General Weekly Fun Q: Worst card to lose to & best to win with?

Spoiler season is not upon us so therefore it is time for another Weekly Fun Q.

What’s the worst card to lose to in a game of Magic? And what’s the best card to win with?

For me the worst card to lose to is a topdecked Banefire because it feels like I couldn’t prevent the loss from happening (although I know that is not strictly true.)

Bolas. My opponent could see it coming so I don’t feel like an unfair person. I feel clever for having included cycling cards, fog effects, sweepers and other tools.

What are your most wanted loss cards and favorite win cards?

—————-
Past Fun Q
—————-

2021 art:
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/weekly-fun-q-favorite-art-of-2021.3548/

Clothes & Christmas:
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/weekly-fun-q-which-magic-outfit-would-you-wear.3542/

Pet:
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/weekly-fun-q-which-creature-would-you-adopt-as-your-pet.3541/

Home:
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/weekly-fun-question-which-land-would-you-rather-live-in.3535/

Most hated: Ruin Crab and co.
Favorite wins: Lightning Bolt and co.
i am heavily biased and i’m not ashamed of that

EDIT: if we open it up to stuff that can only happen in EDH, my FAVORITE way to win is via Form of the Dragon in a Possibility Storm+Rule of Law/Arcane Lab lockdown

worst to lose to for me is probably any variant of a Storm win. It takes forever for them to maybe not even get there, and it's non-interactive the whole time.

Best to win with is... oof. that's quite the question. Today I will say

Worst to lose to: probably storm for me, too
Best to win with: slowly chipping damage with small creatures during the attack step, without “cheating” like unblockable creatures

And what about worst to win with and best to lose to? Next week? ;)

landofMordor

Administrator
Worst to lose to:
. You know that you'll win if you topdeck removal, but you also know you're dead to their attack, but the other player so rarely makes the attack because they are "playing it safe" which just sums up to misery.

Best to win with... I don't have a strong preference, but I always liked those moments in recent Constructed where something was clearly broken but the metagame hadn't caught up yet. You just get handed wins on a platter. Early days of Oko, Thief of Crowns and Omnath, Locus of Creation are the notable ones recently.

I'm the monster here, since I love to win with Storm. It makes the Jenny/Timmy in me happy as a clam. I'd definitely say that any Psychic Puppetry-powered engine is the best win-con.

I'm not exactly sure what lose-con I hate the most...

Worst:

This one tilts me a little bit every time. I think its because each card is colorless and super cheap so the win feels extremely disconnected from anything that was happening up until that point.

Best:

For each of your turns you get to feel like a mad scientist, combining creatures and non-creatures, tapping and untapping stuff, moving stuff in and out of the graveyard. And you win with combat damage!

Worst to lose to:
. You know that you'll win if you topdeck removal, but you also know you're dead to their attack, but the other player so rarely makes the attack because they are "playing it safe" which just sums up to misery.

Best to win with... I don't have a strong preference, but I always liked those moments in recent Constructed where something was clearly broken but the metagame hadn't caught up yet. You just get handed wins on a platter. Early days of Oko, Thief of Crowns and Omnath, Locus of Creation are the notable ones recently.
Worst to lose to:

Takes way too long to die to it.

Best to win with:

Nothing like winning a close game.
The two types of players.

EDIT: This almost feels like a political compass (I've read about them earlier today, there's some recency bias here):

What people want from winning could be measured on an axis from "Perfectly executed plan" to "Macguyver'ed win".
Perfectly executed plans look like combo decks, curving out, or just having your much stronger deck hand out the win. (I'm getting funchian vibes). A deck with Hidetsugu's Second Rite + Sorin Markov fits here, as does one that tries to get 7 bolts on the opponent.

"Macguyver'ed win" looks like the clutch Sign in Blood, the grindy race to the bottom, and less focused decks. Having the opponent at 10 from random damage and wishing for Hidetsugu's Second Rite fits here. Close games feel like they're more likely here, and this feels somewhat more interactive.

This can probably either be separated into more axis or have something else added. I can definitely see pros and cons to both, and problems if you go too far in one direction or the other. I'm wondering if there's a component of "How much you and your opponent contribute." A hard storm deck can be very much focused on what you do, and care little about what your opponent does. A grindy matchup with a lot of disruption cares about what both players do. Losing to Ajani's Pridemate above feels like a game where the outcome of the win is out of your hand. Sprout Swarm is predictable.

Would the axes: "Predictable vs Surprising" (7 Bolts vs Agro+Reach) and "Engineered vs Evolved" (Storm vs Midrange) make sense? Magic seems to have shifted away from certain quadrants.

Last edited:
I bet if you posted this on several forums you would get several powermax/fairmax cubers who would be interested :p
With powermax cube you risk only having powerful cards to put on the deck. I’d be more annoyed in a Riptide cube where I get three fetch lands put back because it’s okay to break singleton.