Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

Later, losers. :cool:

Here's a little life hack for you: Don't run or read DFCs or Planeswalkers.
I think Wanderer is pretty neat as a Control-y walker centered in white and I dig the rare land cycle for my ULD, but every card that has a flipped side I'm just completely ignoring at this point. Saga + DFC is more upkeep than its worth outside of draft. Same for anything that mentions modified but doesn't actually explain what that means.

Last edited:
Bro. My 1BBBB card isn't very good. I guess it gets a lot better if I ran walkers. The second two sacrifices are so likely to miss for me.
invokedespairp.jpg

Easy Onslaught add.
secludedcourtyard.jpg

I think all compleating Planeswalkers does is give the story higher stakes because it allows more characters who we care about to be at risk in any given setting.
Murder is always on the table, even if it might not feel that way. And I think it's more likely that they will make up some way to reverse phyresis than death. Melira might already be able to for all I know.
While I think calling this card broken is a stretch, this is probably one of the better Planeswalkers we've seen in general.
Magic has a lot of environments. Just so we're clear, I was speaking in the context of my own cube. I don't think she's going to be banned in Legacy, or necessarily even get played.

Bro. My 1BBBB card isn't very good. I guess it gets a lot better if I ran walkers. The second two sacrifices are so likely to miss for me.
invokedespairp.jpg

But two misses will equal:
“You sacrifice a creature and I draw two cards. Also take 4 dmg, please.”

If you strictly run 0 planeswalkers then I would not run the card no matter how good/bad/interesting it is because it would reference something that does not exist. Maybe you should include Liliana, Dreadhorde General as a 1-of planeswalker as a huge finisher?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
But two misses will equal:
“You sacrifice a creature and I draw two cards. Also take 4 dmg, please.”

If you strictly run 0 planeswalkers then I would not run the card no matter how good/bad/interesting it is because it would reference something that does not exist. Maybe you should include Liliana, Dreadhorde General as a 1-of planeswalker as a huge finisher?
But then Invoke Despair and the one planeswalker are likely to be in the same deck.

I can’t figure out if I find it intersting or bland, but:

To me it looks like Neon Dynesty has combined some mechanics to raise the floor of existing mechanics.

We had auras, equipments and counters. In Neon Dynesty we have modifications.

We had creature and Equipments. Now we have creature Equipments because of reconfigure.

Not Jason, but I think the implied argument is that anyone playing a tap-out control deck will want both. And as not everyone will be playing that sort of deck, you're more likely to see the two in the same deck than random chance would suggest. Even if there are two of these types of decks, you have (crudely) a one-in-two chance of having them in the same deck as opposed to a one-in-eight chance. That's to say that it's not an increase in seeing them together when comparing "my deck vs. other decks" so much as an increase when looking at "my deck vs. hypothetical decks."

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Not Jason, but I think the implied argument is that anyone playing a tap-out control deck will want both. And as not everyone will be playing that sort of deck, you're more likely to see the two in the same deck than random chance would suggest. Even if there are two of these types of decks, you have (crudely) a one-in-two chance of having them in the same deck as opposed to a one-in-eight chance. That's to say that it's not an increase in seeing them together when comparing "my deck vs. other decks" so much as an increase when looking at "my deck vs. hypothetical decks."
Also they're the same color. If you're so deep into black that you're casting a BBBB spell, presumably others at the table will have less equity in black.

I'm really interested in what red "artifact matters" cards we're going to get, as I've become increasingly interested in "color self-contained" themes as a way to make sure the theme can be represented in several color pairs.

Speaking of artifact support...

1sna89bjbge81.png

Even if this was just an artifact 2/1, I'd still be stoked about it. How has this not been done before? And the trinket text implies to me that we might actually hit a critical mass of vehicles and vehicle support this block, given that this card would probably be good even without that text.

Speaking of artifact support...

View attachment 6488

Even if this was just an artifact 2/1, I'd still be stoked about it. How has this not been done before? And the trinket text implies to me that we might actually hit a critical mass of vehicles and vehicle support this block, given that this card would probably be good even without that text.

I won’t include Pilots in my cube unless I have a decent amount of things they can pilot (Vehicles) Otherwise it might mislead drafters.

How many Vehicles do you think is fair in a 360 for this Fox to be a fair signal?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I won’t include Pilots in my cube unless I have a decent amount of things they can pilot (Vehicles) Otherwise it might mislead drafters.

How many Vehicles do you think is fair in a 360 for this Fox to be a fair signal?
4 (that have crew 3+), but honestly, if you run stuff like historic or artifacts matter, 1 or 2 will do.

I'm really interested in what red "artifact matters" cards we're going to get, as I've become increasingly interested in "color self-contained" themes as a way to make sure the theme can be represented in several color pairs.

There is this one

78BEDEF3-FFC5-4336-BC50-3846D50C5E4D.png

It doesn’t have that typical reanimator artifact like we see red get every now and then. But it has a different angle. Aggro and sacrifice a cheap artifact with an ETB or leave the board effect. And support some Aristocrats.

I can’t figure out if I find it intersting or bland, but:

To me it looks like Neon Dynesty has combined some mechanics to raise the floor of existing mechanics.

We had auras, equipments and counters. In Neon Dynesty we have modifications.

We had creature and Equipments. Now we have creature Equipments because of reconfigure.
We already had creatures and auras.

Oh wait this is not the weekly find the worst creature that beats the previous posted one.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.21.20 AM.png

Seems pretty good. Not the most embarrassing rate for an equipment that provides double strike to begin with, but also is in a better color for buffing power than white.

I think all of the 2 MV double strikers are pretty close to being high enough power level for cube, and red hasn't had one since Viashino Slaughtermaster which I ran as a reasonable Jund card for a year or so back when my cube was fresh.

This is how you make equipments matter cards that play well in scores of archetypes, wow!

View attachment 6493

Seems pretty good. Not the most embarrassing rate for an equipment that provides double strike to begin with, but also is in a better color for buffing power than white.

I think all of the 2 MV double strikers are pretty close to being high enough power level for cube, and red hasn't had one since Viashino Slaughtermaster which I ran as a reasonable Jund card for a year or so back when my cube was fresh.

This is how you make equipments matter cards that play well in scores of archetypes, wow!
yeah this is an easy, easy include for me.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't know how I feel about reconfigure
It feels a lot like living weapon, but it is a LOT more readable.
You don't get the equipment once your initial creature dies, but you can hop between both modes while the initial creature is alive freely, whereas the germ (usually) dies.

For me, the readability boost is enough of a win to trump almost any intricacies with the creature mode vs. living weapon.