Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Did anyone try this one? Is this fun / beatable / fair / playable?

Haven't tried it in cube, have played against it in Modern. If it comes down early ala Stoneforge the card is absolutely miserable to play against. There is so little interaction that actually works against it and such a limited window to deploy it. Every relevant keyword under the sun and it just hits like a truck as soon as it lands. It's damn near unbeatable without an O-ring type effect at parity. Doesn't flip the game if you're behind, but it will probably lock it up if you're ahead.

Ok guys, I have to questions for you guys. The first is: How would you make Equilibrium interesting?

Second, which cards come to mind as being similar archetype build-arounds?

They don't have to be old-school or enchantments, I just like this kind of effects.

Reactions: dbs
This discussion about Citadel is convenient as I was wondering about supporting it too!

Card's good at pretty much any power level, not sure you need to do anything to support it specifically.

In faster environments, I think it does need a bit of support. Casting it on turn 6 in a deck not meant to optimize it is going to be depressing. You probably won’t have the ressources (life) to make it pop.

So two obvious ways to help.
1. Cheat it out

2. Gain some life
Here is where I myself need help. What incidental life gain cards do you run to make Citadel (and Dark Confident and the like) more powerful?

I have

Mire Triton
Blood artist
Zulaport Cutthroat
Murderous Rider
Noxious Gearhulk
Professor Onyx

And would love some more!

I’ve been thinking about this card

I think I want to test it. What do you guys think?

Seems like a headache. Not so much because the card is too good, but more that you force the opponent to try and play the game without saying any numbers. The controller of Number Crunch is then going to be tasked with tallying all numbers, damage, life totals for the game. Just seems like it going to make the game more cumbersome.

This card reminds me of the one Halloween when I was a server at a bar in Philly, and I dressed as a mime. I spent the entire night serving people without speaking. My tables absolutely loved it, the gratuity flowed, but after a few minutes the novelty had worn off. I stayed in character, didn't speak to even my coworkers for 9 hours. I got home at 3AM. It was one of the most exhausting nights I've ever had. So yeah, do not want. :D

Honestly, I wonder if any of the "limit how you speak" cards would actually be fun in play. Like, I think Laughing Hyena could theoretically be a fun card, as long as everyone is in agreement that it only triggers if someone actually laughs?

Part of me also likes

But that's mostly because I'm a weirdo.

On the topic of un-cards...

This feels... interesting, especially if your cube has a pretty narrow power band and good fixing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On the topic of un-cards...

This feels... interesting, especially if your cube has a pretty narrow power band and good fixing.
In practice this means you get that 15th pick Gruul card or extra basic land your opponent had sitting in their sideboard in your hand, so you will be left with either an unplayable card or a relatively useless card. This is never going to be worth the {2}{U}{B} in cube.

In practice this means you get that 15th pick Gruul card or extra basic land your opponent had sitting in their sideboard in your hand, so you will be left with either an unplayable card or a relatively useless card. This is never going to be worth the {2}{U}{B} in cube.

Not if you also have THIS on the battlefield

All you gotta do is ask if the opponent if they remembered to get you a present with Peanut. If they answer yes, they are bound by that answer and must get you a present. If they answer no, they are not allowed to answer “yes” to Last-Minute Chopping.

Edit: Or maybe that cannot even answer “Yes” to the question if they do not have a present ready already. Either way you get what you want and all it requires is {3}{W}{W}{U}{B}, two cards and a combat step = EZ!

Last edited: