Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

Am I right in thinking that the activated ability can’t be used unless you have a frog to target?
Correct. You need a legal target when activating. If all targets are not legal while resolving it does not resolve. So removing the frog while the activation is on the stack, makes the ability go poof.

In Maro's article the other day about how New Kamigawa came about, he confirmed that there was a keyword about having both an artifact and an enchantment at the same time, but didn't quite make the cut as a named mechanic. As such, I claim victory! (and am also really just hyped to see this theme explored.)

I CLAIM VICTORY.PNG

bananashing slash.png

A Disenchant variant that can be removal and sometimes has a body? I'm in love. The more ways to incorporate these sorts of effects the better in my book, and that ART.

I can't wait to draft this set and will probably hold onto several boxes to do just that once it's reasonable to do so. Holy shit. Is this an overreaction? Yes. Do I regret committing to it? Heck no.

edit: huh, there are a lot of artifact creature and enchantment creatures in the set, so this is probably going to be great in retail limited.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'll cube the red fencing ace. I don't like how the art doesn't really look at all like a creature, but double-strike is a solid infect-esque build-around mechanic, it's an artifact creature for all that's worth, it has a very decent floor, and since you can tutor for it with stoneforge mystic it gives a lot of consistency to such archetypes. It's possible I'll try the flametongue robo-archer as well, but that's not as obvious of an inclusion.
I'll probably just not post anymore on this thread, since I don't want to ruin anyone's fun with that set with my disappointment. I'll just leave Hoverbikes and DJs for them and in the end probably still find 3 or 4 cards I might bother to try for cube. Let's see.
I find it cathartic, so you're welcome to as far as I am concerned.

Anyone mentioned this card yet?
kappatechwrecker.jpg
It’s a shame that you’re limited to removing a deathtouch counter, otherwise this would create a nice synergy with Master Biomancer.

It’s a shame that you’re limited to removing a deathtouch counter, otherwise this would create a nice synergy with Master Biomancer.
I think realized at some point that *a lot* of reasonably-powered mechanics become oppressively OP as the game goes on for decades. There's real power creep and it's not even intentional. (Well, mostly unintentional.)

+1/+1 counters have existed since Day One and there's a critical mass of effects abusing them. (And people like me are also extremely vocal whenever they do too many mechanics w/+1/+1 counters...I got extremely sick of them for a while there.) At some point, they had to start looking for alternative types of counters. I agree they're a bit weird (and hard to physically do without special dice in real life) but I do think it is a smart direction to try.

It's also quite ironic because I'm really not a huge fan of the slicing/dicing of everything in Magic but this case I think it really works and serves a very necessary purpose.

White Scooze! This card seems like it would be useful in a variety of situations.
View attachment 6501
I'm really loving this card, it's a standout of the set for me. I don't love the fact that it's base stats are 1/1, but I'll gladly take another actual creature I can tutor with Stoneforge Mystic.

I'm pleasantly surprised that people have had such a warm reception towards the Reconfigure mechanic. When I initial saw reconfigure my first thought was "this is going to summon an internet hate parade talking about how creatures as equipment are inelegant" or something along those lines. Instead, the response has been very positive. I'm quite happy there!
Speaking of artifact support...

View attachment 6488

Even if this was just an artifact 2/1, I'd still be stoked about it. How has this not been done before? And the trinket text implies to me that we might actually hit a critical mass of vehicles and vehicle support this block, given that this card would probably be good even without that text.
I like this hotshot! Having an artifact 2/1 for 1 that is also an artifact is new space, and it opens up a lot of possibilities for weaving artifacts and aggro together without having to play super parasitic cards. Depending how many other good flat artifact and reconfigure creatures are in this set, I think Toolcraft Exemplar might actually become a good option again for Cubes with non-invasive artifact themes.

As for the crew "trinket" text, I think that might actually end up being relevant after this set. There are some decent looking vehicles that have high crew requirements which this enables pretty well. I'm not saying the synergy is going to be the reason anyone plays this card, but I don't think it's going to be worthless, either.

Upriser-Outlaw-NEO-672.jpg
Upriser-Outlaw-showcase-NEO-672.jpg

LOOK At this motherfucker's hair!
I want to be this guy. Well, maybe not the second one, but definitely the first one :cool:.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.21.20 AM.png

Seems pretty good. Not the most embarrassing rate for an equipment that provides double strike to begin with, but also is in a better color for buffing power than white.
I'm really liking Reconfigure for mono-red. Outside of some random Phoenixes, Red can have a hard time re-building after board wipes. Normal Equipment can help to bridge the gap after the wipe by keeping some amount of "power" on the board, but they can't do anything without a creature to attach to. These reconfigure cards are great because they stop being creatures while equipped, so they fall off and become creatures again after a board wipe. This means they can wear more equipment even if you don't draw another creature in the immediate future!
This card's like, way better than Flametongue Kavu, right?
Why yes, I would like to shoot something for 2 and then sac a treasure to Goblin Welder to bring this back. Kind of you to ask.
I mean, 4 damage > 2 damage, and 4/2 > 2/3, typically, but this does hit face and planeswalkers as well, and has a flexible Channel mode. I wouldn't say way better, but it's definitely intriguin.
I think Twinshot Sniper is probably "better" than FTK in the sense that it's more flexible and more synergistic, but I don't think they really fill the same role. This is a removal spell that bridges the gap between artifacts and discard, FTK is a value top-end 187 card that can be an (increasingly medium) beater after the fact. I think I'm more likely to cube with Twinshot Sniper in the future, but that's only because I have not been overly impressed by FTK when I've played it and it never really does what I've needed my red 4s to do in the various iterations of my main cube.

I think this card is actually a lot better than FTK in my list:
surgehackermechp.jpg

Having a card that comes down, kills a small thing, and then upgrades some small aggro idiots into a reasonable threat in the late game is really quite nice. This also dodges most sorcery-speed creature removal, so it can be pretty hard for the opponent to interact with. In addition to being aggro top-end, Midrange can use this reasonably too as some sort of dork slayer. The "soft glow" treatment I listed above is also very pleasing to look at. As an upside, Surgehacker Mech can be completely crewed by Siege Rhino. If that doesn't make the card good, I don't know what does!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
4 mana is a lot these days, and so is crew 4. I'm not immediately convinced Surgehacker Mech is better than Twinshot Sniper looking purely at the abilities. Obviously Surgehacker Mech is colorless, but... I don't know. If you deal more than 2 damage with it, you probably have one or more vehicles on board that you can't crew.

4 mana is a lot these days, and so is crew 4. I'm not immediately convinced Surgehacker Mech is better than Twinshot Sniper looking purely at the abilities. Obviously Surgehacker Mech is colorless, but... I don't know. If you deal more than 2 damage with it, you probably have one or more vehicles on board that you can't crew.
Well, crewed vehicles can crew vehicles right (cornercase where you have one creature with power 2, one vehicle with crew 2 and power 4, one vehicle with crew 4)? Still, I agree that vehicles suffer from the problem of being bad in multiples.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, crewed vehicles can crew vehicles right (cornercase where you have one creature with power 2, one vehicle with crew 2 and power 4, one vehicle with crew 4)? Still, I agree that vehicles suffer from the problem of being bad in multiples.
Yes, but a vehicle that is used to crew another vehicle gets to attack just as many times as a vehicle that isn't crewed ;)

View attachment 6502

A Disenchant variant that can be removal and sometimes has a body? I'm in love. The more ways to incorporate these sorts of effects the better in my book, and that ART.

I can't wait to draft this set and will probably hold onto several boxes to do just that once it's reasonable to do so. Holy shit. Is this an overreaction? Yes. Do I regret committing to it? Heck no.

edit: huh, there are a lot of artifact creature and enchantment creatures in the set, so this is probably going to be great in retail limited.
Really nice piece of removal! We are actually being granted a bounty of this type of effect, as this was also spoiled:
1643550490873.png
Flexible instant speed removal that is still fair while allowing for force of will type plays.