the that thread to go live, but it's my first time I'm eying fewer than 10 cards for my 720 cube in 5 years.

fearofdeath.jpg

Not too much exciting in the last batch, but this is a neat little spell.
sporecrawler.jpg

Not terribly noteworthy, I was just kind of impressed at the power level considering it's a common.
"whenever you cast a noncreature spell, surveil 1" is a pretty nice little ability on a middling flier.
really puts dragon rage's channeler into perspective huh

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm decidedly not in love with this set. The only mechanic I feel is fun enough to include is Blood tokens. Training is underwhelming and clashes with the mentor mechanic I already run. Cleave looks ugly. Daybound/nightbound we've talked about last set. Feedback I've read is that it doesn't play particularly well in paper either. Lantern Bearer is the only disturb card I'm eyeing, which is annoying, because that would make it another insular mechanic, which isn't great in cube. It is almost perfect support for ninjas though, so it might be worth it this time. Exploit was a big meh last time, and looks barely better this time around. Somehow it always plays worse than it looks, because the baseline for these cards is so abysmal when you don't have something worthwhile to sac.

Huh. It's over and I didn't love it. Very unexpected for an Innistrad set.
Me too. Twice. I'm almost always in love with new planes we've never seen before and return planes (so all Magic sets basically) but not this time. This feels almost as bland as both Return to Ravnica blocks.